Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people
Default Pros/Cons of the possible #1 picks

Thought I'd spend some time detailing the pros and cons of each possible #1draft pick, from a Toronto persepctive. I am only doing candidates for the first pick (i.e. you won't see Shelden Williams here, or Roy, or any other player that most likely will be on the board 5-8).

===============================================

Draft Pick: Andrea Bargnani, at #1
Profiles:nbadraft.net profile, draftexpress.com profile

Pros:
- A frontcourt consisting of Bosh, Charlie, and Bargnani would be the best offensive frontcourts in the league in 2 or so years, and one of the tallest
- 3 athletic power forwards will cause matchup nightmares for nearly every team in the league
- Bargnani seemingly favours playing in Toronto over anywhere else
- Toronto's soon-to-be assistant GM was GM of Benetton Treviso, AB's euro team (I might have the positions wrong, he might have been president or something I can't recall).

Cons:
- The aforementioned frountcourt would have trouble defending... everything
- One of Toronto's 3 PF's would play out of position at CT, Charlie, playing SF, would not really be out of position (don't tell me about defense, he'd get wrecked at any position).
- Toronto, perennial bottom feeders of the rebounding ranks, would become even worse at rebounding (if they go with the triple PF line-up)
__________________________________________________ _____

Draft pick: LaMarcus Aldridge, at #1
Profiles: nbadraft.net profile, draftexpress.com profile

Pros:
- will fill, regardless of what naysayers say, a major whole at CT for the Raptors (not a great traditional center, but those are rare and the numbers of them are continuously dwindling)
- will fill the CT hole with an athletic player that fits into the system colangelo wants to implement in Toronto (any non-crap FA center will not fit into BC's system well)
- this franchise center will improve the raptors defensively and improve rebounding
- picking LaMarcus would certainly please Bosh

Cons:
- he'll get banged around because he is undersized and outweighted
- the raptors need a banger to protect Bosh and make his job easier
- would rather play in the US (it would be more comfortable for him to play in his own country)

Draft pick: Adam Morrison, at #1

Pros:
- will fill seats with his tremendous heart
- will bring the raptors the grit and determination they lost when JYD was traded
- his ability to shoot the lights out will discourage teams from doubling bosh
- a frontcourt of AM, CV, and Bosh would be once of the best offensive frontcourts in the league in 2 or so years
- Morrison becoming the main 3point shooter, mo pete can focus on one of his strengths: attaking the basket

Cons:
- Morrison can only play SF, Toronto second best position. Either bosh plays CT, or villy has to be traded.
- the Raptors scored over 100 points per game last year (in 4th place), they need scoring like a bird needs a third wing
- Morrison couldn't even guard Milt Palacio in a wheelchair. The Raptors desperately need to improve their defense.
- was beaten by the ugly stick. An AM, CV, CB frontcourt would be the most visually upsetting one in the league.
- unfortunately, does not resemble a dinosaur, but shares more of a caveman look with Chris Kaman.

Draft Pick: Rudy Gay, at #1

Pros:
- his great athleticism will fit well in BC's intended system
- a good defender; he would certainly find a niche market there in Toronto
- has more potential than anyone in the draft; the raptors need talent
- likes operating in the post. He can balance out Toronto's offensive attack
- CV and Gay are good friends (I'll be an ass and assume they are) because they both went to UConn.

Cons:
- allegedly does not show passion for the game when on the floor. Passive.
(his alleged lack of heart would be unpleasantly reminiscent of Carter)
- not being homphobic, but his last name WILL have issues (constant joking by idiots, reporters having to make sure to use his name properly etc.)
- is more suited playing SF then SG. If he could play SG, it would be great, if not, charlie would have to be traded (or bosh plays center)

On a side note, ever notice how Adam Morrison is the complete foil of Rudy Gay? One can't defend at all, the other is a great defender. One can score like Wilt Chamberlain (the ball, score the ball), the other does not have an outstanding offensive game (not necessarily true, I admit this part is a stretch). One shows incredible heart every time they step on the court,the other does not.

===============================================

LA is the steadiest pick for Toronto I think, taking Bargnani is the riskiest, selecting Morrison would be more of an experiment than anything else, and choosing Gay would be a mix.

Sorry if any information is wrong or missing. Do you guys have any that I have missed?

I posted this in the raptors forum too because it will stick around longer so I can keep adding pros and cons.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I agree with just about every point you made. Especially the Morrison getting beat with the ugly stick part. I like ugly basketball players though, they remind me of me. I think that no matter who they pick BC will already have a plan of what to do with the rest of the roster and what style he wants the team to play.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
ThaKid
King

ThaKid has an OK reputation so far

ive jus watched a few games of the to prospects and i think the raps should jus trade down for marcus williams beause they need a point guard and i think who ever picks him up will be happy because i kno already for sure he will in ther unning for rookie of the year...
ThaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKid
ive jus watched a few games of the to prospects and i think the raps should jus trade down for marcus williams beause they need a point guard and i think who ever picks him up will be happy because i kno already for sure he will in ther unning for rookie of the year...

Marcus Williams stock is falling faster than Russel Crowe.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Bosh4life
Local High School Star

Bosh4life has an OK reputation so far

I really think we need to pick aldridge.... By the way Bourn that was a good thought out post and i enjoyed reading it.
Bosh4life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: