Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
B-Baller14
I brick open layups

B-Baller14 has an OK reputation so far
Default Cramping

Ok so i have been cramping in games this season. I play the whole game and only get breaks at halftime and time outs.

After half time, about half way thru the 3rd quarter, i always start to get calf cramps. Whenever i jump or cut, they will cramp. I need a solution to this problem. I stay hyrdated too. I need some help. I take potassium pills everday as well....

Help......
B-Baller14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Cramping

Normally i would say to eat bananas and drink lots of water but that doesn't seem to be your problem. I would probably say that you need to stretch your calves nice and good before the games. Also if you feel them getting ready to cramp up ask your coach if you can sit out for a minute or two and then stretch and massage your calves while your sitting out.
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Whiteness
Banned

Whiteness has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Baller14
Ok so i have been cramping in games this season. I play the whole game and only get breaks at halftime and time outs.

After half time, about half way thru the 3rd quarter, i always start to get calf cramps. Whenever i jump or cut, they will cramp. I need a solution to this problem. I stay hyrdated too. I need some help. I take potassium pills everday as well....

Help......

A lot of the times people are cramping because they aren't getting enough oxygen to their muscles. Most of the time when a cramp starts people tend to clamp down, hold their breath, and wait it out. I promise if you control your breathing and start sucking in air it'll alleviate your problems at least 75% of the time. That's the only immediate fix I know of. Long-term - get some potassium and stretch.
Whiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
B-Baller14
I brick open layups

yeah, i'll start stretching before the games. I want to get over this so i can play to my full potential. I could probably add a couple more points to my average if i could play healthy the whole game....

I am at a lil over 22 ppg right now.....
Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't know how do you call in US, but here we got a thing that we put in the legs .. we call it MUSCULOR.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
yeah, i'll start stretching before the games. I want to get over this so i can play to my full potential. I could probably add a couple more points to my average if i could play healthy the whole game....

I am at a lil over 22 ppg right now.....

That's a pretty good average, congrats.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

I really thought the topic was "crumping" and I thought we had a Lebron Jr. here lol... took me a second to realize that it was cramping.

My friend has this problem too. Stretching is definitely a key. You have to consistently stretch them out every day.... Having tight muscles is one of the main causes. Dehydration is a cause so you need to be drinking a good cup of water at least in between games or timeouts... That would be about 2 or 3 big gulps out of a water bottle. You should probably drink about 2 though. Mustard is supposed to be great for controlling cramps... apparently it's fast acting too and stop them pretty quickly. Gatorade might be better because it has potassium and carbs (a lack of carbs can create it too)... So maybe switch to that if water doesn't work. http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy.../calfcramp.htm

One thing I would try but I don't know if it helps or not is strengthening your tibialis (Shin muscles). That might help prevent them. By having a better balance of strength between the two muscles should help release tension on the calf muscles. It's good for you to strengthen them anyway though.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 01-30-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
B-Baller14
I brick open layups

thanks for the advice swaggin916. I also sweat terribly bad.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
Whiteness
Banned

Whiteness has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
thanks for the advice swaggin916. I also sweat terribly bad.

Me too, that is something I can't really give advice on. I just deal with it. It's just how it happens. I sweat playing video games, though.
Whiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

What kind of video games are you playing???

My friend also sweats a lot (Honestly worse than anyone I ever seen... He is Shaq). It must be the water loss and dehydration. You guys gotta make sure you are chugging water or Gatorade when you play. I don't sweat much myself and I don't have problems so I have to think based on these couple of factors that is the main problem.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
B-Baller14
I brick open layups

I stay pretty hydrated though.... so i don't know what to do.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Just try a stretching routine and see if that helps... heck try the mustard lol.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
B-Baller14
I brick open layups

what do you recommend for a routine?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 AM   #14
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Just something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElsIQhlmS5U

You can do those those for 30 seconds each a couple times a day. Or you can do 10 reps of 2 second stretches (same stretches you just stretch for 2 full seconds and then rest for a 2 full seconds... then repeat 10 times. It's another form of stretching and it's very effective).
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: