Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #76
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Default Re: short dunk mix

Let's put your 31" vert in comparison:

I'm 6'3" and can dunk with a 1-step gather and get my right hand up and over the rim when I jump from complete stand-still. This combined with my standing reach of 8'2,5" gives me a standing vert of about 24-25 inches and a running vert of about 31-32 inches . Now I'm not superfreaky athletic but I'm no slouch either. I can outjump most guys I meet and no offense to you, but I highly doubt that you from a complete stand-still can jump as high as I can from a 2-step. You might be able to throw the ball down, cause I have seen little guys do incredible things but your feats seem a bit much for me.

You're a full 8 inches shorter then me so in order to get up as high you'd be leaping at an NBA standard. Which I hope for you is true but I have my doubts. Keep working on your game though, if you can even get up 4-5 inches lower you'll have an advantage as a little man.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #77
5foot6
I brick open layups

the doctor told me that im supposed to be 5'10"-5'11". soo hopefully ill be throwing it down hard. and now im 5'6".75, and weigh 134. and just so you guys know, my dad used to dunk at 5'9", so maybe thats why i can jump high?
5foot6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #78
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak
ok valid point, but russel westbrook has a 30 inch standing vert, and maybe he too has increased his vertical but he was doing sick shit like this back in college
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FP0ua5xFw4

and a 31 inch standing vert, is pretty damn high..

nba players standing verts,:
chris paul- 32 inches
rudy gay- 33 inches
oj mayo- 30.5 inches
terrence williams- 30.5 inches
andre iguodala- 30.5 inches
rudy fernandez- 26.5 inches
jason richardson- 32.5 inches
tyreke evans- 28.5 inches

all info came from draft express

It's really not that high... I mean I had a standing 31" vert after all. NBA players generally don't have high standing verts because their brute strength and power isn't very impressive. WR's and CB's jump around 40 inches (standing still) because they are in great shape like ball players and they have that strength and power. Even Linebackers tho at around 230-250 pounds have crazy verts because their lower bodies are so damn strong. NBA players are gliders and can jump high when moving, but there are quite a few players who probably can't even dunk at a standstill even with their crazy reaches.

Guys like Russell Westbrook and Black Griffen both baffle me though. Both of them didn't test as well as they should have at the combine. Westbrook definitely has a 40 inch vert or so when in games... dude get's his head near rim level... and Griffen gets way up there too, but both tested at around 35 inches when moving. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 03-07-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #79
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
It's really not that high... I mean I had a standing 31" vert after all. NBA players generally don't have high standing verts because their brute strength and power isn't very impressive. WR's and CB's jump around 40 inches (standing still) because they are in great shape like ball players and they have that strength and power. Even Linebackers tho at around 230-250 pounds have crazy verts because their lower bodies are so damn strong. NBA players are gliders and can jump high when moving, but there are quite a few players who probably can't even dunk at a standstill even with their crazy reaches.

Guys like Russell Westbrook and Black Griffen both baffle me though. Both of them didn't test as well as they should have at the combine. Westbrook definitely has a 40 inch vert or so when in games... dude get's his head near rim level... and Griffen gets way up there too, but both tested at around 35 inches when moving. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

when i played football in high school many years back we were a small school and there were a couple players with 30-33 inch standing leaps which is better than the majority of nba pros.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 AM   #80
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
when i played football in high school many years back we were a small school and there were a couple players with 30-33 inch standing leaps which is better than the majority of nba pros.

Yea and that is fantastic for HS. The best I remember was a 34"... and I can't remember who did that. Those extra years of body maturing in College and then testing specifically for the combine, those same guys can get up around 40. Most of the guys in my HS on the football were at about 28" inch standing verts or so. I had a 29"... did that Senior year. Went up from a 21" my freshman year.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #81
ghettoracer
I airball my layups

Quote:

most likely because in games they are in the zone and are more relaxed. Westbrook is sick. I enjoy watching him play. Still has quite a bit of maturing to do though... watching his performance in FIBA World Cup thus far...
ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #82
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoracer
most likely because in games they are in the zone and are more relaxed. Westbrook is sick. I enjoy watching him play. Still has quite a bit of maturing to do though... watching his performance in FIBA World Cup thus far...

Yea that's about the only thing I can think of. I mean Griffen is 6'10 so a 35" vert is very good and maybe somewhat accurate (still think he jumps higher tho even in practice he gets his head right at the rim)... Westbrook tho definitely jumps higher than his 35" inch vert... I mean and it's not close. Domething in games must inspire him
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #83
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Swaggin, why are you calling him Black Griffen ?
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #84
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Swaggin, why are you calling him Black Griffen ?

Cus that's his name... isn't it?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #85
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Cus that's his name... isn't it?

It's Blake Griffin no problems though we know what you meant
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #86