Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
mjkittredge
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mjkittredge has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

This is where communication skills come in handy. Say hi, ask whats going on, see what agreement you can come to with them. If they are jerks and won't involve you, ignore them and keep on doing what you were doing.
mjkittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
Zak

Zak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputation

never happens lol, the places i hoop if i'm shooting around they ask me if i want to run a game.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
That's risky .
high risk high reward and makes you better
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

don't let them push u around. i'd keep on shooting around. to hell w/ em.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #20
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Then you are going to get run over plain and simple lol. You can't just take up a half court just shooting around when people want to run a game. If they aren't willing to let you play then is when you can have a problem.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #21
Splitz77
Good High School Starter

Splitz77 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrayon
The other day I was just playing a small game with my friends at my local gym when ten people walked in and decided that they could play a full court even thought there were people shooting around or playing a game with other people. They started to play so that left everyone no choice but to sit on the bleachers and wait. The game lasted forever and lots of people ended up leaving including me. People like this piss me off because they don't seem to realize that there are other people around besides them. Also, I really hate it when you're just shooting around in the gym when some random dude comes in gets the rebound and takes a shot, first of all this is rude because he didn't even ask if he could take a shot or not. Secondly his friends think that they can follow suit and they also get the rebound and take shots.

I don't know about you guys but this happens to me a lot.

Everyone of those events would end up in a fight if i were their. I'd be pissed if somebody re bounded MY ball and took a shot with MY ball without asking. Or if i was shooting around and some people just tried to start a full court game, i wouldnt get out of the way, I'd make sure one of them got laid out.
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 AM   #22
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitz77
Everyone of those events would end up in a fight if i were their. I'd be pissed if somebody re bounded MY ball and took a shot with MY ball without asking. Or if i was shooting around and some people just tried to start a full court game, i wouldnt get out of the way, I'd make sure one of them got laid out.

You ever spent in time in jail man?
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:23 AM   #23
artex
♫♪♫

artex is considered somewhat coolartex is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitz77

seriously man, those fools would get socked up for those kindve antics here
artex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #24
Magic bird
The Banner

Magic bird has decent reputation

Just play a 21 point game. Winner takes court. Loser sits on the bleachers. Nothing to lose + IF you do lose you'll probably be tired and want to sit on the bleachers just my opinion tho. It's tried and tested:)
Magic bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #25
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

We play to 21 winner stays in and you can only stay in two games in a row or if we have less than 3 teams we sub in at 11.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #26
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
We play to 21 winner stays in and you can only stay in two games in a row or if we have less than 3 teams we sub in at 11.
Always interesting to hear how things are done somewhere else besides my region. We play games to 11 by one's and two's. The winner stays unless, in very rare instances, it becomes very clear they are stacked and not planning on losing at any point soon.

We try to keep it as simple as humanly possible. Winners stay. No mid-game subs. Players who have sat the longest get first opportunity to play with new group. It's surprisingly diplomatic. If they've been there and have yet to play, they get first dibs. The rest of the players sitting out will shoot free throws for the remaining spots.

I don't think I've ever played pickup games to 21. With no stoppages and consistently sprinting up and down the court, even in the best shape of my life, I'm not sure I could make it to 21 without succumbing to jogging and slacking at some point. Are you referring to 21 by one's and two's? So it'd be like playing to 42-50 points in a regular game? I just don't think there'd be any way I'd come across 10 players who could all go full strength in a pickup game for that long of a time over the course of numerous contests.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I don't think I've ever played pickup games to 21. With no stoppages and consistently sprinting up and down the court, even in the best shape of my life, I'm not sure I could make it to 21 without succumbing to jogging and slacking at some point. Are you referring to 21 by one's and two's? So it'd be like playing to 42-50 points in a regular game? I just don't think there'd be any way I'd come across 10 players who could all go full strength in a pickup game for that long of a time over the course of numerous contests.

2's and 3's. We've tried 1's and 2's to 11 but then everyone just stands around the 3 point line and shoots 3's which messes up the flow of the game.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
2's and 3's. We've tried 1's and 2's to 11 but then everyone just stands around the 3 point line and shoots 3's which messes up the flow of the game.
Ha, alright, that makes more sense (going to 21 by 2's and 3's).

However, not to carry this out, but what changes between a game to 11 by 1's and 2's and a game to 21 by 2's and 3's that seems to make players more likely to stand around and jack three pointers in the former but not in the latter? The difference in overall value of a 2 in a game to 11 (18% of total score) and a 3 in a game to 21 (14%) is negligible.

I understand sometimes things on basketball courts are what they are, with no apparent explanation. I was just wondering if there was more to it than that in this case.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #29
Kiarip
High School Starter

Kiarip is considered somewhat coolKiarip is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Ha, alright, that makes more sense (going to 21 by 2's and 3's).

However, not to carry this out, but what changes between a game to 11 by 1's and 2's and a game to 21 by 2's and 3's that seems to make players more likely to stand around and jack three pointers in the former but not in the latter? The difference in overall value of a 2 in a game to 11 (18% of total score) and a 3 in a game to 21 (14%) is negligible.

I understand sometimes things on basketball courts are what they are, with no apparent explanation. I was just wondering if there was more to it than that in this case.

It's because a 3 is worth twice as much as a 2 when you play with 1's and 2's, and since there's no quality team defense going on in pick up games, 3s are too easy to get open for.

Also in half-court games 3s are way easier than 2s in relation to how easy it is to score in a full-court game, because there's no transition, and you can have shooters waiting on the line straight from the defensive rebound.

When I play half-court I always play all 1s to be honest. full court 2s and 3s is ok, 1s and 2s is pushing it because occasionally there are players who are really damn good from long range, and the game simply becomes screen-fest for the shooter.
Kiarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #30
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiarip
It's because a 3 is worth twice as much as a 2 when you play with 1's and 2's, and since there's no quality team defense going on in pick up games, 3s are too easy to get open for.
Alright, again, I'm trying not to overthink this (I'm bound to anyway), but is the idea that 2 being twice as 1 where 3 is not twice as 2 the most relevant aspect of this difference? I feel like the true relevant portion would be that "three pointers" in each instance still only award one bonus point beyond a normal score.

Granted, the 3-to-2 versus 2-to-1 does still make a difference, as a game of 21 by 2's and 3's could be won by making 7 "three pointers", where a game to 11 by 2's and 1's could be won by making only 6 "three pointers". In both instances, a non-three-pointer would have to be made 11 times in order to reach the final point totals of either 11 or 21. I'm just not sure having to make six threes to win instead of seven would make enough of a difference to justify people beginning to shoot threes wildly.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: