Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES
 
NY-Knicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Knicks nation
Posts: 5,853
NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Pick up games

What is the talent level at your nearby outdoor court, rec center etc? And are the players serious and competative or is it more fooling around?
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Haaksbergen
Posts: 171
Button has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Pick up games

12 yr olds, who have never played basketball ever, kinda lame no1 plays alot close to my home,
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,973
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Pick up games

I have found the level of competition at my park is contagious. At a default level, it can often be full of low level players. However, once legitimate competition begins to establish itself, often one by one, things begin to pick up.

How it usually works here. . .I'll head out at the start of the year, the moment the temperature hits 55 (Michigan). There will often be a smorgasbord of players present, representing all ability ranges. Bit by bit, day by day, local basketball players of whom I'm familiar with will see me down at the court, stop by and begin to infuse the court with a little more talent. From there it just builds and builds and builds until finally (right around this time of year) the court is largely filled with at least moderate talent - high school varsity/low level college (i.e. right down my alley).

There's no way I can honestly sit here and pretend the talent level goes higher than that but for a small city it's just about right. To answer your question, it IS at least serious and competitive.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,340
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Pick up games

Like most places, it varies... but certain times = the type of competition you will find. Earlier in the day and on Sunday, if there enough people around to play, they are probably the type that would get cut from the basketball team without much thought (some more than others). Weekday evenings and Saturday mornings the competition is moderate to very good though. There are at least 10-15 people who play that have played college ball/overseas in Europe... the best probably being this 6'9 guy named Joe who played and coached overseas (he's probably about 30 now) but he only tried when the competition goes up... otherwise he just kind of messes around. There are guys with more game than him who play there, but they ain't no 6'9
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES
 
NY-Knicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Knicks nation
Posts: 5,853
NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Pick up games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Like most places, it varies... but certain times = the type of competition you will find. Earlier in the day and on Sunday, if there enough people around to play, they are probably the type that would get cut from the basketball team without much thought (some more than others). Weekday evenings and Saturday mornings the competition is moderate to very good though. There are at least 10-15 people who play that have played college ball/overseas in Europe... the best probably being this 6'9 guy named Joe who played and coached overseas (he's probably about 30 now) but he only tried when the competition goes up... otherwise he just kind of messes around. There are guys with more game than him who play there, but they ain't no 6'9

does it elevate your game and can you really hang with those former college players?
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Sticks
Serious playground baller
 
Sticks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Enschede
Posts: 437
Sticks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Pick up games

This is Holland and not one of the major basketball stronghold cities such as Utrecht or Amsterdam. You figure what the talent level around here is.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,340
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Pick up games

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
does it elevate your game and can you really hang with those former college players?

I can hang with some of them... but not all of them. There are a few guys who can score at will on anybody who comes in there so I don't really feel too bad I am pretty inconsistent with moving my feet... sometimes I can and sometimes I can't (or maybe I just guess right). Guys who are quick can get by me and guys who are taller are going to be able to shoot over me... so if they can play then they are probably going to shit on me pretty good

Can I hang with them in a 5 on 5 game though? Absolutely. I do a lot of good things for a team so if I can get some help on a guy who might be too quick for me... then everything will be fine. If people don't want to help, then we are probably going to have a problem. I love the challenge of going against someone who is really good tho. Even I keep getting beat, just the fact that I'm testing myself feels good and it's great experience.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES
 
NY-Knicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Knicks nation
Posts: 5,853
NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Pick up games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I can hang with some of them... but not all of them. There are a few guys who can score at will on anybody who comes in there so I don't really feel too bad I am pretty inconsistent with moving my feet... sometimes I can and sometimes I can't (or maybe I just guess right). Guys who are quick can get by me and guys who are taller are going to be able to shoot over me... so if they can play then they are probably going to shit on me pretty good

Can I hang with them in a 5 on 5 game though? Absolutely. I do a lot of good things for a team so if I can get some help on a guy who might be too quick for me... then everything will be fine. If people don't want to help, then we are probably going to have a problem. I love the challenge of going against someone who is really good tho. Even I keep getting beat, just the fact that I'm testing myself feels good and it's great experience.

I'm 6'3, 200 pounds with pretty long arms. That makes me able to back off on defense and still contest the shot and I am fortunately bigger and stronger than most of the guards. I am not quick though, need to work on my lateral speed.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,340
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Pick up games

Yea my arms are short so I have to be right up on someone if I want to bother their shot. Most of the time I'll start off close right up on someone for that very reason... it bothers a lot of people and they won't want to do anything. For someone who is good though... that's what they are hoping for lol. They will most likely blow right by me because I don't have the quickness to stay with someone from that close... but even still, I figure I might as well make them make a play rather than just dance around and get an open jump shot cus they shook me

Quick lateral movement is difficult to attain... change of direction takes such incredible force it's ridiculous.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES
 
NY-Knicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Knicks nation
Posts: 5,853
NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Pick up games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea my arms are short so I have to be right up on someone if I want to bother their shot. Most of the time I'll start off close right up on someone for that very reason... it bothers a lot of people and they won't want to do anything. For someone who is good though... that's what they are hoping for lol. They will most likely blow right by me because I don't have the quickness to stay with someone from that close... but even still, I figure I might as well make them make a play rather than just dance around and get an open jump shot cus they shook me

Quick lateral movement is difficult to attain... change of direction takes such incredible force it's ridiculous.

I know, but I can certainly get a bit quicker and way faster in the open floor as well. But I often use the 'Kobe on Westbrook' strategy (if they aren't threepoint shooters). Just back off on defense and if they shoot the shot contest it because I am bigger. If they do have a midrange jumper, pullup shot I will still back off and when they come at me for some reason I am good at seeing when they stop and shoot just put my hand in the face. Result; brick. I sometimes back off even more when they come at me, have got to stop doing that.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
Venom
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 298
Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Pick up games

I live near Lincoln High school (the NYers of ISH will know what I'm talking about), and all the kids ever do is play ball in the park. Whenever I go, I always end up playing against their varsity team. They're incredibly tough to play against, especially if you're smaller than them. They're 6'-6'3", and extremely quick. I enjoy playing against them because they're a year or two older than me and I pick up a lot of new skills from them. However, they're the only competition I have in that park. The only other people who show up are middle school kids, wanna-be gangsters, and adults, whose reflexes are of those of a tortoise.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #12
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09
 
phoenix18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 15,670
phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Pick up games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
I live near Lincoln High school (the NYers of ISH will know what I'm talking about), and all the kids ever do is play ball in the park. Whenever I go, I always end up playing against their varsity team. They're incredibly tough to play against, especially if you're smaller than them. They're 6'-6'3", and extremely quick. I enjoy playing against them because they're a year or two older than me and I pick up a lot of new skills from them. However, they're the only competition I have in that park. The only other people who show up are middle school kids, wanna-be gangsters, and adults, whose reflexes are of those of a tortoise.



This Lincoln?

For me, not much comp near me for now, but when I attend GT next year the comp should be awesome.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #13
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES
 
NY-Knicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Knicks nation
Posts: 5,853
NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Pick up games

ever played against Lance Stephenson?
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
Venom
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 298
Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Pick up games

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18


This Lincoln?

For me, not much comp near me for now, but when I attend GT next year the comp should be awesome.

Yeah, that Lincoln.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
ever played against Lance Stephenson?

No, I haven't, but I've played against Sebastian Telfair's younger brother, Ethan Telfair. The guys that play there can easily play college ball/be NBA prospects.

Last edited by Venom : 05-08-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:46 AM   #15
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan
 
Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,650
Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Pick up games

Sometimes it's a bunch of drunk guys. Sometimes the local high school team comes out. It just all depends on the day.

On average though it's a usually a bunch of decent players who are out there more for fun than real competition. But we still get competitive.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy