Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
Sham
I rule the local playground
 
Sham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 420
Default NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
DALLAS (AP)—David Stern said Saturday the NBA is projecting league-wide losses of about $400 million this season and has lost hundreds of millions in each previous year of the current collective bargaining agreement.

The commissioner said it has shown the players’ association those numbers in hopes of demonstrating why the league feels it needs “significant changes” in the next deal.

The NBA’s first proposal for a deal to replace the one that expires on July 1, 2011, was thrown out Friday after what players association director Billy Hunter called a “contentious” 90-minute meeting. Hunter said the proposal called for harsh changes that would affect every NBA player.
NBA commissioner David Stern talks with reporters about labor negotiations, during the NBA basketball All-Star Weekend on Saturday,

“The right adjectives were thrown around, and our proposal appropriately denounced. Our response is, ‘You can denounce it, tear it up, you can burn it, you can jump up and down on it, as long as you understand that it reflects the financial realities of where we are,”’ Stern said during his annual All-Star press conference.

“And if you would like to have your own proposal, as long as it comes back and deals with our financial realities, that’s OK with us. That’s fine with us. In fact, that’s what we would like to do.”

Stern criticized the union’s behavior at the session, saying it earned “high marks on the list of theatrical negotiations.” He revealed that the players’ side brought in a lawyer who threatened that the union would be decertified, making negotiating more difficult.

He also had sharp words for his own side, denouncing anonymous comments made by team executives that served to inflame the bargaining process.

“If you know me, and you know our owners, that’s not what we do. That’s not us. And the players were upset with those quotes, which I find cowardly, if they were actually said,” Stern said. “And if I ever found out who said them, they would be dealt with; they would be former, former NBA people, not current. And we assured the stars of that.”

Stern refused to details specifics of the league’s proposal. A person who had seen it told The Associated Press on Thursday that it called for first-round picks to have their salaries cut by about one-third, would reduce the minimum salary by as much as 20 percent, and would guarantee contracts for only half their value.

Also, the total value of a maximum salary would drop sharply, as would the total years players could sign for, and the players would see a reduction in their share of the basketball-related income, of which they currently receive 57 percent.

Stern defended sending the proposal shortly before the All-Star break, saying the plan all along was to start the process early. Hunter said the league would like to get a deal done before this July, but the union won’t be in any rush to send its own.

“I never have told Billy how he should negotiate or how he wants to negotiate, any more than I tell his lawyer what words he uses to threaten us,” Stern said. “That’s their choice. We have been, you know, myself, I have only been at this since 1966. I started when I was in a crib.”

The sides met twice last summer and exchanged financial documents. Stern made it clear that the league has shown the players all the facts they need to understand the difficulties owners are facing, losses he estimated at “at least” $200 million a year for the first four years of the current deal.

“Our response to the players was: We don’t want to play any guessing games about that, all of the data which supports that will be made available to you,” Stern said. “Certified financial returns, whatever you need, so that we can have a robust and open dialogue about how we are going to develop together a sustainable business model.”

Hunter has argued that the league can fix its problems with expanded revenue sharing among teams. Stern said there will be a revenue sharing plan, but that needs to be implemented in conjunction with a new deal.

The recent economic downturn has been seen as a reason for the league’s financial woes, but Stern denied that things will improve just because the economy does.

“Based upon the last several years, we have seen that the—we have shown the players the facts, and at our current level of revenue devoted to players salaries, it’s too high,” Stern said. “I can run from that, but I can’t hide from that, and I don’t think the players can, either. Those are the facts, and that’s what we are dealing with.”

But he said the differences won’t prevent a new agreement, saying, “we will manage to get to a place where we always get to. There is always a deal and we plan to make a deal this time, too.”

Stern also predicted the Charlotte Bobcats would be sold in about two months.


Honestly, how long has Stern been the Commish for? Time for new Commish? I think so....

Last edited by Sham : 02-13-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,444
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

Time for the players to take pay cuts.

Max salary 10 mil.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
33teeth
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 907
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

Yep. Pretty easy fix. Players make LUDICROUS amounts of money. Cut it down to a level that is still ludicrous and everything is fine.
33teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
KenneBell
What set you claim?
 
KenneBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the green like a crouton.
Posts: 4,996
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

The NFL, NBA, and MLS are all heading toward lockouts next season.

I don't see how the MLB is getting out of this...
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
shadow
Laker fan here
 
shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 2,870
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

I'm actually with the league on this one. Players may be the product but the ones taking the risks are the owners. The split of profits should be atleast 50-50 and guaranteed contracts need to be shorter or cheaper.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 22,915
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

Stern may not have the answers but it's really not his fault. When a recession hits, the first thing that people will cut back on is entertainment expenses because they aren't necessary. No commissioner can do anything about that.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
dr8ked
Trick Hoopz Alley-Oops
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: home
Posts: 3,708
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Stern may not have the answers but it's really not his fault. When a recession hits, the first thing that people will cut back on is entertainment expenses because they aren't necessary. No commissioner can do anything about that.


dr8ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #8
Sham
I rule the local playground
 
Sham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 420
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

I find the league just isn't as good as it was 10 years ago though. I mean I look at the ASG weekend so far and it has sucked. Like who the hell is behind some of the gimmicky bullsh!t promotions? They all suck.

I'm not saying bring back the good ol' days of taunting, NBA on NBC, and the I Love this Game commercials but they got to have some better marketing and promo than they are putting out right now.

IMO, today's dunk off exemplified today's NBA : lack of creativity and zero excitement.
Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
Rocker09
Rock & Basketball
 
Rocker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philippines
Posts: 816
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

NBA players(specifically superstars) earn way too much.....Time for a paycut for everyone who is earning more than $10 million IMO......
Rocker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year
 
04mzwach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,243
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Time for the players to take pay cuts.

Max salary 10 mil.
I think I said that less than a year ago. Everybody kind of said it would never happen. Now, we will see.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #11
KenneBell
What set you claim?
 
KenneBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the green like a crouton.
Posts: 4,996
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker09
NBA players(specifically superstars) earn way too much.....Time for a paycut for everyone who is earning more than $10 million IMO......
The superstars get paid that type of money because they usually generate even more for everyone else. A Kobe, LeBron, Wade type generates way more money for their team and league than what they are paid.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #12
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
SoCalMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 20,752
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham
Honestly, how long has Stern been the Commish for? Time for new Commish? I think so....

Very weak assessment of the situation... try to dig a little deeper, eh?



SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #13
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED
 
gasolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,351
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham
I find the league just isn't as good as it was 10 years ago though. I mean I look at the ASG weekend so far and it has sucked. Like who the hell is behind some of the gimmicky bullsh!t promotions? They all suck.

I'm not saying bring back the good ol' days of taunting, NBA on NBC, and the I Love this Game commercials but they got to have some better marketing and promo than they are putting out right now.

IMO, today's dunk off exemplified today's NBA : lack of creativity and zero excitement.
You don't need to bring those back. 15 years ago no one had a $100 million contract. So the league did not as much salary to pay
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #14
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,243
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

Because this all has to do with the MICHAEL JORDAN effect. He brought so much money to the league via endorsements, and his huge following that ate up everything and anything MJ / NBA related during that span ... contracts were made, signed and formed off league success that could be DIRECTLY attributed to Michael Jordan.

The NBA needs to lower its salaries once again, and they will once again become profitable.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED
 
gasolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,351
Default Re: NBA in financial difficulty? Projecting 400 million loss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenneBell
The superstars get paid that type of money because they usually generate even more for everyone else. A Kobe, LeBron, Wade type generates way more money for their team and league than what they are paid.
Do they? If Kobe, Lebron, Wade didn't have the Lakers, Cavs and Heat.. would they still earn money?

A lot of people forget that the league makes it possible for superstar players to earn that much. Even though a lot of people pay to see Lebron, Lebron needs as much as the Cavs and the league in order to make it work.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy