Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Shannon needs to start reigning himself in

This isnt the player we had last year. He is improved, apparently, but also much more selfish.

Last year he would spot up and knock down the J's off penetration or Gasol post ups, he cut to the basket and made himself available for passes in scoring position. Now he's calling his own # and trying to create his own offense like he's Kobe, despite having 1/5 of the talent.

Really think that when he was playing for a contract he was being more conscientous about playing the right way. Seems like now he's gotten his security blanket and decided to get his own.

Still love him. Just want him to reign it in. He's shot 28 times over the past two games....no reason for that.

Last edited by picc84 : 02-09-2010 at 02:24 AM.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
TryToBeUnbias
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Shannon needs to start reigning himself in

I think he is trying to be that scoring punch that we needed off the bench. I feel as if his intentions are good, I'm sure Phil will settle him down if he continues to play out of hand.
TryToBeUnbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

One thread to start shannon and another to reign himself in... this is turning into the main forum...

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

Shannon could easily start. And probably should. He just needs to cool it on the kobe-impressions.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
One thread to start shannon and another to reign himself in... this is turning into the main forum...

It just shows that we dont have the perfect solution for the starting PG.
But we have 3 good guards with different strengths.
Let's have faith in Phil to send out the right player for each situation in the PO.
L.A. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
It just shows that we dont have the perfect solution for the starting PG.
But we have 3 good guards with different strengths.
Let's have faith in Phil to send out the right player for each situation in the PO.

Better yet, let's trust the front office to make a trade for a real starting PG.

Fish had 0 assists in 29 minutes last night in what for him was a decent game.....but a 0 ????
There is a serious problem there. SB had 3 assists, Farmar had 1......our guards had a combined 4 of our 20 assists......we need help!!!!

Fish assists last 3 games 0 Denver, 6 Portland , 0 San Antonio.....2.0 average. Not NBA level starting PG stats......in fact bad at any level for a starting PG.

Last edited by DKLaker : 02-09-2010 at 01:26 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
cotdt
Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan

Brown replaced Kobe, so taking more shots is his job, no?
cotdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

i am no stats freak, but i think in Phil's system PGs never get lots of assists.
L.A. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
i am no stats freak, but i think in Phil's system PGs never get lots of assists.
this is the correct answer to that part of the equation.. only once has a point guard led a phil jackson team in assists... ONCE, in his 21 years as a NBA coach

Last edited by gts : 02-09-2010 at 07:18 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
DKLaker

I'm not saying anything about leading the team in assists, lets be real here, if you are putting up a 0 in assists, playing crap defense, terrible shooting percentage, can't make a layup as a PG you should NOT be starting in anyone's system. Phil has never had this poor of a performance from any PG...NEVER....even Smush looks like an All-Star next to Fish of 2010.
Blaming the system
Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt
Brown replaced Kobe, so taking more shots is his job, no?

Its the kind of shots he's taking. Dribble, dribble, dribble, shoot. He's not good enough to warrant taking those, and he's not good enough to be a ballstopper. Yet he's doing both all of a sudden, when he did neither last season. Whats the difference?

Contract.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by picc84
Its the kind of shots he's taking. Dribble, dribble, dribble, shoot. He's not good enough to warrant taking those, and he's not good enough to be a ballstopper. Yet he's doing both all of a sudden, when he did neither last season. Whats the difference?

Contract.

How about just trying to fit in? Making a name for himself? I think those things played a much bigger part in it. Nobody knew who this guy was... now they love him because he is a highlight waiting to happen and it's raised his confidence tremendously. He shot terribly last night... but I don't mind him taking some of those shots. He has a good midrange game... but yea the volume is too high. He should be getting about 10 attempts a game and 6 or 7 of them should be directly created from someone else.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #13
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by picc84

Contract.

you see, I dont know about the contract part there..

What I do see, is that Shannon has been in the league for a few years, pretty young guy. Yet he has bounced around a lot from (if my memory serves me right) Bobcats, bulls, cavs. It sort of seemed like the guy was on that border of exiting the league and staying in it.

Now that he had his nice play last year, he actually got a contract(This is where a contract can kick in, in a way) because he was actually WANTED.
Thts the difference. Now he knows that teams want him, and what better way to make a name for yourself than on the lakeshow?

Now, Let me tell you, I think Fish, Shannon, Famar all
(a) take bad shots
(b) stop the ball
(c) make bad decisions
(d) dont play great defense (Shannon is alrite, not great)

The only difference is that Shannon MAKES his shots, but they are still BAD shots.

I hate seeing when we have the ball and 18 seconds left on the shot clock and shannon brown takes a contested 19 footer without letting our team run the offense?! its like? C'mon mannnnn you are not kobe.

Sh!t, If i get upset when kobe does it, imagine brown?

Thats what upsets me. Im not saying that I mind him taking shots, just let them be smarter shots. He stops the ball too much.

Jordan Farmar takes dumb shots, fish takes tooooo many shots.lol
Like damn, I wonder what he's thinking when he keeps seeing it miss the basket.lol
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
alexthegod
Local High School Star

He started last game and played 37 minutes the game before after Kobe went down early. He played extremely well in the first game and struggled with his shot in the second game. Lets not forget this is a guy who isnt used to playing starters minutes. He's feeling his way through it. He's doing a solid job, if he wasnt Phil would yank him.

All in all I am satisfied with what he is doing.

And for all those who are upset with the assists our PGs are getting lets not forget this is not a pg oriented team. Our pgs dont dominate the ball all game like Nash, Paul, etc. That isnt their job. Its a post dominated team that likes to run through Kobe and the big men. Thats why pgs dont lead Phil Jackson teams in assists as GTS mentioned.

The more important thing for the Lakers is that they started playing killer defense again. THAT is the key to the championship!
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
He started last game and played 37 minutes the game before after Kobe went down early. He played extremely well in the first game and struggled with his shot in the second game. Lets not forget this is a guy who isnt used to playing starters minutes. He's feeling his way through it. He's doing a solid job, if he wasnt Phil would yank him.

All in all I am satisfied with what he is doing.

And for all those who are upset with the assists our PGs are getting lets not forget this is not a pg oriented team. Our pgs dont dominate the ball all game like Nash, Paul, etc. That isnt their job. Its a post dominated team that likes to run through Kobe and the big men. Thats why pgs dont lead Phil Jackson teams in assists as GTS mentioned.

The more important thing for the Lakers is that they started playing killer defense again. THAT is the key to the championship!

Anyone touching the ball and playing 25+ minutes has no excuse for a 0 in assists....it's weak to blame the system. Fish is terrible at driving to the basket, he struggles to make a layup and is horrible at the drive and dish...usually turns it over.....the difference is SB and Farmar will rise up and dunk so defenses have to respect that along with their speed and both are better at dishing on the drive for easy layups and dunks....they can make REAL PG assists, Fish gets the simple hand the guy the ball assists....that's why only 2.5 per game. Fish, over the last 6 games 0, 0, 0, 6, 0, 2.
Sasha had 4 assists in only 16 minutes last night. SB had 4 assists Farmar had only 1 but put up 18 points. Artest averages more assists than Fish.
Bottom line is that good things are not happening when Fish touches the ball.....not the assists....not the points....he is not creating for anyone nor able to finish.

I wonder when a starting NBA PG has ever gone 3 straight games without a single assist.....I've never heard of such a thing....WTF!!!!! Seems impossible.

Last edited by DKLaker : 02-11-2010 at 02:10 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: