Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
mjc1241
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default So if no LeBron, no Wade, no Bosh - what next?

D'Antoni needs a PG or passing SG/SF to run this system and Duhon aint it. Until we gets some semblence of a starting PG or a player ala Joe Johnson (possible), LeBron or Wade (dreaming), then this system will continue to have points where it bogs down. If the summer of 2010 doesn't shake out that we get that superstar to hang the franchise hat on, what do you do next? Overpay a player that is not worth it and does not work in this system or take an approach like this:

1. No 1st round draft pick UNLESS we can buy one again like we did from the Lakers last year. Memphis would be a team to approach because they cannot afford to pay three guaranteed contract for first round picks, re-sign Rudy Gay, as well as Mike Conley and OJ Mayo when it is time to re-up. I also see them keeping Z-Bo when his current deal is up since he has fit so well in with the club. Plus, they are kinda cheap so they look like a good partner on a draft pick buy. Then use that first round pick and the second round pick to infuse more talent into the roster. Lance Stephenson (CIN); or Scottie Reynolds (Nova); or John Sheyer (Duke); or Dexter Pittman (Texas); or G.Vasquez (Maryland); or Sheron Collins (KS). Just to name a few who may be available.

2. Buy Eddy Curry out of his final year at a discount rate, thereby having a bit more coin for FA signing(s). He is not going to be used anyway and we cannot trade him.

3. Re-sign David Lee. Nuff said!!!!

4. Go after Joe Johnson. In JJ, you have an Allan Houston type player who you can run the offense through. If we can only get one FA other than LBJ or DW, then he would be the one that we can really use and fits. This also allows you to have money left over from the $20 - $24 mill of cap space to re-sign your own FAs (see D. Lee) and with Jeffries 11 mill coming off in 2011, you give yourself some cushion for another signing or a trade. D'Antoni loves him and the feeling is mutual. You then dump Duhon since you have T. Douglas as your backup, as well as picking up a guard in the draft.

5. Duhon, Hughes, Millic, Mobley - gone!! Nuff said.

6. Re-sign Al Harrington, Nate Rob and J. Bender. Discount prices for everybody but they have proven their worth to me if they are wiiling to stay.

So our roster in the summer of 2010 would be: (under contract)
Joe Johnson
Gallo
Chandler
Lee
Hill
Douglas
Harrington
Nate Rob
Bender
Jeffries
Pick 1
Pick 2

Now here's the kicker and I wanted to save the best for last. I would then go after T-Mac, again at a discounted rate, to team with Joe Johnson to get some more juice back in MSG. Think about this starting lineup:

Joe Johnson (PG)
T-Mac (SG)
Chandler (SF)
Gallo (PF)
Lee (C)

You don't worry about shots because in this system, EVERYONE gets shots. You have size in the backcourt with JJ and T-Mac which brings back memories of Houston and Spree. You have Chandler at the three who is up and coming and if you didn't notice, Gallo can actually rebound and block shots and today's game doesn't call for a traditional four anyway. You have instant offense coming off the bench in Nate Rob and Harrington, length in Bender, defense in Jeffries and Douglas, along with Hill spelling minutes at PF and center to get some experience. The draft picks watch. And again, Jeffries comes off the books in 2011 and you can tweak the roster as needed.

All I'm saying is that if the grand LeBron, Wade, Bosh plan doesn't pan out, then a good backup plan is in order. BTW, Yao, Dirk, Amare, Kobe, the other FA are not leaving their teams.
mjc1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Default Re: So if no LeBron, no Wade, no Bosh - what next?

Or you could sign Joe Johnson to fill the SG because we wont have a true SG after this season. Then you can sign Amar'e Stoudamire because we won't have a true center that can actually play.

PG: ?
SG: Johnson
SF: Gallinari
PF: Chandler
C: Stoudamire

I just had an interesting idea. Lets say that the Nets get the first round pick and draft John Wall. They would'nt need devin harris. Maybey we send some future picks or the expiring contracts of curry or jeffries over there for him. Then wed have a starting 5 consisting of

Harris
Johnson
Gallo
Chandler
Stoudamire

Sounds like a pretty good team to me. Idk about a championship but we could get pretty far in the play-offs.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Jasi
Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1241
Now here's the kicker and I wanted to save the best for last. I would then go after T-Mac, again at a discounted rate, to team with Joe Johnson to get some more juice back in MSG. Think about this starting lineup:

Joe Johnson (PG)
T-Mac (SG)
Chandler (SF)
Gallo (PF)
Lee (C)

That would be a good team, yet we would go nowhere as long as we have D-Lee as the starting C.

Don't get me wrong, I love his offense, but his D against opponent big men is terrible.
I strongly believe we should move Lee at PF and get a defensive center somehow.
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

First of all let Harrington walk.. Unless if he signs for a cheap contract don't bring him back, I'm sick of him. I agree that we need a PG but our biggest need is a true center or a post presence. I really like Joe Johnson, he'll be a great signing for us and he can also play the point at times. We need to give Douglas and Hill more PT, they're our future and can contribute tremendously for us. I'm not sure on how much $$ we'll have in the offseason but probably enough for one max and then some. Maybe we can split JJ with Amare with us getting rid of some more cap space(jeffries, curry) then those are 2 good signings. If lebron, Wade are there then of course we got after them but they probably won't. Trade Curry's contract as a expirer if we haven't already traded him for a team cutting in salary.

??(possible trade)
JJ
Chandler
Lee
Amare
6th-Gallo
Hill, Douglas, Bender, ??
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
mjc1241
Kids at the park dunk on me

Amare is not leaving Phoenix so you can forget about that one. Too much fun playing with Nash just like Shawn Marion found out after leaving Phoenix, Nash makes the game so much easier for him. Curry will not be traded because he doesn't play. No one is going to take his contract "just because", expiring contract and all. He is on no one's radar so a buyout is more than likely in the off season. I like Chandler at the SG position. The kid is only going to get better so if you don't think he is the answer, are you looking to trade him? I don't think that Walsh is looking to move Chandler due to his athleticism and upside. He is one of the only Knicks who can create his own shot off the dribble. I just like Harrington for the instant offense off the bench. As far as Lee at center, granted I know it is not the best case scenario but, as I said before, Amare is not leaving Phoenix, then who? Curry is not moving and no one is going to trade for Jeffries UNLESS Hill, Douglas or Chandler are added and unless Walsh gets a hell of a deal, that won't happen. Last time I checked Jeffries only averages 4.5 ppg and 3.9 rpg. He's not exactly lighting the world on fire. Let's go through the list of available big men FA in the summer of 2010:
Yao - not leaving Houston
Dirk - not leaving Dallas
Amare - not leaving Phoenix
Bosh - leaving Toronto via trade of free agency. Going to MIami, Houston or Dallas if not traded by the deadline.
Boozer - if Bosh does not go to Miami, Boozer goes there via free agency. Trade before deadline - maybe?
Shaq - hell no!

Did I miss someone?
mjc1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
bluechox
Banned

I think Joe Johnson is the only guy we have a real shot at getting, and thats only by overpaying him. I dont think hes worth a lebron salary, but the knicks will get desperate and pull another allan houston (100mil). Then trade for arenas (sprewell situation) and make a run to the finals as a 8th seed again. Just kidding. We can try a run at mcgrady, but he hates cold weather so no chance there. Bosh is headed to miami with wade most probably unless the raptors hand him over on a silver platter to the lakers for season tickets.
Let lee walk, his defense is terrible, he can score but gives it right back with poor defense. He can't block for his life. He got schooled by scola who isnt even puting up big numbers, then bargnani and bosh lit him up.
I envy miami for having a superstar already, having 20 mil cap already, having great weather. They are set for next year. We will probably see a good team down in miami after the summer.
Most likely scenario, we dont get anyone, call up jeffries' brother and sign him up. Save some money and make curry the ballboy, put nate on stilts and play him at center.

Last edited by bluechox : 01-16-2010 at 08:36 AM.
bluechox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

i agree D.Lee should play PF not C. As far as picking up a Center in the FA class, i would go for Tyson Chandler. Trade for Arenas once he does his time, Scoop up JJ and get Tracy McGrady.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
i agree D.Lee should play PF not C. As far as picking up a Center in the FA class, i would go for Tyson Chandler. Trade for Arenas once he does his time, Scoop up JJ and get Tracy McGrady.

PG: Arenas
SG: Johnson
SF: T-Mac
PF: Lee
C: Tyson Chandler

Idk, not feeling that line-up. Amar'e is much better then Chandler and T-Mac is on his last legs. Arenas will not be as good of a player if he goes to jail and is away from the game for too long.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

i dont get the whole get tmac idea.im not really sold on JJ as a our best player.he's not a top tier guy to me.he's a second level guy.i wouldnt mind amare.i actually think getting gilbert would be a gr8 idea.ur gettin a guy who will most likely be focused,humbled and have something to prove.not to mention,all this controversy distracted from the fact that the guy can flat out light up the scoreboard.him in D'antoni's system would be like watching a spread offense in college football.I really want bosh.i dont think wade or lebron is realistic at this point.bosh is talented,jovial,humble yet has a gr8 personality,has something to prove winning wise and versatile.would love to see us manuever our way back into the draft also
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
i dont get the whole get tmac idea.im not really sold on JJ as a our best player.he's not a top tier guy to me.he's a second level guy.i wouldnt mind amare.i actually think getting gilbert would be a gr8 idea.ur gettin a guy who will most likely be focused,humbled and have something to prove.not to mention,all this controversy distracted from the fact that the guy can flat out light up the scoreboard.him in D'antoni's system would be like watching a spread offense in college football.I really want bosh.i dont think wade or lebron is realistic at this point.bosh is talented,jovial,humble yet has a gr8 personality,has something to prove winning wise and versatile.would love to see us manuever our way back into the draft also

The Celtics have made an offer for Nate Robinson and it is said that a first round pick would have to be involved to interest the Knicks.

Clap it up for Donnie if he can get us a pick out of this. I can't believe we had memphises but Robinson veteoed the trade.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
The Celtics have made an offer for Nate Robinson and it is said that a first round pick would have to be involved to interest the Knicks.

Clap it up for Donnie if he can get us a pick out of this. I can't believe we had memphises but Robinson veteoed the trade.

I saw this in the Yahoo Sports section. Just don't see why the Celtics would want to do this though.

Nate doesn't fit. He isn't consistent on offense and doesn't play defense. But if a pick can he be had then see ya later.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #12
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

nate robinson is eddie house with a handle and hops....its not a loss or gain imo.ill take the pick tho while they figure it out.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: