Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

Rekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Do you hate it when you got a shorter dude on you and dont get the ball enough?

so i was playing pickup ball today as usual, i am 6'2 and got some dude who is like 5'5 and weak on me.

some random dude came in try to play point guard, so we et him. this guy just basicly go down every trip just chuck up 3.and shot like 1-10. the only reason we kept the game close was we were grabbing the offensive rebounds like crazy. i think i was like 1-2 just shooting over my defender.

obviously not the first time these kind of things happen, just got home from it and feel like ranting.
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
5foot6
I brick open layups

5foot6 has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Do you hate it when you got a shorter dude on you and dont get the ball enough?

happens to me sometimes, but im the 5'6" guy. i can usually guard people up to like 6'2" though. im usually the shortest on the court, but im lucky if i can guard someone under 5'10".
5foot6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Do you hate it when you got a shorter dude on you and dont get the ball enough?

Yea it's amazing when that happens... First thing I do when I come down the court is examine the mismatch... and the most elementary, give it to someone who has a substantial height advantage (unless it's evident they have no game). I was playing on Friday, came down the court and saw that my dude was being guarded by a guy was like 5 inches shorter and a weak defender. I called his ass over to post him up... got it to him deep, he backed him down no problem and got an easy layup. Of course I guess I am a fukin genius tho right cus nobody else did that... gimme a break.

I just think a lot of times everybody just wants to do their own thing and they don't look for stuff like that... so it's on you to call for the ball and draw attention to yourself. If they see you down there... then it should be almost impossible for them not to throw you the ball cus the mismatch is so insane lol. If they just don't pass you the ball... then just go for the offensive boards so they see that you are scoring and hopefully that will make them pay attention to you.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I always want to take small guys to the post and I hate it when I dont get the ball.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm a well below average post player so my first thought on a mismatch is not post. Rather, it hinges more on shooting over or attacking upon. I have found through the years that sometimes you just need to demand the ball. Often I will v-cut and get myself open 15 feet away from the bucket but to no avail. If it's clear my teammate appears to prefer pounding the ball up top for 18 seconds per possession, then it's time to get open and "BALL!" it. Strangely, even the most confident of ballhandlers are startled by a stern enough demand and provide the rock in immediate fashion.

I don't usually get this snippy, but Andrew Bynum provides a suitable example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOzQnwhqFE
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

That happened to me one time in an open gym. Im like 6'5" and there was this kid that was maybe like 5'3" on my and i was down in the post and noone gave me the ball. it pissed me off.
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
BlueCrayon
Get Buckets

BlueCrayon is considered somewhat coolBlueCrayon is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
That happened to me one time in an open gym. Im like 6'5" and there was this kid that was maybe like 5'3" on my and i was down in the post and noone gave me the ball. it pissed me off.

Wow, I can see why you're pissed you had more than a foot of height on him.
BlueCrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Whoa. I always feed the guy in the post.

With that said, I am usually left guarding someone six three or taller all the time. I am about 5'9 so its a big advantage for them but I usually agitate them by attacking their dribble and playing some motivated D.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

at 6'2" you'd be one of the tallest guys on the court at the courts i play at.

and last time i played with someone that tall he made me look like freaking steve nash cause he'd catch everything i lobbed to him and could finish over his man in the air every time.

i had more fun putting a little soft touch on my passes to him than i've had in years trying to score the ball. it was the first time i saw how much fun it can be to rack up assists, set up teammates, and exploit mismatches on the fly.

pick up games are such a hodge podge of playing ability/size/bb iq - gotta have the wherewithal to analyze match ups
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Junny
I air my balls

Junny has decent reputation

Quote:

Why on earth did the other team decide to put him on you? Was it only just one possession? It must've been right?
Junny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

never any shourter guys than me
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junny
Why on earth did the other team decide to put him on you? Was it only just one possession? It must've been right?

Well at my schools open gyms you get 5 randoms guys to go out on the court and everyone picks the worst player they see to defend so that they look good and this kid got stuck with me. Plus we only play til someone scores 2 baskets and im pretty sure we scored 2 baskets in 2 possessions
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: