Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default I think it was just a phase...

I'll admit, it was fun, taught me a lot things, but its killing me. I have to let it go. I put all this work in and just end up falling right back to where I was. I know they say its just a roadblock or an obstacle, but what do they call when you run into one over and over? Can't get a break. Maybe it just wasnt meant for me.

Since my potential thread, I have been a wreck. Life's in the sh*tter right now. Yeah, I have made some strides on the court, but I lost the fire. The Soul. Heart. I just dont have it anymore. I dont enjoy basketball anymore. It just reminds me of how I f*cked up my life.

I hate to say this, but I have dribbled the ball for the last time.

-phoenix18.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I think it was just a phase...

sorry for you
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

I don't know your situation so i will try not to speculate, but this happens sometimes. Need to find something else that will feed the fire. Might not be basketball, another sport, golf, baseball even bowling is challenging? Maybe just lifting in the gym and working out?

I always thought i was going to play basketball forever. Honestly, I haven't played in awhile. Kids/family, tough to find a game, other interests, etc. I don't have the fire for BB like I used to, but have picked it up with ice hockey. Maybe I did everythign I could on the court and realized that and now hockey is the challenge. Even when I pick up the ball and shoot around, it isn't there. Heck, maybe you just need a break from it all and a good rest will bring it back?
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea I wouldn't worry about it too much man. We all go through phases. I have gone into the deep end with Pokemon, Wresting (WCW and all that), Video Games, Skateboarding, Football/Madden, Beat making... and I mean got really into them. Some of them I still have interest in like Football and Video games (I don't think I could ever completely stop playing video games or watching football) and some of them I don't. I haven't skated in years, obviously Pokemon was seriously just a phase lol, wresting same thing, I haven't touched Madden since it went onto 360... and I thought I wanted to be a music producer for 2 years... My God I was so into it trying to make a beat everyday just sitting there for hours upon hours making beats. Eventually though, I just got burnt out. Sometimes I will get inspired and get on the keys again, but I never finish a beat anymore... Just don't have the sustained passion for it anymore.

Now tho, I am really into basketball... It's pretty much all I want to do (I'm injured though so I can't) so I am pretty much in the opposite situation as you. I used to be so into as a kid. I would play every chance I could... at school, in leagues, at home on my little fisher price hoop (when I was real little) and then on a hoop in my backyard... then I got into other things and basketball became secondary. I would still do it, but it wasn't my go-to anymore. It was like that all throughout High School. After HS ended I started playing pickup games again though and realized how fun it was... maybe I just forgot what I was missing? so for over 3 years now I have been playing pick up games, but it has been off and on... which I think has helped sustain an interest in it. Now though, I just want to ball every day... practice moves... watch players play so I can get moves... ya know that sort of thing. I realize that it is probably just a phase... cus I seem to live my life through phases. I'm not worried about it though. If that's how it's going to be then I am going to roll with that. If I get tried of Bball, then I won't play anymore or at least take a break. Simple as that.

I think with things we really love though... all we need is some new and fresh inspiration. It's possible that you might just be burnt out and need a break... but more likely something needs to happen to get you inspired again. It will probably come in the future. Don't trip though right now cus something else will come. It may feel like a void in your life now but just give it some time and life will be good again.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
I'll admit, it was fun, taught me a lot things, but its killing me. I have to let it go. I put all this work in and just end up falling right back to where I was. I know they say its just a roadblock or an obstacle, but what do they call when you run into one over and over? Can't get a break. Maybe it just wasnt meant for me.

Since my potential thread, I have been a wreck. Life's in the sh*tter right now. Yeah, I have made some strides on the court, but I lost the fire. The Soul. Heart. I just dont have it anymore. I dont enjoy basketball anymore. It just reminds me of how I f*cked up my life.

I hate to say this, but I have dribbled the ball for the last time.

-phoenix18.
C'mon man ... how old are you?

Responsibilities start to sink in and I know it gets harder to stay in the gym to keep the skills up, but don't give up now.

I mean I still see old ass people trying to play from time to time. Just play within yourself and your current skills, and not try to do things that you may have used to be able to do and you'll still be a quality pick up player.

BTW, just out of curosity ... whats been wrong with your life?
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea I wouldn't worry about it too much man. We all go through phases. I have gone into the deep end with Pokemon, Wresting (WCW and all that), Video Games, Skateboarding, Football/Madden, Beat making... and I mean got really into them. Some of them I still have interest in like Football and Video games (I don't think I could ever completely stop playing video games or watching football) and some of them I don't. I haven't skated in years, obviously Pokemon was seriously just a phase lol, wresting same thing, I haven't touched Madden since it went onto 360... and I thought I wanted to be a music producer for 2 years... My God I was so into it trying to make a beat everyday just sitting there for hours upon hours making beats. Eventually though, I just got burnt out. Sometimes I will get inspired and get on the keys again, but I never finish a beat anymore... Just don't have the sustained passion for it anymore.

Now tho, I am really into basketball... It's pretty much all I want to do (I'm injured though so I can't) so I am pretty much in the opposite situation as you. I used to be so into as a kid. I would play every chance I could... at school, in leagues, at home on my little fisher price hoop (when I was real little) and then on a hoop in my backyard... then I got into other things and basketball became secondary. I would still do it, but it wasn't my go-to anymore. It was like that all throughout High School. After HS ended I started playing pickup games again though and realized how fun it was... maybe I just forgot what I was missing? so for over 3 years now I have been playing pick up games, but it has been off and on... which I think has helped sustain an interest in it. Now though, I just want to ball every day... practice moves... watch players play so I can get moves... ya know that sort of thing. I realize that it is probably just a phase... cus I seem to live my life through phases. I'm not worried about it though. If that's how it's going to be then I am going to roll with that. If I get tried of Bball, then I won't play anymore or at least take a break. Simple as that.
Great post ...

I have an addictive personality. When I get into something, I go FULL BORE. Unfortunately sometimes the interest IS just a phase, then in retrospect it seems like a waste of time / money / energy, etc. But hey, what can you do ... that's life. For true passions, they remain with you. Even if the true intensity of the passion at times subsides. Basketball will be something that never leaves me. It's part of my life blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I think with things we really love though... all we need is some new and fresh inspiration. It's possible that you might just be burnt out and need a break... but more likely something needs to happen to get you inspired again. It will probably come in the future. Don't trip though right now cus something else will come. It may feel like a void in your life now but just give it some time and life will be good again.
Truth. Sometimes a break and then fresh inspiration is what is great 4 you.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
C'mon man ... how old are you?

Responsibilities start to sink in and I know it gets harder to stay in the gym to keep the skills up, but don't give up now.

I mean I still see old ass people trying to play from time to time. Just play within yourself and your current skills, and not try to do things that you may have used to be able to do and you'll still be a quality pick up player.

BTW, just out of curosity ... whats been wrong with your life?

I'm 19.

What's been wrong with my life? Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that I am homeless or that I'm drug addict or something. I just blew everything pretty much with stupid mistakes. I'm not where I should be, and I am nowhere near close to where I REALISTICALLY expected to be. I love basketball like you guys, but the fun isnt there. I dont know if I need a break, or if once I move past these(if I ever) problems it will come back.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
I'm 19.

What's been wrong with my life? Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that I am homeless or that I'm drug addict or something. I just blew everything pretty much with stupid mistakes. I'm not where I should be, and I am nowhere near close to where I REALISTICALLY expected to be. I love basketball like you guys, but the fun isnt there. I dont know if I need a break, or if once I move past these(if I ever) problems it will come back.

It'll come back man. Like I've said, I burnt out at about 15 and didn't touch/watch/talk about basketball until I was like 19 1/4.

I hit the wall multiple times in ever part of life, and I'm at a large one right now... You either power through, let it come back, or give up. I've learned just let it come naturally. Don't keep playing if you don't want to, don't force it because you'll not really give it any effort.

I started watching again, then playing, then posting on here. It's like bball totally was reabsorbed into me. I still haven't been getting to the gym to play regularly at all, but I'd like to. Wanting to do it is 90% of the battle.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
cruthikai352
Can barely lace up my sneakers

cruthikai352 has an OK reputation so far

Basketball is my life. I don't care about anything else.
cruthikai352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruthikai352
Basketball is my life. I don't care about anything else.

The way it ought to be

Quote:
I'm 19.

So is this life related or basketball related? What exactly is the problem?
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
ElBronco
All that I can borrow

ElBronco has an OK reputation so far

Sorry to hear that man. A break is probably a good idea. I love basketball but seriously, there are so many other more important things in this world.
ElBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
It'll come back man. Like I've said, I burnt out at about 15 and didn't touch/watch/talk about basketball until I was like 19 1/4.

I hit the wall multiple times in ever part of life, and I'm at a large one right now... You either power through, let it come back, or give up. I've learned just let it come naturally. Don't keep playing if you don't want to, don't force it because you'll not really give it any effort.

I started watching again, then playing, then posting on here. It's like bball totally was reabsorbed into me. I still haven't been getting to the gym to play regularly at all, but I'd like to. Wanting to do it is 90% of the battle.
Yep I think we're all succeptable to burnouts. Contrary to anything I ever believed was possible, I burnt out on basketball at age 18. I'd say I took about a year off from playing seriously. But it came back with an absolute vengeance and I've been playing or doing something related to basketball for every waking non-school/work/girlfriend moment in the time since.

I love the game because it's always there for me. When the chips are down, when things aren't going my way, all that energy, aggression and motivation goes straight into my game.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

When i was 17 i stopped playing competition for like 3 months and then .. damn, the fire came back and made me alive again. It was just 3 months ..
Now i have to play every day, sometimes 2 times a day and i just can't stop ..
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:14 AM   #14
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
When i was 17 i stopped playing competition for like 3 months and then .. damn, the fire came back and made me alive again. It was just 3 months ..
Now i have to play every day, sometimes 2 times a day and i just can't stop ..

Phoenix18 we all know what your talking about. When i was 15 right after my school's team went 17-3 loosing the championship game, and sitting with varsity as they prepared for the state tournament and when they lost I was exhausted of basketball. It had been my life since I was a pee wee player 5 years old. just played for hours almost everyday, playing in leagues from pee-wee to a top 10 AAU program in the state, going to so many basketball camps in the summer, winning awards, winning games and loosing games. I used to play so much that my mom would take my basketball from me as punishment. I was just done. Stopped playing entirely for almost all of HS, until just last year when i started playing in my friend's league when they asked me to play with them. I started to like playing again slowly. Then really picked up in summer to the point i was playing everyday for many hours again.

Now it is at an all time high and my game is taken off, like at a different level taking off, all within the last 1.5 weeks. Like Maga said, almost my whole day revolves around basketball whether i am on the court practicing, or in the weightroom trying to get more explosive/stronger, or I am on ISH posting, watching OJ Mayo and the Grizzlies play, playing fantasy hoops, studying NBA player's game/instructional video on youtube/internet so i can improve. I can honestly say, besides when I am in class, hanging out with friends, doing h/w, playing ps3, or watching tv, I am thinking/doing something basketball related.

and it worth it my game has really taken off, i can't wait to see what type of player i'll be at the end of the upcoming summer. the only good thing about me not playing so those couple of years, is that everyday i feel like I am improve in some way since i missed out on the the key development years.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
Like Maga said, almost my whole day revolves around basketball whether i am on the court practicing, or in the weightroom trying to get more explosive/stronger, or I am on ISH posting, watching OJ Mayo and the Grizzlies play, playing fantasy hoops, studying NBA player's game/instructional video on youtube/internet so i can improve. I can honestly say, besides when I am in class, hanging out with friends, doing h/w, playing ps3, or watching tv, I am thinking/doing something basketball related.

Exactlly the same here .
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: