Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-14-2010, 04:32 AM   #826
DeAndre Gordon
Banned

DeAndre Gordon has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Post a pic of yourself 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck the Ficks
Good. Now that we've established that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, can you please stop dismissing education?

dude....

i never dismissed it. i dismissed you for implying that nobody could do anything in life without completing four years of college.
DeAndre Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #827
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

Knuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected posterKnuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected posterKnuck the Ficks is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAndre Gordon
dude....

i never dismissed it. i dismissed you for implying that nobody could do anything in life without completing four years of college.
Go on and show me where I said that champ.
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #828
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So... Is DeAndre saying that he is Starface? I'm confused by the direction of the conversation.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #829
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I don't know about other Asian languages but I know Chinese is an extremely simplistic, restrictive language.
This is ridiculous. Chinese is one of the most complex and intricate languages in the world. It takes decades to master it and the vast amount of different characters allows Mandarin-speakers to express feelings and occurrences that other languages, such as English, can not.

Quote:
There's a reason why Chinese are essentially known for math. You can't write beautiful poetry in Chinese because they don't have near the superlatives or synonyms as in Romance languages. Their creativity is necessarily stifled by the language.

What a JOKE. The Chinese have been writing poetry for thousands of years. Its an incredibly important and well respected part of the Chinese culture, with even the average modern Chinese person able to utilize certain verses in relation to daily life. Li Bai, Zhuge Liang, Emperor Qianlong, even Mao was an accomplished poet. China is actually notorious for its poetry. And of course anyone has heard of Japanese haiku.

Quote:
The idea that Chinese and other Asians are somewhat "robotic" in personality is no coincidence. And the fact that they are so enamored and fascinated with things like rap music and american celebrities and the like is not as well.

Alot of asians enjoy rap yes, but its rap made from other asian artists, which is much different than the music produced here. The fascination for american celebrities you must be thinking of is also pretty much focused on the Japanese. Probably because they were occupied by American forces.

Quote:
For them, not working a standard 9-5 isn't really a consideration, because there is no other forms of expression or production to consider (relative to American culture, of course). It's just not even something they'd think about.

This just isn't worth addressing. Sure if you ignore every Asian artist/musician/athlete/whatever in the world.

Quote:
So what AtomSmasher said is correct. In an Asian circle, not going the academic route is probably considered perilous and illogical. But that's simply their perception.
Perilous, possibly. But how can you not view that disregarding taking the established institutional path as less risky? I can't think of any argument where pursuing an entrepreneurial or artistic career without any academic credentials on your resume to help bolster the confidence of potential investors or to help get your name out there (for artists) would be considered less risky. But its not considered illogical to pursue a non-academic route.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #830
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

After I spoke about the implicit Asian racism, Deandre made that terrible post.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #831
DeAndre Gordon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
This is ridiculous. Chinese is one of the most complex and intricate languages in the world. It takes decades to master it and the vast amount of different characters allows Mandarin-speakers to express feelings and occurrences that other languages, such as English, can not.

No it's not. There are FAR fewer grammatical rules in Chinese than in other languages. They don't conjugate verbs. In English you would say "I run," or "he runs." In Chinese its just "I run" or "he run." And they don't have indefinite articles either. It wouldn't be "He runs to the store." It would be "He run to store." You wouldn't say "He is holding a tennis ball." You would say "He holding tennis ball."

Also, this:

Quote:
The first important fact about the Chinese syllable is that no consonant clusters are allowed. In contrast, English can have up to three consonants in a row. splash, spring, facts, are just some examples with three consonants together; clusters with two consonants are even more numerous: play, pray, floor, stand, clue, kept are but a few examples. The upshot of this prohibition against consonants clustering together is that there are fewer consonant sounds in a given number of Chinese syllables than in English.
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/chine...esyllable.html

I suspect you just don't want to admit the language is simpler and less complex because you think it implies inferiority. That's your inference, not mine.

The fact is, there are far less options in being descriptive, explanatory, poetic etc. in Chinese. Yes, they do have their own forms of poetry and things like that, I'm not saying they don't. But their language is necessarily constricted by boundaries. They don't have the superlatives and lexical flexibility that languages like English do. In English you can type the paragraph I just did but tweak it in innumerable different ways. That's not the case in Chinese. Their language is straightforward and just simply is not as flexible lexically. This is a fact. A concept like "it's not what you say, it's how you say it" is not relevant in Chinese. They don't take care to "dress up" statements. They just say them. That's why Americans often interpret Chinese as rude. Chinese don't place emphasis on the aesthetics of a statement. They simply say what their thoguht is, and Americans often find such directness jarring.

And how you think is directly influenced by what the parameters of your language are. This has been studied and tested. You can't think about concepts that you do not have a vehicle for contemplating them with. There are so many ideas and concepts in American culture that do not exist in Chinese culture, therefore they do not even have words for them. This applies vice versa but is more pronounced in the first instance. The Chinese simply don't have the linguistic variety of other cultures. This can be a positive in many ways for them as their focus is not as easily curbed at their "danwei" (lol). I could go on and on with many more painstaking details but its obvious you just don't want to admit something simple, hopefully though everyone else gets the picture.

Last edited by DeAndre Gordon : 03-14-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #832
vapid
Paranoid Android

You just said that I inferred from your post that Chinese is inferior to English, then you go and say "there are far less options in being descriptive, explanatory, poetic etc. in Chinese."

If Chinese is more restrictive than English in poetry than humanity I suppose hasn't found that limit yet because the Chinese have been creating different forms of poetry for hundred of years, and continue to do so. Chinese is not less descriptive or explanatory or less poetic it just doesn't fit the same grammatical structures that Romantic languages fill, its like a square peg in a round hole.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #833
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

People keep speaking out-of-tongue.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #834
DeAndre Gordon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
You just said that I inferred from your post that Chinese is inferior to English, then you go and say "there are far less options in being descriptive, explanatory, poetic etc. in Chinese."

If Chinese is more restrictive than English in poetry than humanity I suppose hasn't found that limit yet because the Chinese have been creating different forms of poetry for hundred of years, and continue to do so. Chinese is not less descriptive or explanatory or less poetic it just doesn't fit the same grammatical structures that Romantic languages fill, its like a square peg in a round hole.

Chinese poetry is not the main topic of discussion here.

What Atom Smasher was essentially saying is this: If you take 20 students from China and 20 students from America, the diversity in personality, perspective, values etc. is likely to be much greater among the American students. I was simply agreeing and offered up a causal factor for that effect.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #835
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAndre Gordon
Chinese poetry is not the main topic of discussion here.

What Atom Smasher was essentially saying is this: If you take 20 students from China and 20 students from America, the diversity in personality, perspective, values etc. is likely to be much greater among the American students. I was simply agreeing and offered up a causal factor for that effect.
Yea but I think the difference is overstated, plus the cause of that has to do with SO many different factors, based on the actions of a multitude of individuals and nations over the last 200 years and the economic and social repercussions they caused. If China and America switched roles the results would be similarly reversed. Language doesn't have much to do with it at all.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #836
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

(backwards, but you get it)

>>>>

see you in the Sweet 16 biiiiiiiitch
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #837
KingofDreams34
Banned

KingofDreams34 has an OK reputation so far

guess which one is me

KingofDreams34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #838
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246

(backwards, but you get it)

>>>>

see you in the Sweet 16 biiiiiiiitch

Cornell will bring the pain.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #839
CeoTypeDoe619

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofDreams34
guess which one is me

obviously black one
White boy with piercings dont seem like that they interested in basketball
and sorry but other guy looks like a F@g
Old 03-17-2010, 01:50 AM   #840
KingofDreams34
Banned

KingofDreams34 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeoTypeDoe619
obviously black one
White boy with piercings dont seem like that they interested in basketball
and sorry but other guy looks like a F@g

haha none of them are me. i just posted that pic cause the black dude is actually my friend IRL and he looks hella retarded in this pic.
KingofDreams34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: