Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default when you cross the ball over, how do u protect the ball?

when i cross it over from right to left, i keep the ball as far from my body as I can and I try to stay low, but some defenders with quick hands and long arms will try to reach across my body. Should I use my off ball hand to guard against this? how should I do it? a vid or pic would be helpful thanks.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
djsmkb8
I airball my layups

djsmkb8 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: when you cross the ball over, how do u protect the ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
when i cross it over from right to left, i keep the ball as far from my body as I can and I try to stay low, but some defenders with quick hands and long arms will try to reach across my body. Should I use my off ball hand to guard against this? how should I do it? a vid or pic would be helpful thanks.

Cross Step and put hand out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b18s26Usrg
djsmkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
Devin, I'm not sure I entirely understand the circumstance here. When you're crossing right-to-left you have the ball as far away from your body as possible? Meaning you're dribbling as close to your defender as you can? Also, are you facing up your defender when you're crossing over? If so, could you further explain what you mean by your defender reaching across your body? They're not just plucking the rock away mid-cross?

Some basic rules of thumb for crossovers include only crossing over when it's necessary. If a defender seems to be sitting on a cross, then it is likely not a good idea to perform the cross. Sometimes a fake cross/in-and-out dribble is in order. Or, as Push mentioned, a jab/cross-step.

In terms of using an off-arm. I do this whenever the situation calls, not just on crossover attempts. Most often, when I'm handling the ball, my off-hand will always be elevated (aka not resting by my side) as it will allow a cross to reach that other hand quicker, it'll allow me to pull up for a jump shot quicker, and it'll act as an arm-bar if defenders attempt to make a play on the ball.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch

Ai2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

A couple simple things. Keep the ball low, fast, and hard. Also at the end have the ball close in to stop the d tryna reach around your back after. But yeah it's all about timing and situation
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Kiarip
High School Starter

Kiarip is considered somewhat coolKiarip is considered somewhat cool

If you're crossing from right to left, after you finished the dribble with your right hand bring it over to the left protecting the ball with your fore-arm, and keep your elbow down.

Make sure the crossover is wide enough so that your left hand gets the ball when it's almost fully extended.

Meanwhile you want to push your body such that it's in between your defender and the ball.

If he's trying to reach for the ball as you do this you're gonna use your right arm which has kind of been hanging there half-bent up to this point, and you put your forearm on his forearm, and you sweep his arm away by lowering your forearm and making a sweeping motion down and back out to the right (don't put it on his bicep/tricep area, because you might end up jamming his arm between yours and your body and you could hurt the guy.)

You don't want to make the sweeping motion too deep though, you still want your right shoulder to be pointing forward, as the next step is to place your right foot on the outside of his right foot, and to turn your back to him so that you will slip by him, and not end up colliding into his right shoulder with your right shoulder.
Kiarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Without seeing you do it, it's kind of hard to tell but I get a lot of steals when guys are crossing over. I watch guys who favor one hand then when they go to the weaker hand I just wait for the crossover. So if you have a weak hand work to make it as strong as the other. If the defender is right on me I usually go between the legs or behind the back. Sometimes I will push the ball out wide as if I'm going to crossover do fake in and go out.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: