Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 11-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
BigAl
High School JV MVP

BigAl has an OK reputation so far
Default Live Draft this Saturday/#6 pick

Hey guys, I think Im going to try the PF/PG strategy in a league starting this Saturday. I have the number 6 pick in a 10 team H2H league.

Im torn between Dirk or Arenas. Im thinking 3 different strategies.

I could go Dirk then a Nash/Kidd PG for round 2.

Or I could go Arenas with a Bosh/D. Howard for round 2.

The third option would be to go Arenas then Nash/Kidd with a guy like Odom for round 3.

Of course these are all depending on availability. The main question is, in a PG/PF type strategy do I go with the best PF for my first pick or the best PG? How deep are both positions later in the draft?
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
BigAl
High School JV MVP

forgot to mention the cats:

Points, Rebounds, Assists, Steals,Blocks, 3's, FG%, and FT%
Old 11-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Tess Squad
I brick open layups

Tess Squad has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
Hey guys, I think Im going to try the PF/PG strategy in a league starting this Saturday. I have the number 6 pick in a 10 team H2H league.

Im torn between Dirk or Arenas. Im thinking 3 different strategies.

I could go Dirk then a Nash/Kidd PG for round 2.

Or I could go Arenas with a Bosh/D. Howard for round 2.

The third option would be to go Arenas then Nash/Kidd with a guy like Odom for round 3.

Of course these are all depending on availability. The main question is, in a PG/PF type strategy do I go with the best PF for my first pick or the best PG? How deep are both positions later in the draft?

Arenas shouldn't be available, but if he is I'd go with him. D. Howard would be a great 2nd round pick, but if Pierce is available at that 14th pick I'd grab him up. After that you want to look for BLKS and ASSTS for RD 3. Odom would help that, but so would Kirilenko (despite his horrid start to the season). Same with Josh Smith. He will block 150+ again this year, and assts, stls, and rebs should be decent as well.
Tess Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
illexclusiv
I airball my layups

illexclusiv has decent reputation

it's hard to know exactly who you'll be able to draft at 6th. because i don't think dirk or arena's will be available. out of the two, you have a better shot a arenas. i would grab arenas and then next best pf. i like dwight howard or elton brand, if either is available.
illexclusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
BigAl
High School JV MVP

good points.

The league I am in is a private league at work. I know the first 3 will be a culmination of James, Wade, and Garnett just from talking to people. The 4 guy is a huge Kobe fan. That brings up number 5 and Marion, Dirk, and Arenas being available. Im assuming Marion will go.

If I choose Arenas its almost guaranteed the next two picks will be Dirk and Brand.

Sounds like Arenas will be the choice for me.

Assuming I select Arenas, there are two ways I can go. I can go second round with another elite PG like Nash or Kidd and have a good foundation on 3's, steals, assists, and FT% then go to a PF in round 3 like J. O'Neal (I dont think Duncan, Bosh, or Howard will slip to 3).

The other way to go would be to get Arenas, then jump on D.Howard or C. Bosh. Then in round 3 get another PG like Billups (if available) or Bibby. Think Billups can last until 3?

Last edited by BigAl : 11-02-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
illexclusiv
I airball my layups

illexclusiv has decent reputation

al,

i'm in three leagues and i checked the draft results to see which round billups is taken at. he went 2.7, 3.1, and 4.2. and the league he went in the 4th round, we only have 8 teams. so i don't really think he'll last until the 3rd.

i would go with a pf/c in the 2nd round because they're harder to come by in the later rounds. after the 5th, you should still have guards like hughes, parker, cassell, gordon, etc. still available. well, after a strong performance last night, hughes stock should rise.
illexclusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
BigAl
High School JV MVP

In my other 3 leagues Billups went 3.7, 3.5, and 2.5. You may be right...is round 3 too high for Bibby or can he wait until the 4th (assuming Billups is gone in round 3)?

Last edited by BigAl : 11-02-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
BigAl
High School JV MVP

Anyone else have any comments or suggestions on my strategy for Saturday morning?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

I always take the best available player that affects the most scoring categories... Big men are a dime a dozen but PG's and SG' are not so thats something to consider as well.

I agree with illexclusiv overall though.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
BigAl
High School JV MVP

Thats a good point.

Im going to keep a checklist handy so that I know what Im filling and what I need. That way at certain points I can take the best player available and not worry too much.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #11
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far

If you go with Arenas and Ming or Bosh is available come the next pick, I would go with that. There aren't many big men in the next few rounds that will have All-Star stats with such great FT%.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #12
BigAl
High School JV MVP

Yeah I was kind of shying away from the idea of Duncan solely bc of the FT% he carries.

Yao has the better numbers, but Bosh might be a safer bet for reliability (injuries). Plus Im thinking that Bosh might be a bit better than last year this season since he is young and learning.

What do you think? Is Yao worth the risk? Also, what kind of a FT shooter is D. Howard? I know last night he was like 7-8 or something like that. Was that flukish for Howard?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far

Howard shot 59.5% from the line on 7.4 attempts per game last season. That hurts. He has in the past few games been rather good from the line, but was around 60% during the preseason. I think shooting 65% isn't out of the question this year.
Remember Bosh has had his plantar fascitis flair up this year but he is still a solid pick this year.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #14
BigAl
High School JV MVP

Yeah 60% FT is Duncan territory. Bosh and Yao will save me there. Who would you consider a 'healthier' pick between those two?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #15
sonics0034
Serious playground baller

sonics0034 has decent reputationsonics0034 has decent reputation

if marion is available, then take marion... For the 2nd round (14th pick), take either elton brand, ray allen, nash, or CP3... remember not to pick chris bosh becoz of the plantar fascitis that will bother him for the whole season...
sonics0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: