Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Akrazotile
Cavs fan since forever
 
Akrazotile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,136
Akrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryAkrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

They recently passed a law that will enact the very first minimum wage in the country's history beginning in 2015, but currently and historically there has never been a minimum wage in Germany, one of the EU's strongest economic countries. Even the one they just recently passed will have exemptions for seasonal workers and other various components of the workforce.


How can that be? Why hasn't Germany just been run amok with poverty and crime? Minimum wage is what keeps the masses from starving to death on the street, right?


How is it that one of the world's economic superpowers manages to stave off upheaval and destitution without the all-important "minimum wage"???



Edit: And they enacted it for political reasons, as there is clearly no historical basis for it given their economic success. It's one of those things just to make the masses 'feel' like the government wants to help them. Ultimately the extra bump in low-end wages will come at the expense of middle management positions and promotion opportunities. But hey, what can you do? Everyone's vote counts the same, despite the fact that their knowledge, effort, initiative and circumstance varies widely. One of the funny things about democracy.

Last edited by Akrazotile : 07-03-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Akrazotile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
moe94
explodeInForeign
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,894
moe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Does this really upset you? lol
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Akrazotile
Cavs fan since forever
 
Akrazotile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,136
Akrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryAkrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
Does this really upset you? lol



You know bro if it weren't for people who actually do get upset about important issues like this, your life would be ****ing solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.


You sure wouldnt be sitting on a computer chatting about basketball on the internet. You'd be fukcing tied up to a stake in your burning village while pillaging hordes of invaders rape your kids.


**** yourself.
Akrazotile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
moe94
explodeInForeign
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,894
moe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrazotile
You know bro if it weren't for people who actually do get upset about important issues like this, your life would be ****ing solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.


You sure wouldnt be sitting on a computer chatting about basketball on the internet. You'd be fukcing tied up to a stake in your burning village while pillaging hordes of invaders rape your kids.


**** yourself.
So like right now?

It's the minimum wage in Germany. You just love being upset.
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,182
RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

maybe because policies like the minimum wage don't exist in a vacuum for the express purpose of supporting your retarded agenda?

it could be because germany has a long history of progressive politics following something of the scandanavian model, that social justice and economic progress are interdependent and reinforcing. germany has one of the best educational systems in the world. it's almost all publicly funded and free of charge, starting with kids still in their diapers and staying on the house all the way up to the most prestigious academic institutions they have to offer. private schooling is not allowed; attendance at public school is compulsory starting at 6 y/o.

that's all irrelevant though. my apologies for polluting your thread with facts concerning issues you claim to want to discuss while you simultaneously and systematically ignore them because what you really want to do rant about your pansy ass political opponents like me and everybody else in the world who gives a shit about their fellow man.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
embersyc
Lurker
 
embersyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,033
embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

You know that in Germany the maximum allowed work week is 40 hours. (It is illegal for you to work overtime)

You get many paid holidays. (At least double US)

Including 1 month of paid vacation annually.

You get 1 full year for maternity leave.

Males get extended paternity leave.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
moe94
explodeInForeign
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,894
moe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemoe94 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
maybe because policies like the minimum wage don't exist in a vacuum for the express purpose of supporting your retarded agenda?

it could be because germany has a long history of progressive politics following something of the scandanavian model, that social justice and economic progress are interdependent and reinforcing. germany has one of the best educational systems in the world. it's almost all publicly funded and free of charge, starting with kids still in their diapers and staying on the house all the way up to the most prestigious academic institutions they have to offer. private schooling is not allowed; attendance at public school is compulsory starting at 6 y/o.

that's all irrelevant though. my apologies for polluting your thread with facts concerning issues you claim to want to discuss while you simultaneously and systematically ignore them because what you really want to do rant about your pansy ass political opponents like me and everybody else in the world who gives a shit about their fellow man.


this is the part where he mixes ironic jokes with semi seriousness in an effort to come across as playfull
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
Jameerthefear
Feelin' Dandy
 
Jameerthefear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Manaka is bae
Posts: 30,489
Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
Does this really upset you? lol
dude is a loser
still love u moe
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Akrazotile
Cavs fan since forever
 
Akrazotile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,136
Akrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryAkrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
maybe because policies like the minimum wage don't exist in a vacuum for the express purpose of supporting your retarded agenda?

it could be because germany has a long history of progressive politics following something of the scandanavian model, that social justice and economic progress are interdependent and reinforcing. germany has one of the best educational systems in the world. it's almost all publicly funded and free of charge, starting with kids still in their diapers and staying on the house all the way up to the most prestigious academic institutions they have to offer. private schooling is not allowed; attendance at public school is compulsory starting at 6 y/o.


How come they have all those things and we don't?
Akrazotile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,182
RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrazotile
How come they have all those things and we don't?


great question. seems like an excellent starting place for an investigation.

or you could not bother with any of that and just make up an answer. preferably something that would neatly cohere to the predetermined notions you've already expressed on this site with all that condescending bravado you're so good at embodying.

you could go with the easy one like "well thats turning the problem on its head... the reality is that not giving into those softy policies for most of its history is whats made america so economically dominant until like 30 years ago". or maybe something a little more subtle and complex, like "germany used to be the dominant big kid on the block, the ubermensch... but then they chose hitlerover freedom, got their ass wooped by AMERRRRRICA, and now its a country of feeble insecure losers who pat each other on the back at their weekly meetings... they're still doin okay on the global scene but thats just history and they're in serious decline, i mean just look at this new minimum wage thing thats gonna have bad consequences cuz nobody is gonna invent anything anymore and small businesses will go belly up!"

its up to you though
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
Akrazotile
Cavs fan since forever
 
Akrazotile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,136
Akrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryAkrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs


great question. seems like an excellent starting place for an investigation.

or you could not bother with any of that and just make up an answer. preferably something that would neatly cohere to the predetermined notions you've already expressed on this site with all that condescending bravado you're so good at embodying.

you could go with the easy one like "well thats turning the problem on its head... the reality is that not giving into those softy policies for most of its history is whats made america so economically dominant until like 30 years ago". or maybe something a little more subtle and complex, like "germany used to be the dominant big kid on the block, the ubermensch... but then they chose hitlerover freedom, got their ass wooped by AMERRRRRICA, and now its a country of feeble insecure losers who pat each other on the back at their weekly meetings... they're still doin okay on the global scene but thats just history and they're in serious decline, i mean just look at this new minimum wage thing thats gonna have bad consequences cuz nobody is gonna invent anything anymore and small businesses will go belly up!"

its up to you though



Hypothetically what if you found out the answer was because they have common cultural emphases that simply do not exist in the worlds biggest melting pot? What if you found out Germans fundamentally had more innate kinship because of their homogenity? Or what if it was proven theyre just outright smarter on average than other countires?


Basically Im just curious what you would say if you found out the answer didnt fit a politically correct narrative? What if Germany works better as a socialist country because of factors American socialists would hate to acknowledge? Would you seek to explore the answer further in detail, or simply ignore it because it makes you uncomfortable?


Im not saying I have the definitive answer. Im just asking hypothetically, if you found out the real answer conflicted with feel-good PC talking points, what would you do next?
Akrazotile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #12
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,182
RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

i'd be highly skeptical towards anything that suggested an "innate x-ness" because 99% of the time a claim like that is only made to serve the person making it. in the 1% case that some real and reasonable evidence is offered to support such a claim, a scenario i think is extremely implausible bordering on scientifically impossible, i'd investigate the history and roots of those qualities and characteristics in an attempt to discover their origins. assuming they have generally positive outcomes like you described, i'd ponder ways to emulate the society.... there are all kinds of course. some are too dangerous to consider. others can be implemented using incentives that still allow for freedom and choice but hint at what must clearly be the healthier option. if the problem boils down to homogeneity as you've suggested plenty of times (health care cant work because america is a really big melting pot is i think your line) then decentralization would be an ideal to start with and then you consider tactics, potential pitfalls, etc. if they're smarter because they're the civilized descendants of the ancient greeks.... well there's not much you can do there then.

wait a second why am i answering you seriously?

hell the question is a waste of time. your focus regardless of the issue at play is always to hone in on what differentiates people. my focus is typically what people have in common. and when it comes to formulating policy, the answers imo are pretty obvious. no we aren't going to be able to fix everything and turn the world into a smurfs commune. but giving people opportunities to succeed, rather than forcing them into a fight or flight pull your bootstraps ultimatum, is a standard that i believe is completely self-evident.

Last edited by RidonKs : 07-03-2014 at 10:59 PM.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #13
Grüner Pinguin
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 883
Grüner Pinguin has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Did this guy really just say that Germany is socialist?
Grüner Pinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #14
Akrazotile
Cavs fan since forever
 
Akrazotile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,136
Akrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryAkrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grüner Pinguin
Did this guy really just say that Germany is socialist?


There is obviously no one word to describe their or any economic system but I was clearly referencing the policies he noted which are socialist by American standards. I was typing quickly and figured I didn't have to qualify every statement for nitpickers. I guess I was wrong doe
Akrazotile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #15
Grüner Pinguin
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 883
Grüner Pinguin has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Did you know Germany doesn't have a minimum wage?

Socialism is public ownership of the means of production. Germany is clearly a capitalist country.

Don't use words that you don't understand the meaning of. Makes you look retarded and what you write seems meaningless.
Grüner Pinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy