Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
SilkkTheShocker
WESTBROOK=OVERRATED
 
SilkkTheShocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TRUMP TRAIN
Posts: 14,591
Default How Racist Are You?

We all are racist in some way. Just natural human instinct. Doesn't mean necessarily mean you have to hate a whole race. But of course you're going to take precaution when it comes to certain groups.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
UK2K
5-time NBA All-Star
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 11,128
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

Depends on your definition of racist...

See, a cop driving through a rich white neighborhood may question why a black dude in a '85 POS is driving through.

Now the question is, is that racist? Or is it just that that's something out of the ordinary in a rich white neighborhood? I'd say the latter. Your average ISH crybaby will claim that its all about race, but its not; its about seeing something that looks out of place.

Now consider a cop driving through the ghetto. Say, Ferguson, where its 99% black. He sees a white guy walking down the street... is it racist to stop and ask the white guy what he's doing (because they do, all the time), or is he stopping and asking because it seems out of place?

Rich white couple walking down the street, woman sees a black man on the sidewalk with a hoodie and stupidly baggy pants coming towards her and so she clutches her purse. Is that racist? Or is it just unusual to see someone dressed like that in her area? What if it was white street trash? Is she still racist? Or is still unusual to see someone dressed like that?

Most criminals are not caught because they committed a crime and were caught in the act. Most are caught because an officer used intuition, saw something out of place (because he's a racist), and went to investigate, stumbling on someone with an O in their pocket.

Would you order Mexican food from a place owned and run by Chinese people? I wouldn't. Neither would 99% of other people, so that makes us all racist, per the way the label is used these days. It's racist to want equal testing standards for schools, but not racist to want equal representation among NBA GM's. It's racist to want equal hiring standards, but not racist to have your own TV channel. It's racist to have white heritage night, but not to have black heritage night?

It goes on and on.

Cries of racism, these days in particular, are used for any kind of stereotyping, no matter what the case (how some call wanting to build a wall as racist, when Mexican is not a race). So it becomes old, overused, repetitive; but as long as someone (lawyers looking to make a quick buck, or the media wanting to spin a narrative) is willing to give that person attention, it will continue.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Nilocon165
Cavs Baby!
 
Nilocon165's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: nowhere
Posts: 3,907
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

I follow these world star accounts on Twitter and I think I'm slowly becoming racist
Nilocon165 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Canelo_Griffin
I usually hit open layups
 
Canelo_Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GDL, OK
Posts: 191
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

I think the better term is prejudice. People sometimes get racism and prejudice confused. Everyone is prejudice whether they admit it or not,it's in our nature. Just because you're prejudice doesn't necessarily mean you're racist. I think racism starts when you allow your prejudice to directly determine your actions.

For example, you can think that "x" race is lazy because you've met a lot of "x" type of people who are lazy. That's a prejudice that you will form in your head. But actually being racist is to not even give an opportunity to someone of that "x" race because you "know" they're lazy (in a situation where you'd be a hiring manager etc)

I could also just be talking outta my ass, idk..
Canelo_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
DeuceWallaces
I am your density
 
DeuceWallaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 18,747
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

Believing an entire race is lazy in fact means you're a racist. You do not have to act upon it.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 39,445
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
We all are racist in some way. Just natural human instinct. Doesn't mean necessarily mean you have to hate a whole race. But of course you're going to take precaution when it comes to certain groups.
Racism is hate to another race. I think you're speaking of different stereotypes.
We stereotype different races all the time, doesn't mean I hate them and want them lynched.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 18,585
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Racism is hate to another race. I think you're speaking of different stereotypes.
We stereotype different races all the time, doesn't mean I hate them and want them lynched.
exactly....this is what society needs to grasp

believing there is some truth to a stereotype =/= racism

I feel like -most- (not all) stereotypes came to exist because there is some degree of truth behind them. That doesn't mean I hate anyone.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #8
LikeABosh
Trump Towers
 
LikeABosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,138
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

I'm a Trump supporter but also black so I guess they cancel each other out
LikeABosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
UK2K
5-time NBA All-Star
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 11,128
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
exactly....this is what society needs to grasp

believing there is some truth to a stereotype =/= racism

I feel like -most- (not all) stereotypes came to exist because there is some degree of truth behind them. That doesn't mean I hate anyone.

But being stereotypical doesn't grab as many headlines as being racist...

So anything and everything is racist. Because, people continue to give them attention.

Like the shooting in NC (?) yesterday. Guy in a bar pulls out a gun and shoots 3, could shoot everyone, but turns out a concealed carry holder pulled HIS gun and ended the situation.

Now, this is way more cool than hearing about a mass shooting, but a mass shooting grabs headlines (and pushes an agenda) whereas, a hero citizen using his constitutional right to PREVENT a mass shooting barely gets any coverage because A) propaganda and B) it's not as exciting.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #10
Canelo_Griffin
I usually hit open layups
 
Canelo_Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GDL, OK
Posts: 191
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Believing an entire race is lazy in fact means you're a racist. You do not have to act upon it.
I disagree. I think that we're entitled to have our own thoughts regardless of how perverse or illogical they are without being subjected to being labeled any kind of -"ist"... The moment you act on it, even sharing a thought with someone is when you cross that line.

The term racism has become so loose tho, that a discussion like this is pointless if everyone is sharing their thoughts based on a different definition of "racism"
Canelo_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
PullupJay
Certified G
 
PullupJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: & a Bonafide Stud
Posts: 1,960
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABosh
I'm a Trump supporter but also black so I guess they cancel each other out
PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #12
97 bulls
NBA Superstar
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,065
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

But Blacks and Latinos are routinly the group having to take an account for the stereotypes that they've been pegged with. And that's the problem. And thus often, innocent people get harassed by police simple because of the color of their skin.

If the police start harassing white males because they tend to be the biggest threat when it comes to terrorism or pedophilia then we will be able to say it's fair.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #13
97 bulls
NBA Superstar
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,065
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
But being stereotypical doesn't grab as many headlines as being racist...

So anything and everything is racist. Because, people continue to give them attention.

Like the shooting in NC (?) yesterday. Guy in a bar pulls out a gun and shoots 3, could shoot everyone, but turns out a concealed carry holder pulled HIS gun and ended the situation.

Now, this is way more cool than hearing about a mass shooting, but a mass shooting grabs headlines (and pushes an agenda) whereas, a hero citizen using his constitutional right to PREVENT a mass shooting barely gets any coverage because A) propaganda and B) it's not as exciting.
It must've got some pub. You live in Indy and got wind of it. And that's a great story, I don't see how it should warrant the same headline as a gunman killing 49 people and injuring another 53.

I also like the way you slyly implemented your bias for carry laws (not that I disagree with you) but for the sake of argument, did you know that some of the people killed in that club may have been killed by the police?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...5-10wmckICSzXA
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #14
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST
 
ROCSteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: D[M]V
Posts: 8,771
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

On a scale of 1-10, I would give myself a 3. I used to be like a 1.

I don't dislike anyone on just the basis of their race or ethnicity but certain tropes and stereotypes get on my nerves and I've gotten more and more annoyed by things than in the past.

For example, I have no problem with Asians as they generally are soft spoken, polite individuals on the surface but who knows what some of them are RALLY thinking. On average, they are not too boisterous and pompous but when I was at UMD, I would get annoyed as shit how they would flock in herds and not interact with 'outsiders' as often. In these cases, moreso with the girls, they would be meek as can be but once in mass, many seemed to makeup for being so nondescript by speaking fast as fck and seemingly never closing their mouth once in their comfort zone LOL. Still good people on the whole but they stay taking pictures in and of their surroundings in a very vanilla fashion even more than your average American narcissist.

Black Twitter is another good example. I love the humor and how creative many of those heads are at making fun of things, making visual connections and witty captions but it's irritating the ones who always have to chime in on minute injustices. The 'woke' crowd has slowly been losing my compassion for issues among black people due to the homogenous and hive-like reaction that is piggy-backed by the minds who feel they have diagnosed all the ways American culture has stained their collective psyche going back to generations that aren't even their own experience.
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #15
UK2K
5-time NBA All-Star
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 11,128
Default Re: How Racist Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
It must've got some pub. You live in Indy and got wind of it. And that's a great story, I don't see how it should warrant the same headline as a gunman killing 49 people and injuring another 53.

I also like the way you slyly implemented your bias for carry laws (not that I disagree with you) but for the sake of argument, did you know that some of the people killed in that club may have been killed by the police?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...5-10wmckICSzXA
A friend of mine who lives in Newport News told me about it.

And yes, I'm sure they did.

I know that ALL of the people alive that night are alive because of the police... shit happens. What's your point? You'd shoot with 100% accuracy in a dark, smoky, loud environment while hurtling dead bodies? Cause you're super awesome?

You watch too many movies. It's a lot harder than it looks. So yeah, I don't doubt it for a second. In fact, I expect it.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy