Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Kellogs4toniee
Bulls 4 Life

Default Superman vs. Superman : Dwight Responds back to Shaq

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allsta...ory?id=4914961

Quote:
There's room on the planet for two Men of Steel, Dwight Howard says.

O'Neal
O'Neal
Howard
Howard

The Orlando Magic center, who has recently been verbally sparring with Shaquille O'Neal, said Sunday before the All-Star Game that there's no battle with Shaq over who is more deserving of the "Superman" nickname.

Last week, after O'Neal held Howard scoreless in the Cleveland Cavaliers' win over the Magic, Shaq said he was "offended" to be compared to Howard. "You tell me who the real Superman is," he said.

Howard was surprised by the comments and didn't take kindly to them at the time.

"It didn't sit well with me personally," he said. "I'm a young player trying to get to where he's at. I felt it would be better if he tried to help me instead of trying to put me down."

But on Sunday, in an interview with TNT, Howard said he had no issues with O'Neal.

"I don't have any problems against him," Howard said when asked if he would still reach out to O'Neal as a potential mentor. "The whole Superman thing, there's no battle of nicknames. I mean, if he wants to be Superman, he can be Superman. But I never tried to steal that title from him or take away anything that he's done for the game of basketball.

"I would like, instead of people fighting over a nickname, for us to be able to talk about what it's like to win a championship. Just little things that him being who he is can help me," Howard said on TNT. "But I never tried to do anything to be like him. I'm my own person. I just love to have fun, and I have a lot of respect for him and what he's brought to the game of basketball, and I would just ask that somebody like Shaquille O'Neal to help me become a better basketball player and a better person."

Say however much you want about the disappointment of Dwight Howard's offensive game in a fairly weak league center-wise, but his comments after Shaq's spout really surprised me because it really showcased his maturity. I love Shaq, but it really does disgust me these days to see a legendary player like him spew venom on other players and ex-teammates in his bandwagon quest for as many rings as he can when he should be mentoring other players such as Dwight, who obviously when younger looked up to Shaq as a hero.

Well said Dwight, much respect from over here. Opinions?
Kellogs4toniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
PianoMan

Default Re: Superman vs. Superman : Dwight Responds back to Shaq

Shaq is immature. I feel Dwight What he is saying. Shaq should be trying to help him become a better person and a ball player. Fighting over nicknames is dumb.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

Howard knows how to act like a little kid at times without offending others, Shaq doesn't.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Dwight handled this situation well. Shaq is such a bitter prick when it comes to Dwight.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
XxSMSxX
Banned

Sounds like he's scared of being compared to Shaq
XxSMSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Kellogs4toniee
Bulls 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSMSxX
Sounds like he's scared of being compared to Shaq

No actually I think he was just being humble. If you read the post he says he's trying to get where Shaq was in his prime. He understands he is nowhere the level Shaq was during his career, but he still respects the player, notes that he understands his legacy, and does the right thing by not snapping back and stating that he wished his idol would give him advice instead of jawing insults at him.

It's like if you adored a player when you were young, then the league and hype put you into a position where your being compared with that player, and you feel all warm and happy inside because your being compared to your idol, then he comes back and puts you down. Wouldn't you want to snap back? Howard didn't, that's why he showed real maturity.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
HylianNightmare
The Magic are a trash

Very classy dwight
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
macmac
Gov'n

Why would Shaq help him become a better player? They're both on contenders in the East vying for a championship. I'm sick of all this allstar friendliness. Instead of deflating the beef, Howard should elbow Shaq next game right in the gut. Get some rivalry going, take it personal. This isn't a goddamn social club.
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Take Your Lumps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Why would Shaq help him become a better player? They're both on contenders in the East vying for a championship. I'm sick of all this allstar friendliness. Instead of deflating the beef, Howard should elbow Shaq next game right in the gut. Get some rivalry going, take it personal. This isn't a goddamn social club.

Even Rasheed Wallace, at the height of the Orlando/Detroit playoff battles, would give Dwight pointers.

You think Zo, Ewing and Hakeem treated Shaq the way you described? Absolutely not, because that's not what a decent human being does.

Try treating people like that in your life and see how many allies you end up with in the end.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
King Baron
Phil GOAT GM

Quote:

Agreed. I'm not a fan of Bynum, but a few years ago when Shaq punked him he went right back at Shaq and dunked. None of this 'he can have the nickname, why isn't he mentoring me' stuff
King Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Kellogs4toniee
Bulls 4 Life

It's quite obvious that Dwight thinks very very highly of Shaq.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
RichSmoove
Pull my finger

how is a grown ass man gonna fight with someone young enough to be his child?

RichSmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSmoove
how is a grown ass man gonna fight with someone young enough to be his child?

very easily their both grown ass men.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
visirale
Local High School Star

And if we really wanna be real about this, Dwight looks a lot more similar to superman than Shaq does.

Dwight Howard:

Superman:

Shaq:

Superhero Equivalent:
visirale is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: