Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Odinn
I make 50-feet jumpers
 
Odinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,956
Default Greatest season by a player?

Here is my candidate;

Shaquille O'Neal, 1999-00 season.

In regular season;
29.7 ppg / 13.6 rpg / 3.8 apg / 3.0 bpg / .574 fg / 33.8 eff
All-Star Game MVP
MVP (with 0.998 share, got 120 first place of available 121)
Made that Lakers a 67W team.
1st at ppg / 2nd at rpg / 3rd at bpg / 1st at fg%

In playoffs;
30.7 ppg / 15.4 rpg / 3.1 apg / 2.4 bpg / .566 fg / 33.8 eff
FMVP (38.0 ppg / 16.7 rpg / 2.3 apg / 2.7 bpg / .611 fg / 33.3 eff agains the Pacers)


Duncan and Shaq are my favourites players and I think Duncan's 2002-03 season can be mentioned. IMO, Duncan's 2003 playoff run was slightly better than Shaq's 2000 playoff run but Shaq dominated the regular season more.


What do you guys think? Who is your candidate about it?
Odinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Vienceslav
Local High School Star
 
Vienceslav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,591
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Sounds about right.
Vienceslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Rnbizzle
Banned
 
Rnbizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 4,843
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

If Lebron can keep up this kind of play and maybe even score some more points in the playoffs than he is right now, would you agree with me it's up there with the best seasons of all time?
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Odinn
I make 50-feet jumpers
 
Odinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
If Lebron can keep up this kind of play and maybe even score some more points in the playoffs than he is right now, would you agree with me it's up there with the best seasons of all time?
Awards are important. Winning is important. Like you mentioned; playoffs important. I mean look at Bird's numbers in 1987-88 season. Even better than LeBron's current numbers (at least equal) but no-one put some special weight to 1987-88 season in Bird's career.
Odinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
millwad
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,872
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Hakeem Olajuwon in '94, only player in league history to be crowned MVP, DPOY and Fina÷s MVP in the same season.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
shaq's--lakers
High school junior varsity star
 
shaq's--lakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 640
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Finals MVP (38.0 ppg / 16.7 rpg / 2.3 apg / 2.7 bpg / .611 fg / 33.3 eff


http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/127970...g-maradona.gif
shaq's--lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Rnbizzle
Banned
 
Rnbizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 4,843
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinn
Awards are important. Winning is important. Like you mentioned; playoffs important. I mean look at Bird's numbers in 1987-88 season. Even better than LeBron's current numbers (at least equal) but no-one put some special weight to 1987-88 season in Bird's career.
Yeah I forgot to add that, I meant assuming Miami wins the title and he's the Finals MVP and (unless anything crazy happens) he should have the regular season MVP on lock right now.
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Shepseskaf
Old School
 
Shepseskaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Caribbean
Posts: 5,908
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinn
MVP (with 0.998 share, got 120 first place of available 121)
Fred Hickman, from CNN, chose AI for the MVP vote that year and took major heat for it.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Odinn
I make 50-feet jumpers
 
Odinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
Yeah I forgot to add that, I meant assuming Miami wins the title and he's the Finals MVP and (unless anything crazy happens) he should have the regular season MVP on lock right now.
Yeah, he has a shot. But he need to be the closer in the playoffs. Also he will get criticized coz of his team. His numbers and performance can be exceptional but the result won't be. Because he is a part of the best team.
Odinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 23,200
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
Hakeem Olajuwon in '94, only player in league history to be crowned MVP, DPOY and Fina÷s MVP in the same season.
And Michael Jordan was playing baseball that year.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Pointguard
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Pointguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 7,680
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Sure you seen this one coming.

MJ 1993
Regular Season
32.6 ppg 5.5 assist 6.7 rebounds 2.8steals .08 blocks 49 FG5% .837 FT%

Post Season
35.1 ppg 6.0 assist 6.7 rebounds .475 FG% .800FT%

Finals 41ppg
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
bwink23
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,178
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Michael Jordan 1990 season:

33.6ppg on 52.6%FG, 37.6% 3FG, 84.8%FT,6.9 rebs, 6.3 assists, 2.8 steals, 0.7 blocks, 3 turnovers.....55% EFG.

POST SEASON: (16 games)

36.7ppg on 51.4%FG, 32.0% 3FG, 83.6%FT, 7.2 rebs. 6.8 assists, 2.8 steals, 0.9 blocks, 3.5 turnovers....53.3% eFG%.


Took the Bulls to Game 7 vs. the eventual champion Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals....good chance of advancing to the Finals and beating Portland who struggled against the Pistons losing 4 out of 5 games.....unfortunately Jordan was the only one who showed up as the Bulls turned in one of the greatest choke jobs in NBA history:

Box score of that game here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...006030DET.html

Jordan put this team of young players on his back and and carried them as far as anyone could, only to be FAILED when the pressure was at its peak...a downer to one of the greatest seasons performed in history.


And Jordan wasn't even voted MVP this season....
bwink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
Legends66NBA7
Apex
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 19,876
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwink23
Michael Jordan 1990 season:

33.6ppg on 52.6%FG, 37.6% 3FG, 84.8%FT,6.9 rebs, 6.3 assists, 2.8 steals, 0.7 blocks, 3 turnovers.....55% EFG.

POST SEASON: (16 games)

36.7ppg on 51.4%FG, 32.0% 3FG, 83.6%FT, 7.2 rebs. 6.8 assists, 2.8 steals, 0.9 blocks, 3.5 turnovers....53.3% eFG%.


Took the Bulls to Game 7 vs. the eventual champion Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals....good chance of advancing to the Finals and beating Portland who struggled against the Pistons losing 4 out of 5 games.....unfortunately Jordan was the only one who showed up as the Bulls turned in one of the greatest choke jobs in NBA history:

Box score of that game here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...006030DET.html

Jordan put this team of young players on his back and and carried them as far as anyone could, only to be FAILED when the pressure was at its peak...a downer to one of the greatest seasons performed in history.


And Jordan wasn't even voted MVP this season....

It's a damn shame that the Bulls didn't make the Finals that year.

I consider this season Jordan's best non-finals making playoff run...
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Pointguard
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Pointguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 7,680
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Wilt Chamberlain had the best all around year.

Regular Season
24.1 ppg 24.6 rebounds 7.8 Assist .683% FG%

Post Season
21.7 ppg 29.1 rebounds 9 assist .579FG%

Lead the regular season and the post season in assist, rebounds, FG% (somebody had a better FG% in the playoffs). Was 5th in scoring - regular season.

Very likely lead the league in blocks both regular season and playoffs.

Would have been DPOY and FMVP.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA champion
 
Deuce Bigalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,661
Default Re: Greatest season by a player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
Wilt Chamberlain had the best all around year.

Regular Season
24.1 ppg 24.6 rebounds 7.8 Assist .683% FG%

Post Season
21.7 ppg 29.1 rebounds 9 assist .579FG%

Lead the regular season and the post season in assist, rebounds, FG% (somebody had a better FG% in the playoffs). Was 5th in scoring - regular season.

Very likely lead the league in blocks both regular season and playoffs.

Would have been DPOY and FMVP.
* Weak Era
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:28 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy