Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
tsforthrees
red vines cray

Default San Francisco 49ers official offseason thread

Yeah, I know we haven't made the playoffs for the last 7 years, but we're going to win the division next season, and after that, who knows. here's my dream offseason for the Niners.

We have two first round picks, the 13th and either the 16th or 17th (coin toss with the Titans), and six other draft picks, one in each round, not counting the compensentory pick we'll probably get for Bryant Johnson (6th or 7th rounder). We also have a ton of cap room and a lot of money available, but with the lack of star power in the free agent class this offseason, I can see us trying to build the trenches.

With some of our cap room, we need to go after a guard like Logan Mankins or Stephen Neal to replace our own free agent, David Baas. Baas has been a huge disappointment and our GM wanted Mankins at that spot before the Patriots grabbed him a few picks earlier. The left side of the line would be made up of Joe Staley and Logan Mankins, with the average yet reliable Eric Heitmann manning the center position. That leaves the right side of the line. At right tackle, Adam Snyder may have had one of the worst seasons I've ever seen out of an offensive linemen, giving up around 10 sacks and probably 3 or 4 QB hurries/hits per game. Tony Pashos was injured after his first game as the starter and we don't really know what we have with him, so with the 13th overall pick in the 1st round we take Anthony Davis from Rutgers, in my opinion the best overall tackle prospect in the draft (yes, including Okung). Chilo Rachal gets one more year to prove he belongs in our future plans, but we add a guard in the fourth or fifth round to push him in camp and perhaps take over if he struggles.

Now that the offensive line has been addressed, we'll move on to the next biggest problem on the Niner offense, the lack of a bonafide playmaker. Yes, the Niners have a lot of young offensive talent: Vernon Davis, Mike Crabtree, Frank Gore, Josh Morgan. What we don't have, however, is speed. Someone who can take a screen pass and take it 30 or 40 yards, or take a sweep and get a first down on 2nd and 12. We need that home run threat. Gore is a great back, but he isn't that guy unless we're playing Seattle or St. Louis, he's more of the steady pound it five yards, make a guy miss and then carry two tacklers for two or three more. To give us that extra jolt on offense, we take C.J. Spiller out of Clemson with our 17th overall pick. Spiller is an immediate upgrade over our current backup running back, Glen Coffee, and would be an infinitely better return man than either Michael Robinson or Arnaz Battle. Our special teams problems fixed and our home run threat found, we move on to our next, less glaring offensive issue.

While our wide receiver group is better than it has been since T.O. and Tai Streets were our starters back in the early 2000's, we are lacking that speedy slot guy who can go over the middle and be a safety valve for Alex Smith. Currently we've been using Josh Morgan, but he is best used on the outside, as is Jason Hill, who Singletary is iffy on anyways. In the third round, we take Jordan Shipley from Texas. He can provide that inside toughness that will allow us to free up Crabtree, Davis, and Morgan on the outside.

Now that the offensive side of the ball has been taken care of, let's move on to the defense. In the 3-4 it all starts with the nose tackle, so we need to lock up Aubrayo Franklin either long term or slap the franchise tag on him. I would use the franchise tag and see if he'll work as hard for a contract next year as he did this season.

Here's where things get a little tricky. Many Niner fans will argue that an outside pass rusher is our most dire need on defense, but i say no. Our defensive coordinator, Greg Manusky, is forced to play people back in coverage because our safeties have provided the coverage of linebackers in the past couple seasons. Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, and Ahmad Brooks are young and improving, and unless we can get a free agent like Elvis Dumervil, I say leave it be (maybe grab someone in the fourth or fifth for depth purposes). What we need on defense is more team speed, especially in the secondary. Michael Lewis and Mark Roman (who lost his starting job, thankfully, to the ball hawking Dashon Goldson) have been burned over and over and over again by smart QB's (and not so smart QB's) and offensive coordinators for the last three seasons. Nate Clements is forced to give receivers 10 yard cushions because he can't keep with guys on deep routes and has no help over the top from our slow safeties. With our second round pick, we should take Morgan Burnett from Georgia Tech. Burnett would step in as free safety, Goldson would slide over to the strong safety position, and Clements can go back to doing what he does best, jamming receivers and getting physical.

With the rest of our picks, we go depth on the offensive line, secondary, and linebacker.

I know alot of Niner fans will disagree with me on pass rusher, but it would be a waste to spend a first round pick, or even a second round pick, on a Brandon Graham or a Jerry Hughes. We are painfully slow in the secondary and it is overcompensated for by pulling our linebackers into coverage. So, agree or disagree, lets talk Niners. Other fans are welcome too, even Cowboy fans ;)

Hope this is informative for fans who don't really follow the Niners too. Always nice to get to know other teams and expand your football knowledge.
tsforthrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Default Re: San Francisco 49ers official offseason thread

I don't see the Niners taking a RB with their first round pick. They have Gore and Coffee was a 3rd rounder last year. IMO, the Niners will take a CB with one of their first round picks. Nate Clements is rumored to change position as a Safety next year and the Niners are already thin in CB position. Spencer is reliable, Bly is done next year and Brown looked decent out there. I don't think the Niners will go into next year as Spencer and Brown as their CB's.

The other 1st round pick will be an offensive lineman. I agree with your assessment of Snyder and its obvious he's not starter material. Barry Sims played well for Staley last year and I wouldn't be suprised if he were starting at RT next year. I prefer if they draft a RT though because Sims is up there in age and it would provide depth.

I could also see the Niners taking a QB if they were to fall in the first round. Just a hunch...... hopefully they don't trade up for one. But the Niners are high on Nate Davis and Smith has one more year to prove himself.

I would love to see them sign Makins. It would bolster our o-line tremendously.

With our 2nd rounder I see the Niners taking a speedy WR that can play the slot and play special teams. Our kickoff and punt returner situation was terrible. Nate Clements was lost for the year because he was returning punts...something your 2nd best defensive player shouldn't be doing. A speedy guy that can play the slot and return kicks would be ideal.

I could also see the Niners going for a pass rusher in the 2nd round, but I think Ahmad Brooks and Lawson showed promise out there. I don't think the Niners will sign a Dumervill because they Niners will probably franchise Franklin, and with Clements, Smith and Franklin making big money, I don't think the Niners will spend any more.

Also I expect Micheal Lewis to be cut if Clemets does move to safety. Maybe Goldson will take his place?
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Basically I see the Niners drafting:

1st Round - CB
1st Round - OT
2nd Round - WR
3rd Round - LB
Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsforthrees
So, agree or disagree, lets talk Niners. Other fans are welcome too, even Cowboy fans ;)

Hope this is informative for fans who don't really follow the Niners too. Always nice to get to know other teams and expand your football knowledge.
how do you feel about Alex Smith and the future of your QB situation....

as a browns fan, i can understand about disappointment with Qbs...
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

I like what Alex Smith did as your QB. He really impressed me with his play when he got time. He showed he had good chemistry with Davis and Crabtree and that's who you want him to have chemistry with, your two best offensive pass catching threats.

I'd let him play next season instead of trying to find a QB in the draft.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

If CJ Spiller is there with your 2nd pick? SF HAS to take him. Forget "need" and target value pick. He also would help the offense in more ways than Cofee would. CB Haden is who i'd target with the first pick. If he is gone, best OT available. But the draft can be tricky so that could change. If a top talent drops to you? Forget need. Atleast that is how I see it. For example, I understand SF took WR last year with Crabtree. If WR Dez Bryant is there with your first pick? Take him. Forget need. And I'd still with the 2nd first round pick would ignore need and take CJ Spiller if he were there as well.

I understand CB/OT are needs. I dont know the cap situation with SF. You can perhaps go into free agency for a OT or take one 2nd round. But Crabtree, D.Bryant, V.Davis, F.Gore, CJ Spiller as offensive weapons? Nice.

Last edited by GOBB : 01-19-2010 at 04:11 PM.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
tsforthrees
red vines cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
how do you feel about Alex Smith and the future of your QB situation....

as a browns fan, i can understand about disappointment with Qbs...

Alex is a QB who has failed when under pressure. If the Niners are down in the fourth quarter by a touchdown or less, chances are he's throwing a pick. He still thinks way too much and his instincts for the game haven't changed at all since 2006. The only guy I'd want over him right now from free agency or the trade block though would be McNabb, and I don't think the Eagles are ready to part with him, even with that bonus he's getting this summer. If they are, I would hope the Niners would make a reasonable offer. If not, I think we can make the playoffs with Smith as a starter, but we'd never be able to string together wins in the playoffs.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
tsforthrees
red vines cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
If CJ Spiller is there with your 2nd pick? SF HAS to take him. Forget "need" and target value pick. He also would help the offense in more ways than Cofee would. CB Haden is who i'd target with the first pick. If he is gone, best OT available. But the draft can be tricky so that could change. If a top talent drops to you? Forget need. Atleast that is how I see it. For example, I understand SF took WR last year with Crabtree. If WR Dez Bryant is there with your first pick? Take him. Forget need. And I'd still with the 2nd first round pick would ignore need and take CJ Spiller if he were there as well.

I understand CB/OT are needs. I dont know the cap situation with SF. You can perhaps go into free agency for a OT or take one 2nd round. But Crabtree, D.Bryant, V.Davis, F.Gore, CJ Spiller as offensive weapons? Nice.

Our cap situation is good, we are arguably have one of the smartest front offices when it comes to handling money (backloading contracts, etc.). If offensive tackle isn't addressed in free agency, and Davis is on the board at 13, I think the Niners need to take him. I think he's close enough to BPA that it fits the system you are talking about.

Spiller is first on my wishlist. Yes, we spent a third rounder on Coffee last year, but we also were planning on implementing a power running game that he fit into. He really doesn't bring anything to the table that we don't already have with Gore and Michael Robinson. Adding Spiller changes that, and brings that touchdown threat to the field every time he touches the ball, whether it be a screen, a pitch, or a kick or punt return. Definitely my favorite player in the draft of players that will probably be available.

I didn't include Haden because I'm guessing he'll be gone by the time the Niners pick.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
tsforthrees
red vines cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
I don't see the Niners taking a RB with their first round pick. They have Gore and Coffee was a 3rd rounder last year. IMO, the Niners will take a CB with one of their first round picks. Nate Clements is rumored to change position as a Safety next year and the Niners are already thin in CB position. Spencer is reliable, Bly is done next year and Brown looked decent out there. I don't think the Niners will go into next year as Spencer and Brown as their CB's.

The other 1st round pick will be an offensive lineman. I agree with your assessment of Snyder and its obvious he's not starter material. Barry Sims played well for Staley last year and I wouldn't be suprised if he were starting at RT next year. I prefer if they draft a RT though because Sims is up there in age and it would provide depth.

I could also see the Niners taking a QB if they were to fall in the first round. Just a hunch...... hopefully they don't trade up for one. But the Niners are high on Nate Davis and Smith has one more year to prove himself.

I would love to see them sign Makins. It would bolster our o-line tremendously.

With our 2nd rounder I see the Niners taking a speedy WR that can play the slot and play special teams. Our kickoff and punt returner situation was terrible. Nate Clements was lost for the year because he was returning punts...something your 2nd best defensive player shouldn't be doing. A speedy guy that can play the slot and return kicks would be ideal.

I could also see the Niners going for a pass rusher in the 2nd round, but I think Ahmad Brooks and Lawson showed promise out there. I don't think the Niners will sign a Dumervill because they Niners will probably franchise Franklin, and with Clements, Smith and Franklin making big money, I don't think the Niners will spend any more.

Also I expect Micheal Lewis to be cut if Clemets does move to safety. Maybe Goldson will take his place?

I am banking on Clements staying at corner. I think with better safety help behind him he can get back to doing what made him a great corner in the first place, getting physical. That is why I drafted Morgan Burnett in the second round, so that Goldson can slide to strong safety and have Lewis on the bench or cut.

I also doubt we sign a Dumervil, but I was saying that is the only way I could see us making a drastic change at outside linebacker, as opposed to doing so through the draft.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
tsforthrees
red vines cray

are there really that few niner fans here? i know our fan base has deluded since the 90's and early 2000's, but come on, lets get some chatter
Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
craigthomasb
College star

i like the 9ers, i think they should go for another WR in the draft, having crabtree, davis and another really good reciever will help smith, (morgan is good, but would be a very good 3rd option and an average 2nd) its not the right time to build round a new QB, they need to give him one more full season, then assess next off season, their players are young enough to allow some time

go for a WR, then OL, then CB, not sure what i FA situation is like with cap and all, but SF should be an atrractive destination for younger talent this off season
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsforthrees
I am banking on Clements staying at corner. I think with better safety help behind him he can get back to doing what made him a great corner in the first place, getting physical. That is why I drafted Morgan Burnett in the second round, so that Goldson can slide to strong safety and have Lewis on the bench or cut.

I also doubt we sign a Dumervil, but I was saying that is the only way I could see us making a drastic change at outside linebacker, as opposed to doing so through the draft.

I always thought that Clements would eventually become a FS in his later years. He's a great tackler and plays the run very well. Maybe the Niners staff believe he's lost a step or two? We'll see, but the reports I've read indicate he will change position next seasons.

I do agree that the Niners need a passrusher. Who's the last 49er player to get over 10 sacks a game? Andre Carter? I just don't see the Niners signing another an expensive defensive player this summer which leads me to assume they will draft one.

But offensive line is a must in this draft/free agent period. The passing game and running game will open up.

Btw, is this the first time in Smith's career Smith will be with the same offensive coordinator for consecutive years? It seems that most of the Niners offensive coordinators during Smith's tenure are here for a year and they're out.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

We have a lot going for us heading to next year:

1. Frank Gore
2. Vernon Davis
3. Michael Crabtree and Josh Morgan
4. Alex Smith is growingi very well/have the same offensive coordinator.
5. Great run defense
6. One of if not the best linebacking corps
7. Excellent kicker, excellent punter.

But there are many areas which we need to improve. Our pass D ranked 21st and obviously we had injuries however it's clearly it needs some work. Our O-Line really needs help, we have good pieces there but I want to see a complete puzzle. Josh Morgan and Vernon Davis still drop too many balls. And our pass rush was so up and down. I'd love to get some consitency there.

That being said with the two picks I'd love to see these picks:

Bryan Bulaga (sp?)
Joe Haden

Now if we get C.J. Spiller that's the only deviation from this I wouldn't mind. Or if Nate stays at CB and we draft Earl Thomas (S) that's okay too.

More than anything I thinkin young talent will be excited to play in SF, I think Smith to Davis/Crabtree/Morgan will become very dangerous and I think that finally we have a coach who will keep this team going in the right direction.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
craigthomasb
College star

question for everyone else here, would you give up one of the 1st rounders and the 3rd rounder for brandon marshall??

me, personally, i would, crabtree and marshall with morgan as the 3rd reciever would give the 49ers one of, if not the best offensive line ups in the legaue, then use the rest of the draft picks for OL and DBs
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb
question for everyone else here, would you give up one of the 1st rounders and the 3rd rounder for brandon marshall??

me, personally, i would, crabtree and marshall with morgan as the 3rd reciever would give the 49ers one of, if not the best offensive line ups in the legaue, then use the rest of the draft picks for OL and DBs

No and no (to the bold).
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: