Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
LevisJeans
Underdog

LevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Conditioning

It's finally getting warmer, and I want to take advantage of the warm weather as much as I can. I'm planning on running my butt off to increase my stamina for sophomore year. My stamina is low right now because I barely get any play time in the winter. I have from now until next October to pull a Coach Carter and make my stamina sky-rocket. My JV tryouts are next year. I didn't make the team this year, because I got too tired in my attempts to really hustle for the ball. I noticed that the other kids weren't keeping up too well, either. What drills can I do in a local park to really blow them out of the water next season? I'm not only going to do running drills; I want to make my jumpshot automatic, as well as increase it's range to a few feet beyond the arc. I'm planning on dedicating 4-5 days a week to this. Can anyone recommend any drills that I can do? I just turned 15 years old, I'm 5"9'. and 145 lbs.

Last edited by LevisJeans : 02-01-2010 at 12:06 AM.
LevisJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Conditioning

The thing about conditioning is, it's all about being able to sustain a high heart rate. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as your heart rate is high. Suicides would probably be just fine... doing a lot of reps of everything is what you want. I know Kevin Durant practices shooting from every spot on the floor. He will move an inch to his left or right just so he feels comfortable with any spot on the floor. When it comes to conditioning, you just have to get after it.

Sorry I don't really have any routines though. I could come up with some... but I think someone else might know better. I am not really a conditioning kind of guy lol.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
LevisJeans
Underdog

LevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected posterLevisJeans is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
The thing about conditioning is, it's all about being able to sustain a high heart rate. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as your heart rate is high. Suicides would probably be just fine... doing a lot of reps of everything is what you want. I know Kevin Durant practices shooting from every spot on the floor. He will move an inch to his left or right just so he feels comfortable with any spot on the floor. When it comes to conditioning, you just have to get after it.

Sorry I don't really have any routines though. I could come up with some... but I think someone else might know better. I am not really a conditioning kind of guy lol.

Thanks. The only problem I'm going to have is staying motivated and not slacking off, which I tend to do sometimes.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Well you need to get that straightened out. Making the team should be enough of a motivating factor... so if it's not maybe it's not for you.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

IMO, conditioning is about recovery. Designing sprints/intervals similar to that of game situation to condition the body to recover in short periods is how I feel it should be done.

Long distance running ok if used sparingly, as it can slow strength and muscle gains and power. I may use it once or twice a week with my clients. Mainly use sprint type workouts and agility though.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
LevisJeans
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPrints
IMO, conditioning is about recovery. Designing sprints/intervals similar to that of game situation to condition the body to recover in short periods is how I feel it should be done.

Long distance running ok if used sparingly, as it can slow strength and muscle gains and power. I may use it once or twice a week with my clients. Mainly use sprint type workouts and agility though.

Sprint workouts as in quick sprints up the court, changing direction and exploding, etc?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevisJeans
Sprint workouts as in quick sprints up the court, changing direction and exploding, etc?

that's a very redundant question if we're talking about basketball Sorry I saw the perfect opportunity to sound like a jack@$$
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Yes and no. I am looking at the work-rest factor more than the actualy movements. You can use different modes such as intervals on the bike, straight ahead sprints on the football field or soccer pitch, heck technically even weight training circuits done explosively could qualify in the very least. For me, out of season I like to work with clients in a different atmosphere than the court. Gives them a refreshing change of pace.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Thanks. The only problem I'm going to have is staying motivated and not slacking off, which I tend to do sometimes.
In terms of motivation, I rejected this cliche for a long time but eventually I gave in to accepting that writing down your goals and motivations on paper and posting that paper somewhere you'd see it everyday is truly effective. Sometimes I will write small sources of motivation on my hand or wrist to refer to mid-training as a reminder to keep pushing. Further, I tend to channel all my life's problems into pushing myself toward domination on the basketball court.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
LevisJeans
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automajic23
that's a very redundant question if we're talking about basketball Sorry I saw the perfect opportunity to sound like a jack@$$

Changing direction while sprinting is redundant? What if there is a turn over on a fast break?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea interval training is definitely something you want to do. I didn't think about that at first for some reason but basketball is essentially interval training.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 02-01-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
ElBronco
All that I can borrow

ElBronco has an OK reputation so far

If you want to do distance running, first of all don't overdo it early if you've never run distance before. Try starting at around 20 mins the first week 30 mins the second week and 40 mins from then on. Always stop and rest for a few days if you develop nagging injuries. Stretch well before and after, it's really just as important as the workout itself.

Finally I would recommend joining your high school Cross Country team in the fall. It comes right before basketball season, is no cut, and you can leave to do tryouts when they start. After Cross I never got tired on the basketball court.
ElBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBronco
If you want to do distance running, first of all don't overdo it early if you've never run distance before. Try starting at around 20 mins the first week 30 mins the second week and 40 mins from then on. Always stop and rest for a few days if you develop nagging injuries. Stretch well before and after, it's really just as important as the workout itself.

Finally I would recommend joining your high school Cross Country team in the fall. It comes right before basketball season, is no cut, and you can leave to do tryouts when they start. After Cross I never got tired on the basketball court.

Going for the all skinny team?

Cross country and long distance running isn't the way to go for basketball. You want to be able to have some explosiveness and that take nearly all of it away... True you want to be conditioned (and surely long distance running is a great way to condition yourself), but interval training is a much better way to condition yourself for basketball.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 02-10-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #14
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My friend used to do spot shooting drills full court. He'd mark a distance with tape on both sides of the court and begin by shooting from that tape, and then running to the other court and shooting from the tape there. It would in theory improve your conditioning if you handle them like sprints and he says it helped him keep his shooting technique even when he was tired.

Idk if it actually works or not. I just suggest finding something you like and then keeping your heart rate up.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: