Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 AM   #121
asd
High school junior varsity star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 623
asd has an OK reputation so far
Default

i wonder how many users on this board have, at one point, been regular users of Yahoo! Launch..
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:38 AM   #122
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,391
MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd
i don't know if you remember what you wrote prior to that, but you attempted to discredit youtube's success by mentioning its spending of venture capital in a weak attempt to prove broadcast's success...

Not at all. Again, please do not distort my arguments. You've already done so once, saying that I support Cuban for commisioner. The point I made was that while youtube was successful in attracting users and has indeed taken over the marketshare for online video, they had no business plan other than to be bought. I didn't add this in my initial post, but by 1999, broadcast.com was bringing in close to 100 million annually. Cuban obviously had a business plan. My point is that in the end, Cuban did better than those who developed youtube even though their express purpose was to be bought and his wasn't... there is no reason for him to be envious... he has his money and he didn't spend nearly as much as youtube in venture capital... In fact, he made money before his company was bought.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:53 AM   #123
The Mamba
High School Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 818
The Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this board
Default

Stern is a racist little clown. Thinks he is George Bush Jr. of the NBA.
The Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 AM   #124
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,391
MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd
myopic? after comparing the number users and estimating the amount of time that it took yahoo to make the $5 Bil back, just to get back to neutral, the product fell short...

what else is there to review?

Not really... When you've broken even, have made money, are still making money, and will continue to make money based on an investment a number of years ago, that's success. Perhaps you expected Yahoo to dominate online video, but they were dominant long enough and are still profiting on their investment...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:59 AM   #125
asd
High school junior varsity star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 623
asd has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Not at all. Again, please do not distort my arguments. You've already done so once, saying that I support Cuban for commisioner. The point I made was that while youtube was successful in attracting users and has indeed taken over the marketshare for online video, they had no business plan other than to be bought. I didn't add this in my initial post, but by 1999, broadcast.com was bringing in close to 100 million annually. Cuban obviously had a business plan. My point is that in the end, Cuban did better than those who developed youtube even though their express purpose was to be bought and his wasn't... there is no reason for him to be envious... he has his money and he didn't spend nearly as much as youtube in venture capital... In fact, he made money before his company was bought.

you must be tired. go to sleep. i never said that cuban didn't rake in money. cuban made the majority of his money by selling a product that turned out to be a bust. it's simple as that. the reason why we've been arguing all this while.

before the sale, cuban was making millions. after the sale, he made billions. big difference.

It wasn't a fair exchange. $5Bil. for a bust. Cuban got lucky, and Yahoo got the short end of the stick.

If you want to make up some numbers on how Yahoo made great profits through Broadcast, because that's what you'd have to do to disprove me, go ahead.
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:03 AM   #126
asd
High school junior varsity star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 623
asd has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Not really... When you've broken even, have made money, are still making money, and will continue to make money based on an investment a number of years ago, that's success. Perhaps you expected Yahoo to dominate online video, but they were dominant long enough and are still profiting on their investment...

still profiting? haha...that's a good one...you must not be aware of the current state of the online, video market...google video and youtube are the major players...other video sites are also coming out, copying youtube...and you think that there's room for profit for yahoo...as if there ever was profit after the $5Bil cost that they had to overcome...your argument has just turned towards the direction of the inane


Last edited by asd : 11-02-2006 at 03:05 AM.
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:05 AM   #127
asd
High school junior varsity star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 623
asd has an OK reputation so far
Default

i'm calling it a night..thanks for ending it with a laugh.
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:15 AM   #128
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 8,391
MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd
still profiting? haha...that's a good one...you must not be aware of the current state of the online, video market...google video and youtube are the major players...other video sites are also coming out, copying youtube...and you think that there's room for profit for yahoo...as if there ever was profit after the $5Bil cost that they had to overcome...your argument has just turned towards the direction of the inane


I get the feeling you haven't checked out launch in a while, so I'll let you do a little homework and figure out how Yahoo is still drawing a profit from Launch... It's pretty easy to deduce... Hopefully you're smart enough to figure it out... If not, I've wasted my evening just talking to you... you wouldn't have understood anything...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #129
asd
High school junior varsity star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 623
asd has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
I get the feeling you haven't checked out launch in a while, so I'll let you do a little homework and figure out how Yahoo is still drawing a profit from Launch... It's pretty easy to deduce... Hopefully you're smart enough to figure it out... If not, I've wasted my evening just talking to you... you wouldn't have understood anything...

Online Video Market
YouTube www.youtube.com 42.86% ($1.65 Billiion)
MySpace Videos 27.36%
Yahoo! Video Search 7.22% ($5.7 Billion)

there it is according to hitwise.com...look at the utter domination by youtube compared to Yahoo...like you said, launch must be reeling in those huge profits
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #130
KingofKings718
Great young streetballer
 
KingofKings718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 149
KingofKings718 has an OK reputation so far
Default

D. Stern is that dude, but he seriously need to fall back and go to a barmitzvah or something. Classic Red Auerbach though LOL. R.I.P.
KingofKings718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #131
asd
High school junior varsity star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 623
asd has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
I get the feeling you haven't checked out launch in a while, so I'll let you do a little homework and figure out how Yahoo is still drawing a profit from Launch... It's pretty easy to deduce... Hopefully you're smart enough to figure it out... If not, I've wasted my evening just talking to you... you wouldn't have understood anything...


Internet Deals of the Damned

Broadcast.com: Yahoo bought the company for $5.7 billion as a way to marry TV and the Internet in 1999. It eventually happened, but in 2005, not in 1999 when Yahoo bought the company. The assets were never fully exploited by Yahoo, but it turned Mark Cuban, a PC reseller from Indiana, into a billionaire celebrity.

http://news.com.com/Internet+deals+o...3-6124131.html

why don't you do us a favor and stop talking out of your ass...
it's starting to smell in here...
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #132
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,475
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default

good points Kblaze, Max, Ced

Stern needs his ass kicked if he was seriously considering raising the goal...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:46 PM   #133
asd
High school junior varsity star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 623
asd has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Stern needs his ass kicked if he was seriously considering raising the goal...

you sound like a fan of the wwf who is hating on vince mcmahon. stern has been doing a good job of promoting himself and marketing his own character to the fans. i mean, he's not even a player, but everyone knows about him and can recognize him in a crowd.
that's awesome.

Last edited by asd : 11-02-2006 at 12:48 PM.
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #134
asd
High school junior varsity star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 623
asd has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd

Internet Deals of the Damned

Broadcast.com: Yahoo bought the company for $5.7 billion as a way to marry TV and the Internet in 1999. It eventually happened, but in 2005, not in 1999 when Yahoo bought the company. The assets were never fully exploited by Yahoo, but it turned Mark Cuban, a PC reseller from Indiana, into a billionaire celebrity.

http://news.com.com/Internet+deals+o...3-6124131.html

why don't you do us a favor and stop talking out of your ass...
it's starting to smell in here...

no meritless reply this time, ay, maxfly?
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 PM   #135
DCL
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,078
DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board
Default

i would endorse the idea of raising the rim in the nba.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy