Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #31
MMKM
Local High School Star
 
MMKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,355
MMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputation
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxed
in what ways is Lebron James a better athlete than this acrobat?

quicker? no..more agile? No..more coordinated? No...stronger? perhaps he can bench more? but I'll give the acrobat the far greater advantage in isometric strength..core strength, and he could probably do far more pushups/ pullups and things like that..so overall he is probably stronger..More famous? No, but I didn't realize FAME was an aspect of athleticism.


Clearly you don't understand what makes someone a good athlete. Being able to do pushups and pull ups makes you a good athlete? Cool I know about 10 guys at 24 Hour Fitness that are apparently better athletes than Lebron James. And yeah I forgot what a key role isometric strength, i.e. being strong in a motionless position, plays in sports. That Michael Jordan statue outside the Bulls arena must be one hell of an athlete then, I think he's made of concrete.

Flipdy Floo is more coordinated that LBJ? Put a basketball in his hands I bet he'll look like a fukcing idiot and dribble off his foot. More agile and quicker? Have him try to defend Lebron on the basketball court or football field. The fact that you are comparing some second rate acrobat who couldn't even hack it in gymnastics to the King is a joke.

And lastly, to address your rock solid Superstars argument, the TV Game Show "Superstars" ran for 28 seasons and was won more than half the time by either a soccer player or American Football player. Bode Miller was an exception. Last season an over the hill Terrell Owens was paired up with a model named Joanna Krupa, they got in a fight, and he quit the show. So a tv game show that pairs you up with celebrities and supermodels is really your way of determining someone's athletic ability? Really?

This is a terrible thread. It's just so bad I can't pull away from it. It's like a really bad movie.

Last edited by MMKM : 01-25-2010 at 10:33 PM.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #32
MMKM
Local High School Star
 
MMKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,355
MMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputation
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Here's an athlete that is hardly ever mentioned in GOAT athlete discussions: Dave Winfield. When he came out of college, he was drafted by the San Diego Padres, Minnesota Vikings, and Atlanta Hawks. Can't do much better than that. He chose baseball, ended up in the HOF. Gangsta.

Last edited by MMKM : 01-25-2010 at 10:58 PM.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #33
Jinxed
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 952
Jinxed has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKM
Clearly you don't understand what makes someone a good athlete. Being able to do pushups and pull ups makes you a good athlete? Cool I know about 10 guys at 24 Hour Fitness that are apparently better athletes than Lebron James. And yeah I forgot what a key role isometric strength, i.e. being strong in a motionless position, plays in sports. That Michael Jordan statue outside the Bulls arena must be one hell of an athlete then, I think he's made of concrete.

Flipdy Floo is more coordinated that LBJ? Put a basketball in his hands I bet he'll look like a fukcing idiot and dribble off his foot. More agile and quicker? Have him try to defend Lebron on the basketball court or football field. The fact that you are comparing some second rate acrobat who couldn't even hack it in gymnastics to the King is a joke.

And lastly, to address your rock solid Superstars argument, the TV Game Show "Superstars" ran for 28 seasons and was won more than half the time by either a soccer player or American Football player. Bode Miller was an exception. Last season an over the hill Terrell Owens was paired up with a model named Joanna Krupa, they got in a fight, and he quit the show. So a tv game show that pairs you up with celebrities and supermodels is really your way of determining someone's athletic ability? Really?

This is a terrible thread. It's just so bad I can't pull away from it. It's like a really bad movie.


Terrell Owens competed in previous editions, one's that weren't teams. That was just the 2009 edition. The last three editions were all won by Skier's..once by Jeremy Bloom, a member of the US national Ski team by the time he was 15, and Olympian at 19..decided to try his hand at football and became an All American at Colorado and was drafted in the NFL...ran a 4.3 40....talk about an athlete..and notice..no basketball players ever won...that's my point...NFL running backs and safeties..yea they're good athletes...nba players..not so much..

Also..I love how the barometer of a good athlete is someone who can play basketball...

so you know what i'm going to do...

I'm going to show you a video.. of what happens when you give a 5'10 ACROBAT A BASKETBALL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GszNJ1NCWo

is he athletic?
Jinxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #34
Jinxed
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 952
Jinxed has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
How about showing his better video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MeiwLLZjDo

Walters for running from the cops.

He does free running/parkour as well.

Would love to see Lebron James attempt to do ANYTHING in that video..
Jinxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #35
MMKM
Local High School Star
 
MMKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,355
MMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputation
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Is he athletic? In some aspects. He can jump and has good body control. That's about it. Not athletic enough to play pro basketball at any level.

What you don't get about being an athlete is that MOST of it is not just how fast you run or how high you jump, or if you can do a flip. To be an athlete in a competitive sport you have to be proficient in all of the following, plus probably a bunch of other things I cant even think of:

size and strength
speed (in all directions)
power (jumping, throwing velocity, acceleration)
agility
reaction
quickness
endurance
mental focus
balance
manual aiming skills (ie throwing at a target or hitting a moving object)
dexterity (ie dribbling with hands or feet)
toughness, determination and durability
anticipation, (i.e. seeing the play unfold before others do)
decision making
strategism

The latter 6 are what make people like Steve Nash great athletes despite not being incredibly physically gifted. The latter 6 are what separate someone like Michael Jordan from someone like Khadour Ziani or James White or Flipdy Floo any other loser you want to dig up on You Tube.

STILL defending Superstars? Just out of curiosity, what basketball players ever did that show? Did MJ do it? Lebron? Kobe? Wilt? I doubt it.

Last edited by MMKM : 01-25-2010 at 11:54 PM.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #36
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash
 
RaininThrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,997
RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxed
Terrell Owens competed in previous editions, one's that weren't teams. That was just the 2009 edition. The last three editions were all won by Skier's..once by Jeremy Bloom, a member of the US national Ski team by the time he was 15, and Olympian at 19..decided to try his hand at football and became an All American at Colorado and was drafted in the NFL...ran a 4.3 40....talk about an athlete..and notice..no basketball players ever won...that's my point...NFL running backs and safeties..yea they're good athletes...nba players..not so much..

Also..I love how the barometer of a good athlete is someone who can play basketball...

so you know what i'm going to do...

I'm going to show you a video.. of what happens when you give a 5'10 ACROBAT A BASKETBALL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GszNJ1NCWo

is he athletic?

So he can travel and jump with a ball in his hand. Yawn.

Of course he's athletic. But trying to compare athletes across different sports is a fool's game. Isn't it possible that they're both just great athletes in their own right?
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #37
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash
 
RaininThrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,997
RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxed
Would love to see Lebron James attempt to do ANYTHING in that video..

And I'd love to see that guy dribble a basketball, or take a 15 foot jumper.

This is a ridiculous topic.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #38
MMKM
Local High School Star
 
MMKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,355
MMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputation
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

BTW I saw Ziani on Best Damn Sports Show Period and he was a HUGE disappointment. Very mediocre dunker.

Still waiting to hear what great basketball players ever competed on Superstars. So far I've found Ann Myers, Lisa Leslie, and a retired Robert Horry. Stellar. Great argument.

Last edited by MMKM : 01-25-2010 at 11:49 PM.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #39
Jinxed
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 952
Jinxed has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKM
BTW I saw Ziani on Best Damn Sports Show Period and he was a HUGE disappointment. Very mediocre dunker.

Still waiting to hear what great basketball players ever competed on Superstars. So far I've found Ann Myers, Lisa Leslie, and a retired Robert Horry. Stellar. Great argument.


I already posted this

Kareem, nate archibald, rick barry,Bob Cousy, Dave Cowens, Adrian Dantley, Dr. J, walt frazier, Darrell Griffith, moses malone, dan majerle, pistol pete, cedric maxwell, earl monroe, calvin murphy, and more

The only two that didn't embarass themselves were Pistol Pete and John Havlicek..Pistol Pete won the tennis event when he competed...
Jinxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #40
MMKM
Local High School Star
 
MMKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,355
MMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputation
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Who did they lose to in those seasons? Herschel Walker? Pro football players? I could see that. That doesn't mean they are bad athletes, just that football players were better. Never argued otherwise.

Last edited by MMKM : 01-26-2010 at 12:15 AM.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #41
Jinxed
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 952
Jinxed has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

You're talking about the 2009 Superstars event, Bode Miller also won in 2002


Here's the list of all the athletes to ever compete in Superstars

http://www.thesuperstars.org/athletes/athletes.html

Here is a website covering the competition..check it out

http://www.thesuperstars.org

also watch this because it's freaking HILARIOUS..this is the first ever Superstars competition...first even is swimming...featuring Joe Frazier...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPk2zl5s6xM
Jinxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #42
MMKM
Local High School Star
 
MMKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,355
MMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputation
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Look, I don't know jack about Superstars. Maybe Dr J competed in Superstars, maybe he was retired when he did it too. This doesn't prove anything.

I respect track and field athletes. I respect football players. Even if your Superstars argument had any legitimacy, which it doesn't, those are the guys that won the most. How many gymnasts won superstars? Does that mean they are bad athletes too?

I looked that dude up, turns out he won a Gold in tumbling in 2005. Why didn't you just say that? At least that is a competitive accomplishment. That says a lot more than a youtube video or a reference to a game show. The guy's more legit than I thought. I still don't think he's as great an athlete as Lebron, but at least he's a real competitive athlete with some accomplishments.

Last edited by MMKM : 01-26-2010 at 12:30 AM.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #43
IamSofaKing
I brick airballs
 
IamSofaKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,539
IamSofaKing has decent reputationIamSofaKing has decent reputation
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

LeBron can't be the best at everything... Ill give this one to Walters, but LeBron is still pretty damn athletic for his size
IamSofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #44
Jinxed
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 952
Jinxed has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

1977 Superstars competition..Preliminary Round Results...

1. Kyle Rote, Jr., Soccer

2. Franz Klammer, Alpine Skiing

3. Bernhard Russi, Alpine Skiing

4. Mark Howe, Ice Hockey

5. Alvan Adams, Basketball

5. Dave Bing, Basketball

7. Garry Unger, Ice Hockey
8. Sugar Ray Leonard, Boxing

9. Phil Smith, Basketball

10. Earl Monroe, Basketball

11. Howard Davis, Boxing

12. Adrian Dantley, Basketball

13. Paul Silas, Basketball

Dantley, the six time NBA all-star was 22 and in his prime, just won rookie of the year, SIlas has just won a ring with the celtics the year before, Alvan Adams was an all star that year...

This is just the preliminary round before the finals..the only instance i can find a basketball player making the finals is John Havlicek, and he did finished second to last in the final round.

Last edited by Jinxed : 01-26-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Jinxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #45
MMKM
Local High School Star
 
MMKM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,355
MMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputation
Default Re: More Impressive Athlete..Lebron VS Damien Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxed
1977 Superstars competition..Preliminary Round Results...

1. Kyle Rote, Jr., Soccer

2. Franz Klammer, Alpine Skiing

3. Bernhard Russi, Alpine Skiing

4. Mark Howe, Ice Hockey

5. Alvan Adams, Basketball

5. Dave Bing, Basketball

7. Garry Unger, Ice Hockey
8. Sugar Ray Leonard, Boxing

9. Phil Smith, Basketball

10. Earl Monroe, Basketball

11. Howard Davis, Boxing

12. Adrian Dantley, Basketball

13. Paul Silas, Basketball

Dantley, the six time NBA all-star was 22 and in his prime, just won rookie of the year, SIlas has just won a ring with the celtics the year before,

Again, this proves nothing. The top three guys were from alpine skiing and soccer. This suggests that the contest as a whole was slanted towards athletes with the highest aerobic fitness requirements for their sport. Soccer and cross country skiing are highly aerobic dominant sports whereas basketball, boxing, and hockey are anaerobic. You think its a coincidence that those 3 guys were all at the top?


Anyway, this is all kind of a red herring. We've gotten way off topic. Damien Walters is a better athlete than Lebron James because Adrian Dantley sucked on The Superstars in 1977? WTF?

Last edited by MMKM : 01-26-2010 at 12:49 AM.
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy