Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Euroball5 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Vertical jump bible journal

So i just did phase 2 week 1 workout 2. Not too hard but next week's gonna be killer cause nearly all the sets from this week double and i'll update my stats at the end of phase 2.
Euroball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Thanks men
Have you started a program? If yes which one? How's it going?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #18
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroball5
Have you started a program? If yes which one? How's it going?

Not yet.
I'm "semi-injuried" in my left leg, some ligaments thing and i don't want to force them .. and now i got many games and i need all the rest. Maybe i'll start in February.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #19
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
So i just did phase 2 week 1 workout 2. Not too hard but next week's gonna be killer cause nearly all the sets from this week double and i'll update my stats at the end of phase 2.

Though I was doing the intermediate reactive phase... Phase 2 was when I got like no results and started to get pain in my knees. Be careful dude.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #20
Al3aZeF
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Al3aZeF has an OK reputation so far

good job bro, i'm doing novice weigh and i finished weak1.
Al3aZeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #21
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
So I am currently doing the vertical jump bible bodyweight program and thought it would be a good idea to post a journal here to keep me motivated and show everyone my gains.

Here are my Beginning stats:
Height:1m73(5'8)
Weight:63kgs(115 lbs)
Standing vertical: about 20 inches
Running vertical: about 22 inches
Goal: Touch rim by 2011

You remind me of myself when i was 13-14 year old 8th grader 5'2 103 lbs. Right after our school's season was done. At AAU tryouts for the Force top 10 program in the state. Made it, not the point. I recorded an 83 (6'11) in standing reach and my max vertical reach was 103 inch ( 8'11) that is a 20 inch max vertical. that means my standing was less than 20 inches.

My vert remained around that all year. Then next year for HS ball our team went 17-3 came in 2nd when a few of our starters went up to practice with the varsity. After practice ppl started trying to grab rim only one coud dunk at this time. I went and sadly missed the net smh. Of course i got a bunch of lol's. They were like liloj ( actually nickname in real life) you will ever touch rim let alone dunk.

After they said that i started looking on internet for a vertical leap program. I heard about Air Alert so i decided to do that during season. It added 17 inches on my verrtical. It went from 20 inch to 37 inches in a matter of months. Gave me knee pains though and i didnt even do the crazy amount of sets. After season we tested it. I was pumped to show my teammates what i could do, so i jump probably the highest i ever jumped. Realistically that was an overestimate. It was probably 35-36 inches. I could get up when i was little. A few days later during our team off season workout when we played a pick up game i saw the lane, nobody box ed me out i just jumped looking to grab rim but luckily thats where the ball was and i tip dunked it during game at 5'5, everyone went crazy, only time i have tip dunk during game in my life. Sadly a few weeks later i quit playing basketball pretty much for all of HS. for the next 2.5 years. lost most of vertical, and skill until just last calandar year my friends told me to play in their league. I started saying ok, i'll play once a week, then as months passed i slowly started playing a tad bit more. Then as summer came i just fell back in love with the game, slowly started getting my skill back, now i am trying to take it to the next level.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #22
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

my bad i forgot to answer the question.

Yeah the jump bible and air alert are perfect for beginning athletes. 13-15 years old. It really is all about habitual jumping. Jumping a lot. Plyos is all it is. It is going to improve your leg strength and speed up reactiveness. Just don't over due it or you will get knee pains since your legs aren't strong to handle all the pressure from all that jumping. You have 20 inches vert now if you continue doing it, it will go up to about 25-28 inches. so a 5-8 inch range realistically. Then stop doing any training, until HS. Save your knees dude. Just when you play ball or practice do everything aggressiely try to do backboard slaps over and over again etc.

Then your vert will be around 27-30 inch range for HS. Then start the big boy programs. that includes weights, plyos, olympics lifts etc. ALOT of WEIGHT low reps just like swaggin said. I just started do all that in the beginning of this year, after reading a Memphis Tigers athletic trainer article. It works i feel faster and more explosive and i have only been doing it for 2 weeks. Sadly i was doing it all wrong before i read that article. High reps low weight = no explosiveness gained ala speed, vert etc.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:39 AM   #23
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Ok thanks for the help liloj but aren't you like a 6'4 dude with good hops?

I remember seeing a video of you playing a while back.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #24
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
You remind me of myself when i was 13-14 year old 8th grader 5'2 103 lbs. Right after our school's season was done. At AAU tryouts for the Force top 10 program in the state. Made it, not the point. I recorded an 83 (6'11) in standing reach and my max vertical reach was 103 inch ( 8'11) that is a 20 inch max vertical. that means my standing was less than 20 inches.

My vert remained around that all year. Then next year for HS ball our team went 17-3 came in 2nd when a few of our starters went up to practice with the varsity. After practice ppl started trying to grab rim only one coud dunk at this time. I went and sadly missed the net smh. Of course i got a bunch of lol's. They were like liloj ( actually nickname in real life) you will ever touch rim let alone dunk.

After they said that i started looking on internet for a vertical leap program. I heard about Air Alert so i decided to do that during season. It added 17 inches on my verrtical. It went from 20 inch to 37 inches in a matter of months. Gave me knee pains though and i didnt even do the crazy amount of sets. After season we tested it. I was pumped to show my teammates what i could do, so i jump probably the highest i ever jumped. Realistically that was an overestimate. It was probably 35-36 inches. I could get up when i was little. A few days later during our team off season workout when we played a pick up game i saw the lane, nobody box ed me out i just jumped looking to grab rim but luckily thats where the ball was and i tip dunked it during game at 5'5, everyone went crazy, only time i have tip dunk during game in my life. Sadly a few weeks later i quit playing basketball pretty much for all of HS. for the next 2.5 years. lost most of vertical, and skill until just last calandar year my friends told me to play in their league. I started saying ok, i'll play once a week, then as months passed i slowly started playing a tad bit more. Then as summer came i just fell back in love with the game, slowly started getting my skill back, now i am trying to take it to the next level.

Not to nitpick man but that would be a 24 inch vert if your reach was 6'11 and your reach was 8'11. I'm surprised Air Alert worked that well for you tho... I did a similar program called Dunk Now and I may have gained an inch on it... over 2 months. I was doing 50 reps + on some things wearing myself out and getting nowhere. It's amazing what kind of difference there is when you actually do it right lol. 3 inches in 5 weeks compared to 1 inch over 2+ months. Such a ***** that I had to go and get injured. My story is similar to yours tho... I was so into bball when I was younger, then I started skateboarding... then I got really into football... and then when I was 19 I started playing off and on and for the last few months I have been so into the game. I think the fact that it's so accessible has a lot to do with it. It's so easy to go somewhere and run some games and you want to be the best one there. I know for myself I go into something aiming for the top. Maybe I don't make it that far but I usually get to a point where I am proud of how well I am doing.

Now I am just getting off on a tangent lol
Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #25
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Damn just finished phase 2 week 2 hardest week so far. Hope it gets easier, I'll update stats next week.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #26
5foot6
I brick open layups

5foot6 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Not to nitpick man but that would be a 24 inch vert if your reach was 6'11 and your reach was 8'11. I'm surprised Air Alert worked that well for you tho... I did a similar program called Dunk Now and I may have gained an inch on it... over 2 months. I was doing 50 reps + on some things wearing myself out and getting nowhere. It's amazing what kind of difference there is when you actually do it right lol. 3 inches in 5 weeks compared to 1 inch over 2+ months. Such a ***** that I had to go and get injured. My story is similar to yours tho... I was so into bball when I was younger, then I started skateboarding... then I got really into football... and then when I was 19 I started playing off and on and for the last few months I have been so into the game. I think the fact that it's so accessible has a lot to do with it. It's so easy to go somewhere and run some games and you want to be the best one there. I know for myself I go into something aiming for the top. Maybe I don't make it that far but I usually get to a point where I am proud of how well I am doing.

Now I am just getting off on a tangent lol
i did dunknow too, and only gained like an inch in two months, but im gonna start it again pretty soon, hope it works this time.
5foot6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #27
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5foot6
i did dunknow too, and only gained like an inch in two months, but im gonna start it again pretty soon, hope it works this time.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

The reason it doesn't work is because it's a bunch of BS. That is not how you gain inches on your vertical. You'd be better off doing one set of heavy squats a month then doing that God forsaken program.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #28
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Ok thanks for the help liloj but aren't you like a 6'4 dude with good hops?

I remember seeing a video of you playing a while back.

+1... some guy posted LA ISH'rs playing and said you were the huge black guy...
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #29
5foot6
I brick open layups

5foot6 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

The reason it doesn't work is because it's a bunch of BS. That is not how you gain inches on your vertical. You'd be better off doing one set of heavy squats a month then doing that God forsaken program.
so i shouldnt start it again?
and also, are my arms short if im 5'6", and have a standing reach of only 6'10"?
5foot6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #30
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5foot6
so i shouldnt start it again?
and also, are my arms short if im 5'6", and have a standing reach of only 6'10"?

No you should not start it again. You need to focus on explosive exercises not the crap they have you do in programs like Dunknow and the program it rips off (Air Alert.)

Well either your arms are really short, you have low set shoulders, a massive head... or a combo of those. I am 5'11 with a 7'7 standing reach and that's only average... so I'm 5 inches taller yet my reach is 9 inches taller. How old are you? Are you still growing?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: