Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #31
Steve Nash

Default Re: Maga_1 Workout

Alright well i have a gym down the street i can join its no problem.
What kind of workout would I do ?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #32
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nash
Alright well i have a gym down the street i can join its no problem.
What kind of workout would I do ?

I tell it to everyone.. I strongly recommend buying a bench/rack/and bar. You can find this stuff on craigslist for some really good prices if you can't afford new. In the end, it's cheaper, you can do all the important compound lifts at home, and it's so damn convenient. I love walking straight from squats to my kitchen and making a nice cold pwo smoothie.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #33
Steve Nash

What are compound lifts ??
Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #34
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Bench press, squat, and deadlift. They are the main lifts for increasing strength pretty much. Are you concerned with your legs at all... or you in it for upper body?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #35
Steve Nash

Well right know I just want to look good for the cruise. But when I get back I wanna get a lot stronger for basketball.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #36
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Then you can do bench press, deadlifts, military press, curls, all with the barbell. Probably more stuff... but I only do legs so swaggin will probably pop in with a routine or something soon.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:51 AM   #37
Steve Nash

Alright man thanks for all your help
Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #38
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo
Then you can do bench press, deadlifts, military press, curls, all with the barbell. Probably more stuff... but I only do legs so swaggin will probably pop in with a routine or something soon.

Right you are

Monday

DB flat bench press: 5x8
Skull Crushers: 4x10
1 arm DB raises: 3x12
Abs/Lower back

Tuesday

Deadlifts: 5X5
DB rows: 4x8
DB shrug: 4X10

Thursday

DB shoulder press (seated): 5x8
DB curls: 4x10
Standing cable curls: 3X12
Abs/Lower back

Friday

Squats: 5X5
Stepups: 3X6
Hamstring curls: 3X8
DB single leg calf raises: 4X8 (single leg... good explosive reps)

This and good diet for the next couple months will make a big difference... you will notice a difference in your vert when you get back to playing ball too. I'm a little wary about the deadlifts and squats on different days... but my goal isn't to kill you by putting them on the same day lol. So... get to it if ya want to man... it's your gunshow to take or pass on
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #39
Steve Nash

Wow thanks man But how much weight should I use ?
And for the ab workout is situps good?

Sorry for all the questions bit I am a total noob to this
Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #40
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

The volume (weight used) is something you will have to find out yourself. Go to the gym and experiment first. Try DB bench with 25 pounds (for example) for 8 reps...was it easy? Was it hard? Did it seem just right? Then go from there.

Then, keep a log of the weight you use. Try to increase either reps or weight each time. As you increase weight to more than 10 pounds more for that particular number of reps, you can decrease the total reps in each set...if you keep the weight the same and increase reps, once you get to say, 15 reps if you started at 8, then increase the weight and start at 8 again.

There is proper ways to do things when designing and progressing programs, but again, this is why it is hard to do over the internet, can't hold someojnes hand when you can't see exactly what is going on.

As for abs, IMO, as I stated before, keep situps to a minimum. Do more core stability stuff (bridges), med ball throws and slams and lower back/glute work.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #41
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:

I can tell

JK man... like AB said you need to figure it out for yourself right now. Experiment with low weight first and just build up to something you can only do 8 times... then yea just work that weight up until you get to 12-15 reps then move up the weight.

yea situps, bridges, leg lifts... body weight exercises will be fine for now and give you plenty of results. Eventually you want to move up weight though and lessen the reps. Make sure you get that lower back too as boring as it sounds... it's important.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: