Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #16
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Anybody else need the ball to be effective?

Yea I would say the most annoying is when someone sets a screen and then does nothing... no roll, pop, or anything. A lot of the times in pickup games it doesn't matter too much because people almost always go under the screen (from my experience) so you can just shoot it... but every now and then you will get someone who wants to go over it or switch and if then it's like the screen was for absolutely for nothing.

Same goes for when I screen for others. Half the time I am wide open on a roll or pop and dude isn't looking for me... I never get too upset about tho because most people don't know how to play like that so I don't expect it. If they haven't played organized ball before then it's more than likely that they don't know what to do unless they watch basketball all the time and just know the game. They just know that sometimes when someone sets a screen that they have clear lane to the basket. I happen to be one of those guys who hasn't played organized ball but just knows the game, so I do the little things like space the floor for people or rotate to spots when they penetrate.. but yea like in your case... most of the times they don't see me.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 01-18-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #17
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea I would say the most annoying is when someone sets a screen and then does nothing... no roll, pop, or anything. A lot of the times in pickup games it doesn't matter too much because people almost always go under the screen (from my experience) so you can just shoot it... but every now and then you will get someone who wants to go over it or switch and if then it's like the screen was for absolutely for nothing. .

Damn, i hate that.
In my last game the other team were double me on the screens and the C or the PF never roll to the basket or give me a open pass.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #18
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

i used to be like that, but i think it's important to learn the entire game of basketball. push urself to expand your game, never know when addition skills will be needed in order for ur team to win. learn it all, it's fun being able to play w/ any team and exploring the game
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
i used to be like that, but i think it's important to learn the entire game of basketball. push urself to expand your game, never know when addition skills will be needed in order for ur team to win. learn it all, it's fun being able to play w/ any team and exploring the game

Yea it's amazing how much better your game will get if you just expand your knowledge. It may take a while to translate to the court, but you can make things a lot easier on yourself and your teammates by just knowing those little nuances of the game.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #20
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Hmm.. Sorry if I'm reviving an old thread, but I want to say something lol.
Yeah I also need the ball to be effective. When I'm playing a 5v5 or something I usually am utterly useless. I get the ball about 5 times in 15 minutes (that's why I dislike playing big games) and when I do.. a person just says PASS ME THE BALL. I'm usually out of sync and miss alot and do bad passes. That's why a coach who watched me play several 1v1 games(won them all by about 5 points in a 1 point per shot game) told me I was the most or one of the most skilled but one of the least effective : (
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Sticks has an OK reputation so far

I used to play like this because I was the guard on my team for lack of a better option. I'm currently learning the process of being a good off the ball player. I've become much better at coming off screens and much more aware of when to cut and when not to cut to the basket on a drive and when to take a back-door and when to leave a center open to make his move.

I've also become much more of a defensive stopper so on offense I like to expend a bit less energy by not having to control the ball all the time, it really frees me up to take out one of their swingsmans by playing in their face defense.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #22
Venom
Serious playground baller

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool

No. Sometimes I even enjoy being on the passing end of a give and go or setting screens more than actually scoring. There are so many things that can be done off the ball, but a lot of people fail to see that.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: