Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 02-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #16
Knicks101
Steal Your Girl

Knicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: McGrady to Knick done deal

The only bad thing (other than trading Hill) about this trade is that it basically guarantees that Walsh is going to sign any guy that's willing to come to New York.
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1241
Problem is if we do not get two max free agents, you will be looking to crucify Walsh. I am a Knick fan to the heart but ANY player wants to come to a team with some talent on board to build around. No 1st round pick in 2010, no 1st round pick in 2012 and Houston has the right to swap 1st rounders in 2011 with us. Does LeBron or Wade look at the Knicks and see that they can actually build a team around them if they signed with us? With the only four players under contract for 2010 being Gallo, Chandler, Douglas and Curry, do you really think that LeBron or Wade will have their people check for homes and great school districts in NY tomorrow and looking forward to running with those guys?
Time to start looking at the reality of the situation ladies and gents....
Finally someone that gets the gravity of the situation... People thinking this is great and roses... Its not.

You renounce McGrady and Lee... Then you have to convince LBJ and Bosh to sign with only Gallo, Douglas, Curry & Chandler...
I do agree Curry will be trade bait as an expirer but will that happen before July or after?

Now you are going to hope McGrady and Lee doesnt sign some where else as well. Who knows how long the superstars are going to hold out.

We have to compete with LA, Chicago, Miami for superstars.

The Knicks have no future in the draft for 3 years... so we cant even fall back on that. You have to fill out a roster of 15 people...

This is an ALL or NOTHING kind of deal. We have to get one of the big 3 or we are screwed.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
Finally someone that gets the gravity of the situation... People thinking this is great and roses... Its not.

You renounce McGrady and Lee... Then you have to convince LBJ and Bosh to sign with only Gallo, Douglas, Curry & Chandler...
I do agree Curry will be trade bait as an expirer but will that happen before July or after?

Now you are going to hope McGrady and Lee doesnt sign some where else as well. Who knows how long the superstars are going to hold out.

We have to compete with LA, Chicago, Miami for superstars.

The Knicks have no future in the draft for 3 years... so we cant even fall back on that. You have to fill out a roster of 15 people...

This is an ALL or NOTHING kind of deal. We have to get one of the big 3 or we are screwed.

Walsh has to use Curry to get picks. If he does then that problem is gone. And its not like we dont have a 2011 pick. If anything he could get another one from a Curry deal.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #19
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected poster

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...g-expectations

Walsh exceeded his own cap-clearing expectations
February, 18, 2010 9:21 PM ET

By Chris Sheridan

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- To his credit, despite a lack of a good night's sleep and after five hours of being kept on hold in the NBA's trade call queue, Donnie Walsh made it through his post-trade news conference this evening without mentioning the two words everyone else in New York couldn't stop repeating Thursday: LeBron James.

Not only that, but after clearing enough salary cap space to possibly make maximum salary offers to two high-level free agents, Walsh would not even come out and say that is his plan.

"I thought it was a good bet, but I'm not going to limit it to just this year. In other words, this puts the franchise in a position where it can build a contending team. That's what the goal was," Walsh said after overhauling nearly half the roster with three trades in the span of 24 hours trades that brought Tracy McGrady, Sergio Rodriguez, Eddie House, J.R. Giddens, Bill Walker and Brian Cardinal to New York.

All six new players have expiring contracts, as do holdovers Al Harrington, Chris Duhon, Jonathan Bender and David Lee.

Only Eddy Curry ($11.3 million), Danilo Gallinari ($3.3 million), Wilson Chandler ($2.1 million) and Toney Douglas ($1.07 million) are on the Knicks' cap for next season. If the Knicks renounce all their free agents (or, some could be used in sign-and-trade deals without having to be renounced), they will have in the area of $32-36 million in cap space to use, depending on where the 2010-11 salary cap is set.

Walsh had promised to try to clear as much cap space as possible when he first took over the Knicks, and he acknowledged being surprised at how much room he was able to clear. Since taking over in the summer of 2008, Walsh has traded three of the four longest and largest contracts he inherited -- Zach Randolph, Jamal Crawford, and now Jared Jeffries. By clearing away Hill's $2.6 million salary for next season, Thursday's moves shaved off another $9.5 million in previously committed 2010-11 salary.

"Where we got it to [before the McGrady trade] I thought was realistic, but to add this onto it is a little more than I thought we could do. I never said we were after two max [players], and I didn't know if it would add up to that, but this could now, I guess," Walsh said.

Walsh, perhaps mindful that the Toronto Raptors took exception early last season when Walsh mentioned the possible pursuit of Bosh in free agency, did not mention any of the potential 2010 free agents by name.

"I don't know who is going to be out there. I know what the free agent list is, and as soon as we get to it, we'll be prepared," Walsh said, "and if you don't get 'em this year, then maybe I won't be here but it'll be better for the guy coming in next."(WTF)

Walsh said he tried to make other deals between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. after the McGrady trade was agreed to, but nothing came to fruition. Walsh said McGrady was en route to New Y0rk, but it was uncertain whether he would make his debut in the Knicks' next game, Saturday night against Oklahoma City.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #20
mjc1241
Kids at the park dunk on me

mjc1241 has an OK reputation so far

As you can see, typically expiring contracts are moved at the deadline so Curry will not be moved before February 2011. The point is that when Lee and T-Mac are renounced, if somebody scoops them up, and Lee may indeed be a goner because a team will move on him, we are left with Douglas, Gallo, Chandler and Curry with just the HOPE that someone then signs with us. The biggest sell if going to be to trying to convince one of the top free agents to come to NY with only four players on their roster; check that, only three that they plan on playing. That's a tough sell.....Cap space is nice to have but it means NOTHING if you cannot use it and the players that you go after don't want it. You might as well have Monopoly money then...
mjc1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

OK yea it wasnt a first rounder in the Eddie house deal, it was a second round draft pick

Celtics get nate robinson and marcus landry
Knicks get Eddie House, J.R. Giddens, Bill Walker, and a conditional secound round pick

Last edited by JerzeyBlaze : 02-19-2010 at 11:01 AM.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #22
Knicks101
Steal Your Girl

Knicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKnicks101 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
OK yea it wasnt a first rounder in the Eddie house deal, it was a second round draft pick

Celtics get nate robinson and marcus landry
Knicks get Eddie House, J.R. Giddens, Bill Walker, and a conditional secound round pick

Where did you see this?
Knicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #23
Rameek
Krust Kingz

In theory you would hold that expirer till Feb 11 but how do you fill out the roster of 15 after signing 2 max contracts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1241
As you can see, typically expiring contracts are moved at the deadline so Curry will not be moved before February 2011. The point is that when Lee and T-Mac are renounced, if somebody scoops them up, and Lee may indeed be a goner because a team will move on him, we are left with Douglas, Gallo, Chandler and Curry with just the HOPE that someone then signs with us. The biggest sell if going to be to trying to convince one of the top free agents to come to NY with only four players on their roster; check that, only three that they plan on playing. That's a tough sell.....Cap space is nice to have but it means NOTHING if you cannot use it and the players that you go after don't want it. You might as well have Monopoly money then...
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
WhySoInsecure?
ILL WILL RUNS NYC

WhySoInsecure? is considered somewhat coolWhySoInsecure? is considered somewhat cool

Walsh can still buy some late 1st and 2nd round picks.

I doubt we can land Wade/Lebron but Amare or Boozer will come here for the money. Joe Johnson is also an option.

If Amare leaves phoenix (and he will), chances are we might be able to trade Curry for Nash. We could even try and pull a sign and trade and give up Curry/Douglas for Amare, leaving us with more money to spend.
WhySoInsecure? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #25
mjc1241

Filling out the roster is another question that needs to be addressed. I have pointed out over the last day or so that we only had four players under contract for 2011 which many people fail to fully realize. It requires 15 players to fill out an NBA roster AND having only four players to sell to a potential free agent is a pretty tough sell. It is not often the case that you trade an expiring contract in the off season; teams hold onto those players as a chip for the trade deadline and teams don't trade for them until the trade deadline because it is the last time that you can lower payroll in the season prior to when luxury tax payments are due. That is why Washington is going to buy out Bug Z, that is Minny is going to buy out Darko, that is why the Clippers are going to buy out Gooden and so on. They are looking to lower their cap figure to minimize luxury tax payments or get under the luxury tax threshold.
BTW, Nash is not going anywhere. He is the team's most marketable asset and he will be kept. Amare' is going to Miami, unless Bosh or Boozer beat him to it first.

Last edited by mjc1241 : 02-19-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #26
Rameek
Krust Kingz

After giving the Rockets the right to swap 2011 draft picks and giving up a 2012 pick not having a 2010 pick anything less than getting LBJ, Wade, Bosh to me would be a failure! Before the deal for the picks I believed Joe Johnson and Amare would have been sufficient to build a quality team. I dont know how we could get Amare now though if he doesnt opt out which I dont know who leaves 17 mill on the table. I dont know Joe leaves Atlanta if they make it the ECF or the championship game.

The Knicks dont have the option to sign and trade because the we dont have nothing to trade Imagine if the Suns do accept that sign and trade of Douglas/Curry... You still have to get the team up to a roster of 15. I do love that thinking though somewhat though.

The Knicks can buy picks obviously but I think the highest I would imagine we could get is probably around 24. You can find decent players around that pick and beyond but we are talking about a player to fit into Dumbtoni's system.

I think the Knicks options are so crazy and far fetched we are going to have things to talk about for years to come
Old 02-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #27
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Well, I figure one of two things will be done with the 3 second round picks.

1. Trade all 3 for a late first rounder.

2. Use all 3 to help fill out the roster.

If we do number 2 then say we have our 4 guys then 2 max guys. Thats 6. Add the 3 second rounders and thats 9. Then we would probably trade Curry for more then one player and sign others to the veterans minimum.

Thats just 1 idea on filling out the roster.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #28
mjc1241

If someone trades for Curry BEFORE the 2011 deadline, I would be surprised. Remember, Walsh is not going to compromise the summer of 2011 by trading Curry for players with contracts beyond 2011; not with Carmelo Anthony and CP3 on the market as free agents then. The summer of 2010 shakes out like this in regards to options:
Plan A - LeBron - nobody knows what LeBron is going to do but my guess is that he stays in Cleveland.

Plan B - Wade - forgetaboutit! IF he leaves Miami, he's going to Chicago. Let's see, playing with Gallo or playing with D Rose. What do you think? Chicago's commercial market share is not much smaller than NY's.

Plan C - both Bron and Wade. Nope! If LeBron does not come to NY, then Wade will not come and IF they were to play together do you think that LeBron would rather go to Miami or come to NY and try to recruit Wade to leave Miami. Let's see what Miami has going for it in that proposal:
1. Miami will have the money for one max player.
2. It's Miami! Nuff said.
3. No state tax in Florida.
4. Pat Riley
5. It's easier to LeBron to just go to Miami than it is for him to get Wade to come to NY.
6. Did I say that it's Miami!!

Plan D - Bosh, Boozer or Amare - I put them all in one pot becuase:
Both Amare' and Booz have homes in Miami already. Just a coincidence but again you have the allure of no state tax in Florida. Bosh will be looking to either go to Miami, depending on who signs there first OR go back home to Texas. He ONLY comes to NY if Bron or Wade comes, so refer back to Plans A and B above.

Plan E - Joe Johnson - Pretty darn good player but not enough to turn us around alone and re-sign T-Mac IF he wants to stay. Based on knowing that he is a rental for NY, do you really think that he will not be living out of a suitcase for the next two months or so.

Plan F - FAILURE!! Couldn't be a more applicable plan assignment in this case. If you don't get two of the top five free agents at once, then we fail miserably. Lottery bound and the pick that we swapped with the Rockets is only Top One protected meaning after the first overall pick, Houston can swap.

We can't be be delusional in thinking that now that we have the money, they will come. With no Collective Bargaining Agreement in place for 2011, players are really going to take into consideration that leaving their current teams might leave millions of dollars on the table. Even though if a strike occurs, players don't get paid anyway but would you rather have 20-25 mil in your pocket prior to a possible strike, or have 16-18 mil by moving to another team. Even though these guys make more money that many of us will never see, it still is alot of money to them.
Did you know that 60-70 percent of NBA players are bankrupt or close to by the age of 40?
Did you know that 70-75 percent of NFL players are bankrupt or close to by the age of 40?
That's real and even though they are making millions today, they still look to plan for the future like you and I. I live in Georgia and personally know or know of a few ex NBA players that aren't rolling real big right now who live here.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #29
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks101
Where did you see this?

Yahoo trade tracker: scroll down to the knicks celtics section

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #30
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

At the very least, everything is set up perfectly. I can't say I expect the Knicks to get Lebron, Wade or Bosh... but Amare and Boozer are legit possibilities.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: