Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 AM   #16
Jinxed
Good High School Starter

Jinxed has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

See here's the problem with the decathlon. It doesn't measure the two most important aspects of athleticism. coordination and agility....Which Walters and smaller MMA fighters like GSP have in spades over Brian Clay...

And Brock MAY, MAY be stronger than Clay..what are you nuts?

Brock Lesnar nearly broke the NFL combine record of 43 reps in the 225 Lb bench press by repping out 42. He also ran 4.6 40yd dash and his Vert was 36.5..at 300 pounds..

Also there is NO ENDURANCE event in the decathlon..the longest event is 1500m..that's medium distance.. it lasts only 4 minutes..while a championship MMA fight lasts 25...

and Clay sucks at the 1500m..he got 5:06 at the Olympics.. I CAN DO THAT....

Clay has poor endurance and has not shown any coordination or agility...

I'll take George St. Pierre over him as an athlete..
Jinxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #17
Jinxed
Good High School Starter

There used to be this TV show called Superstars that had the best athletes face off against each other in 10 different sports.. 100 yard dash, 800 metres (0.50 mi) run, obstacle course, weightlifting, bowling, rowing, tennis, basketball, bicycle racing, and swimming.

The last one in 2003 was won by Jeremy Bloom the freestyle skier turned NFL football player, the previous edition was won by Bode Miller, another skier and before that was even another skier Herman Maier. Apparently skier's are fantastic all around athletes....*shrugs*... Jason Sehorn won 3 straight from 98-2000.

Brian Budd, a Canadian soccer player was a six time winner.

Basketball players that competed in the competition included

Kareem, nate archibald, rick barry,Bob Cousy, Dave Cowens, Adrian Dantley, Dr. J, walt frazier, Darrell Griffith, moses malone, dan majerle, pistol pete, cedric maxwell, earl monroe, calvin murphy, and more

Basketball players didn't do well. The best athletes were generally skiers, soccer and football players, then various track athletes.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #18
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxed
See here's the problem with the decathlon. It doesn't measure the two most important aspects of athleticism. coordination and agility....Which Walters and smaller MMA fighters like GSP have in spades over Brian Clay...

And Brock MAY, MAY be stronger than Clay..what are you nuts?

Brock Lesnar nearly broke the NFL combine record of 43 reps in the 225 Lb bench press by repping out 42. He also ran 4.6 40yd dash and his Vert was 36.5..at 300 pounds..

Also there is NO ENDURANCE event in the decathlon..the longest event is 1500m..that's medium distance.. it lasts only 4 minutes..while a championship MMA fight lasts 25...

and Clay sucks at the 1500m..he got 5:06 at the Olympics.. I CAN DO THAT....

Clay has poor endurance and has not shown any coordination or agility...

I'll take George St. Pierre over him as an athlete..

Well then, were going to have to agree to disagree. Your right, Brock is most likely stronger. I guess what you value in an all-around athlete is not as important as what I value (and most people )

And just so you know. The 1500, he already had the title locked up; he was running his victory lap... He's run a 4:38 before. I bet you can run that too huh?
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #19
MMKM
Local High School Star

MMKM posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMMKM posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMMKM posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

The decathlon does measure coordination and agility, try running hurdles or doing the pole vault. And it measures endurance too, 1500m is a basically a mile. You said it lasts 4 minutes...well yeah, if you're superhuman. You know how much endurance training it takes to run a 4 minute mile? You think Brock Lesnar could run a 4 minute mile? LOL

What track and field DOESN'T measure is an athlete's ability to react to a changing environment and change directions, which is essentially the key to every team sport. You have to read defenses, transition from a lateral movement to a forward movement, change direction instantaneously in all directions. Reaction and lateral movements are the missing ingredients in track and field, besides reacting to the start gun but that isn't really the same.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #20
MMKM
Local High School Star

MMKM posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMMKM posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMMKM posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

And to address the OP, Damien Who? Is that a joke?

Ok, so person A dominates a sport that is played by MILLIONS worldwide based on his sheer physical ability. He's bigger, faster, and stronger than any perimeter player to ever play the game.

On the other hand person B has mastered the art of balancing on his head, bouncing off walls and doing flipdy floos on a trampoline.

How is this even a serious topic? All this proves is how out of touch people are with how hard it is to go pro in a major sport. And regarding the comment that "Brock Lesnar is a great athlete because of his NFL combine numbers," Brock Lesnar failed miserably in the NFL ON THE FIELD, where athletes really show their stuff. He couldn't hack it so he had to go to a wash out sport like MMA.

Bottom line, the best athletes on earth play the sports where the big dollars are. If other guys like Lesnar and Flipdy Floo could take their place and make hundreds of millions, they would. But they CANT.

Last edited by MMKM : 01-25-2010 at 10:58 AM.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #21
Jinxed
Good High School Starter

Brock Lesnar failed in the NFL for one reason. He had no idea how to play football! If you don't think playing football involves skill, then it is obviously a sport you've never played. Bo jackson could not jump on a basketball court without knowing how to play basketball and make the Spurs team. Football isn't as skilled as basketball but you get the idea. Brock never played football, yet he was the last person cut from the team..amazing...if he had grown up playing football he could have...but he grew up wrestling instead..

Quote:
Bottom line, the best athletes on earth play the sports where the big dollars are. If other guys like Lesnar and Flipdy Floo could take their place and make hundreds of millions, they would. But they CANT.

The world's biggest sports...soccer, cricket, basketball are huge moneymakers because they are played in arenas that can sell lots of tickets, they look good on television, exciting to watch..whatever..however those sports don't attract the best athletes, they attract athletes that are uniquely suited to those specific sports..

So why isn't Brian Clay playing football? Or Roman Zerble (the greatest decathlete of recent times and wall street journals top athlete in the world) playing soccer? Not everyone just follows the money..

The show Superstars is somewhat proof of this...Did you watch it last summer? Terrell Owen's (you know, with his supposed 51 inch vert) absolutely EMBARASSED himself... on the other hand Bode Miller..DOMINATED! But football players make more than skier's right? So how is it possible that Bode Miller is such a far greater all around athlete than Terrell Owens?

No basketball player has EVER done well in Superstars..ever..not Dr. J, not Calvin Murphy or Walt Frazier..in fact the only one's who at least performed above average were Pistol Pete and John Havlicek....
Old 01-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #22
Jinxed
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKid117
Well then, were going to have to agree to disagree. Your right, Brock is most likely stronger. I guess what you value in an all-around athlete is not as important as what I value (and most people )

And just so you know. The 1500, he already had the title locked up; he was running his victory lap... He's run a 4:38 before. I bet you can run that too huh?

No, I can't run a 4:38, however if I trained all my life like he has I sure could..put it this way..a 4:38 1500m wouldn't win a high school track meet. a GIRL's high school track meet.

and as I said before four and a half minutes of running is not an ENDURANCE event. it's middle distance..and endurance event is a 3 hour marathon, a six hour bike race, or an 8 hour triathlon....get out of here with calling 4 minutes an endurance event..
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #23
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
No, I can't run a 4:38, however if I trained all my life like he has I sure could..put it this way..a 4:38 1500m wouldn't win a high school track meet. a GIRL's high school track meet.

and as I said before four and a half minutes of running is not an ENDURANCE event. it's middle distance..and endurance event is a 3 hour marathon, a six hour bike race, or an 8 hour triathlon....get out of here with calling 4 minutes an endurance event..

I feel what you are failing to grasp is that I am not saying Clay is the greatest at all these events. There are obviously many people better than him in each event because they train specifically for those events. However, Clay is very, very good at each thing he does. Each person you are bringing up is exceptional at a few key areas, but would struggle immensely in others. Clay is great at everything and that includes strength, agility, flexibility, some endurance and speed. He has it all.

And yes, while the 1500m is not a great endurance test it at least shows his capabilities. I'm sure if the decathlon required participants to run a marathon he would at least be above average.

Basically, the winner of the decathlon is recognized as the greatest athlete in the world just as the 100m dash winner is recognized as the fastest man in the world. It is hard to argue against that.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
thejusman1
I hit open 5-footers

thejusman1 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKM
And to address the OP, Damien Who? Is that a joke?

Ok, so person A dominates a sport that is played by MILLIONS worldwide based on his sheer physical ability. He's bigger, faster, and stronger than any perimeter player to ever play the game.

On the other hand person B has mastered the art of balancing on his head, bouncing off walls and doing flipdy floos on a trampoline.

How is this even a serious topic? All this proves is how out of touch people are with how hard it is to go pro in a major sport. And regarding the comment that "Brock Lesnar is a great athlete because of his NFL combine numbers," Brock Lesnar failed miserably in the NFL ON THE FIELD, where athletes really show their stuff. He couldn't hack it so he had to go to a wash out sport like MMA.

This just about sums up my thoughts on the matter. Are you seriously trying to compare the athleticism of a little-known acrobat to world renowned Lebron James?
thejusman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #25
IBrickShots
Lebrick James

IBrickShots has an OK reputation so far

Lets compare Lebron with Michael Phelps, and Usain Bolt too.

3 way different sports.
IBrickShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #26
Jinxed
Good High School Starter

Quote:

Basically, the winner of the decathlon is recognized as the greatest athlete in the world just as the 100m dash winner is recognized as the fastest man in the world. It is hard to argue against that.

The winner of the decathlon is recognized as the greatest athlete in the world, only because that is the marketing tool used to sell the event. It's like saying the heavyweight boxing champion of the world is actually the baddest man on the planet.

Both of these marketing statements carried some conceivable truth to until MMA came along. There is nothing more primal, more all encompassing in terms of athleticism then FIGHTING. Hell, it's probably one of the main reasons we evolved the muscles that we have, to fight. Fighting encompasses just about every foreseeable aspect of athleticism ...

Strength, quickness, hand-eye coordination, toughness, endurance- both aerobic and anaerobic , flexibility, agility..you name it..fighting has it..

the decathlon..No.. the decathlon makes no use of long endurance, it makes very little use of flexibility, or agility, no great hand eye coordination is needed, nor does anyone it in anyway test one's ability to take punishment.

The decathlon does test explosive strength (shot put), but it doesn't test Isometric strength (this is what is known as static strength, think about the strength needed by a gymnast to balance on only one hand for minutes at a time)....literally none..in the decathlon to test this fundamental aspect of strength)...of course MMA uses both...explosive strength is used in throwing kicks and punches and throws, isometric strength is used to hold people down, against the fence and hold people in submission holds.

It's really not even close...MMA takes far more all around athleticism then the decathlon...
Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #27
Jinxed
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejusman1
This just about sums up my thoughts on the matter. Are you seriously trying to compare the athleticism of a little-known acrobat to world renowned Lebron James?

in what ways is Lebron James a better athlete than this acrobat?

quicker? no..more agile? No..more coordinated? No...stronger? perhaps he can bench more? but I'll give the acrobat the far greater advantage in isometric strength..core strength, and he could probably do far more pushups/ pullups and things like that..so overall he is probably stronger..More famous? No, but I didn't realize FAME was an aspect of athleticism.

Last edited by Jinxed : 01-25-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #28
thejusman1
I hit open 5-footers

thejusman1 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
in what ways is Lebron James a better athlete than this acrobat?

quicker? no..more agile? No..more coordinated? No...stronger? perhaps he can bench more? but I'll give the acrobat the far greater advantage in isometric strength..core strength, and he could probably do far more pushups/ pullups and things like that..so overall he is probably stronger..More famous? No, but I didn't realize FAME was an aspect of athleticism.

Athletes are not simply physical specimens you can objectively place next to each other and compare based on stopwatches and weight-lifting plates. They play a sport, and Lebron James is one of the current superstars of an internationally acclaimed, highly competitive, and widely respected/viewed sports league. To answer your original question, that makes him a lot more impressive of an athlete than "Damien Who?" will ever be.
thejusman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #29
Jinxed
Good High School Starter

Gymnastics, which goes back to the days of the ancient greeks has a far more storied and prominent position in the history of athletics than basketball. Damien Walters was on the English gymnastics team, before moving into acrobats..

Just because you play a sport that's popular and has a lot of marketing attached to it, doesn't make the athlete any better..
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #30
twolvesfan
Banned

twolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputation

Quote:

even 4:38 for a 1500m race is trash (by olympian standards). Hell i ran a 4:40 1600m race before and didnt even place in regionals (qualifying for state tournament) in high school
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: