Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Default McGrady to Knick done deal

the deal is agreed upon in principal.
here is the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4924836

to NY: McGrady, Rodriquez
to HOU: Martin, Armstrong, Hill, Jeffries, the right to swap 2011 1st round pick with NY (top 1 protected), NY 2012 1st round pick (top 5 protected),
to SAC: Landry, Hughes, Dorsey

WOW!!!!!

That was a high price to pay to clear cap space for next year and land McGrady.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter

Default Re: McGrady to Knick done deal

To me, not really. I'm sure Walsh did something else. Deadline is over now, so we'll see what he swung.

So after trading Milicic for Cardinal, they say it is saving us 1 mil? I may be wrong on this. But my question for today is, How much capspace do we have now? Anybody?

To have the ability to sign 2 FA's, priceless. Can't wait til July 1st now !

Last edited by earlofupstate : 02-18-2010 at 03:19 PM.
earlofupstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
mjc1241
Kids at the park dunk on me

Especially for a rental player whose rights will be renounced on July 1st because his cap hold figure of about 30 mill is too high. Even though he makes 23 mil this year, if they want to retain his rights after July 1st, has to have a cap hold of his previous year's salary plus one third of said salary. That is why is cap hold figure is going to close to 30 mil for 2011 IF they retain his rights which they won't. Likewise, D. Lee's cap hold figure is going to be about 11-12 mil based on his current salary if they retain his rights after July 1st. Again, his rights will also be renounced on July 1st.
mjc1241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
mjc1241

Problem is if we do not get two max free agents, you will be looking to crucify Walsh. I am a Knick fan to the heart but ANY player wants to come to a team with some talent on board to build around. No 1st round pick in 2010, no 1st round pick in 2012 and Houston has the right to swap 1st rounders in 2011 with us. Does LeBron or Wade look at the Knicks and see that they can actually build a team around them if they signed with us? With the only four players under contract for 2010 being Gallo, Chandler, Douglas and Curry, do you really think that LeBron or Wade will have their people check for homes and great school districts in NY tomorrow and looking forward to running with those guys?
Time to start looking at the reality of the situation ladies and gents....
Old 02-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1241
Problem is if we do not get two max free agents, you will be looking to crucify Walsh. I am a Knick fan to the heart but ANY player wants to come to a team with some talent on board to build around. No 1st round pick in 2010, no 1st round pick in 2012 and Houston has the right to swap 1st rounders in 2011 with us. Does LeBron or Wade look at the Knicks and see that they can actually build a team around them if they signed with us? With the only four players under contract for 2010 being Gallo, Chandler, Douglas and Curry, do you really think that LeBron or Wade will have their people check for homes and great school districts in NY tomorrow and looking forward to running with those guys?
Time to start looking at the reality of the situation ladies and gents....

Didn't they get a 2010 first rounder from Boston? I may have read that wrong...
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
mjc1241

I hadn't seen that but if they do then that is a plus. ESPN kept saying a five player trade with the Celtics and Knicks but only mentioned Nate for House, Giddens and Walker. Still, the C's pick is going to be around the 25th pick or lower. Nothing to write home about unless they buy another pick like last year and try to move up then it may be bit better to swallow.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1241
I hadn't seen that but if they do then that is a plus. ESPN kept saying a five player trade with the Celtics and Knicks but only mentioned Nate for House, Giddens and Walker. Still, the C's pick is going to be around the 25th pick or lower. Nothing to write home about unless they buy another pick like last year and try to move up then it may be bit better to swallow.

We could package our 2 second rounders and the C's first rounders for maybey like the 22nd or 21rst pick in the draft. Looking at Omri Casspi...that would be a good pick.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

I think Walsh did good. More cap space and Jeffries is off our books.

Wonder if T-mac can play like he says he can.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
mjc1241

Now I heard that the trade is actually Nate and Marcus Landry for House, Giddens and Walker. Unless I am missing the 1st round pick piece but cannot confirm.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Jasi
Quality?

Is Hill included in the deal?
I've read different versions.
Anyone knows for sure?
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
mjc1241

Yes Hill is involved.
Jeffries, Hughes, Hill, a swap of 2011 first round pick, and our 2012 first round pick for T-Mac and Sergio Rodriguez.
That's the deal.
I would have given up Douglas before Hill if the option presented itself knowing that Rodriguez was part of the deal.
Douglas hasn't shown me that much to keep him.
Good news is that Duhon will now be officially on the bench. Start Douglas or Rodriguez at the point. I can't stand Duhon. He is and will always be a back-up...
Old 02-19-2010, 01:00 AM   #12
Qu33nz Knick
Can barely lace up my sneakers

You say we have no talent lets just say we only sign 1 max player that means we have a superstar, all star in David Lee, huge potential in Wil and Gallo right....Then we are left with big Eddy Curry who has becomes a horrible player butttt is extremely valuable to not only us but many teams next season due to the fact he has an expiring contract worth 11 MIL which can net us a really good player to go alongside said Superstar did anybody think of that or is it just me?....And lets just say that superstar turns out to be Lebron those 4 guys he has with him are far more talented than his current supporting cast minus Antawn Jamison...Does anyone agree or disagree let me know....
Qu33nz Knick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
Qu33nz Knick
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Because if you think about it the Rockets just landed a 25PPG scorer in Kevin Martin for salary relief in a struggling economy, the Cavs landed Jamison with Big Z's expiring contract, this kind of stuff happens every single year even when it wasn't a recession so believe me that 30 Mil is more like 40 after next season you guys will see for yourselves......BTW if you think Lee and Duhon was a sick pick n roll just imagine Lebron and Lee its crazyyyyyy

Last edited by Qu33nz Knick : 02-19-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Qu33nz Knick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

really a win win in this deal.any wise person knows that walsh didnt do this because he thinks tmac can still play.sadly,we've witnesses the day where tmac is irrelevant and only valuable monetarily.this was awesome.we not only got cap space but with him being an expirer but we got rid of jeffries bad contract and hill's guaranteed which is gr8 because he is sure to get two more years and quite frankly his career is looking more on the bust side than prospect.o n btw sergio rodriguez isnt a slouch.that guy can play.i wish we coulda got bayless out of the deal but hey...beggars cant be choosers right?
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:37 AM   #15
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
really a win win in this deal.any wise person knows that walsh didnt do this because he thinks tmac can still play.sadly,we've witnesses the day where tmac is irrelevant and only valuable monetarily.this was awesome.we not only got cap space but with him being an expirer but we got rid of jeffries bad contract and hill's guaranteed which is gr8 because he is sure to get two more years and quite frankly his career is looking more on the bust side than prospect.o n btw sergio rodriguez isnt a slouch.that guy can play.i wish we coulda got bayless out of the deal but hey...beggars cant be choosers right?

Now do you believe in the summer of 2010?

and to Qu33nz Knick I agree with you 100%.

I brought up that Eddy Curry possibility a lot today. Next season when his contract is a valuable expirerer, we can just trade him to a team looking to acquire a guy like CP3 or Melo in 2011 FA for a 2012 draft pick.

So we pretty much would still have picks for 2011 and 2012. If a team is desperate enough we could probably get both a 2011 and 2012 pick if we take on a contract.

Last edited by Bano114 : 02-19-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: