Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #811
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave
 
Knuck the Ficks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,126
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAndre Gordon
From there I simply pointed him in the direction of an Einstein quote.
Have you ever studied Partial Differential Equations or stochastic processes? You don't pick them up without thousands of hours of LEARNING (that thing you so casually deride)
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #812
DeAndre Gordon
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 259
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
so you are the real chris samuels?

yes, and all the other chris samuels' are just imitating so won't the real chris samuels please stand up (*stands up*), please stand up (*stands up*)
DeAndre Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #813
DeAndre Gordon
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 259
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck the Ficks
Have you ever studied Partial Differential Equations or stochastic processes?


Psshh. Yeah. When I was like five!
DeAndre Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #814
HERB Stempel
Not airballing my layups anymore
 
HERB Stempel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 113
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

mayhaps HERB stempel has run its course in light of this new union
HERB Stempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #815
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,479
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAndre Gordon
yes, and all the other chris samuels' are just imitating so won't the real chris samuels please stand up (*stands up*), please stand up (*stands up*)
so you'd prefer if i didn't post your phone number?
AtomSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #816
DeAndre Gordon
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 259
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
so you'd prefer if i didn't post your phone number?


I'd prefer you stop pretending like that's even a possibility.
DeAndre Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 AM   #817
DeAndre Gordon
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 259
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB Stempel
mayhaps HERB stempel has run its course in light of this new union


there's a lot of people on this website that are obsessed with me.

there's gotta be a way i can parlay that into money.
DeAndre Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #818
DeAndre Gordon
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 259
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
should i delete it?

lol call it and ask for chris
DeAndre Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #819
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave
 
Knuck the Ficks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,126
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAndre Gordon
Psshh. Yeah. When I was like five!
Good. Now that we've established that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, can you please stop dismissing education?
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 AM   #820
DeAndre Gordon
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 259
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck the Ficks
Good. Now that we've established that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, can you please stop dismissing education?


dude....

i never dismissed it. i dismissed you for implying that nobody could do anything in life without completing four years of college.
DeAndre Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:37 AM   #821
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave
 
Knuck the Ficks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,126
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAndre Gordon
dude....

i never dismissed it. i dismissed you for implying that nobody could do anything in life without completing four years of college.
Go on and show me where I said that champ.
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #822
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,801
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

So... Is DeAndre saying that he is Starface? I'm confused by the direction of the conversation.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #823
vapid
Paranoid Android
 
vapid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: London/California/Asia
Posts: 8,538
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
I don't know about other Asian languages but I know Chinese is an extremely simplistic, restrictive language.
This is ridiculous. Chinese is one of the most complex and intricate languages in the world. It takes decades to master it and the vast amount of different characters allows Mandarin-speakers to express feelings and occurrences that other languages, such as English, can not.

Quote:
There's a reason why Chinese are essentially known for math. You can't write beautiful poetry in Chinese because they don't have near the superlatives or synonyms as in Romance languages. Their creativity is necessarily stifled by the language.

What a JOKE. The Chinese have been writing poetry for thousands of years. Its an incredibly important and well respected part of the Chinese culture, with even the average modern Chinese person able to utilize certain verses in relation to daily life. Li Bai, Zhuge Liang, Emperor Qianlong, even Mao was an accomplished poet. China is actually notorious for its poetry. And of course anyone has heard of Japanese haiku.


Quote:
The idea that Chinese and other Asians are somewhat "robotic" in personality is no coincidence. And the fact that they are so enamored and fascinated with things like rap music and american celebrities and the like is not as well.

Alot of asians enjoy rap yes, but its rap made from other asian artists, which is much different than the music produced here. The fascination for american celebrities you must be thinking of is also pretty much focused on the Japanese. Probably because they were occupied by American forces.

Quote:
For them, not working a standard 9-5 isn't really a consideration, because there is no other forms of expression or production to consider (relative to American culture, of course). It's just not even something they'd think about.

This just isn't worth addressing. Sure if you ignore every Asian artist/musician/athlete/whatever in the world.

Quote:
So what AtomSmasher said is correct. In an Asian circle, not going the academic route is probably considered perilous and illogical. But that's simply their perception.
Perilous, possibly. But how can you not view that disregarding taking the established institutional path as less risky? I can't think of any argument where pursuing an entrepreneurial or artistic career without any academic credentials on your resume to help bolster the confidence of potential investors or to help get your name out there (for artists) would be considered less risky. But its not considered illogical to pursue a non-academic route.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #824
vapid
Paranoid Android
 
vapid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: London/California/Asia
Posts: 8,538
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

After I spoke about the implicit Asian racism, Deandre made that terrible post.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #825
DeAndre Gordon
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 259
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
This is ridiculous. Chinese is one of the most complex and intricate languages in the world. It takes decades to master it and the vast amount of different characters allows Mandarin-speakers to express feelings and occurrences that other languages, such as English, can not.



No it's not. There are FAR fewer grammatical rules in Chinese than in other languages. They don't conjugate verbs. In English you would say "I run," or "he runs." In Chinese its just "I run" or "he run." And they don't have indefinite articles either. It wouldn't be "He runs to the store." It would be "He run to store." You wouldn't say "He is holding a tennis ball." You would say "He holding tennis ball."

Also, this:

Quote:
The first important fact about the Chinese syllable is that no consonant clusters are allowed. In contrast, English can have up to three consonants in a row. splash, spring, facts, are just some examples with three consonants together; clusters with two consonants are even more numerous: play, pray, floor, stand, clue, kept are but a few examples. The upshot of this prohibition against consonants clustering together is that there are fewer consonant sounds in a given number of Chinese syllables than in English.
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/chine...esyllable.html



I suspect you just don't want to admit the language is simpler and less complex because you think it implies inferiority. That's your inference, not mine.

The fact is, there are far less options in being descriptive, explanatory, poetic etc. in Chinese. Yes, they do have their own forms of poetry and things like that, I'm not saying they don't. But their language is necessarily constricted by boundaries. They don't have the superlatives and lexical flexibility that languages like English do. In English you can type the paragraph I just did but tweak it in innumerable different ways. That's not the case in Chinese. Their language is straightforward and just simply is not as flexible lexically. This is a fact. A concept like "it's not what you say, it's how you say it" is not relevant in Chinese. They don't take care to "dress up" statements. They just say them. That's why Americans often interpret Chinese as rude. Chinese don't place emphasis on the aesthetics of a statement. They simply say what their thoguht is, and Americans often find such directness jarring.

And how you think is directly influenced by what the parameters of your language are. This has been studied and tested. You can't think about concepts that you do not have a vehicle for contemplating them with. There are so many ideas and concepts in American culture that do not exist in Chinese culture, therefore they do not even have words for them. This applies vice versa but is more pronounced in the first instance. The Chinese simply don't have the linguistic variety of other cultures. This can be a positive in many ways for them as their focus is not as easily curbed at their "danwei" (lol). I could go on and on with many more painstaking details but its obvious you just don't want to admit something simple, hopefully though everyone else gets the picture.

Last edited by DeAndre Gordon : 03-14-2010 at 02:26 PM.
DeAndre Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy