Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-25-2010, 06:03 AM   #16
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

Default Re: Latest Basketball Clip

Bryon Russel, Pooh Richardson, Mark Jackson. Seen Mitch Richmond and Jalen Rose in a league I played in, but haven't played against them. There's also an ex-NBA player on my team, but nobody would know him because after getting drafted he went to Europe.
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

Ugh, sprained my other ankle 3 weeks ago and still not able to play basketball yet. These Glass-ankles are killin' me. I figured after the left ligament tear, my right one would be strong for me.... Sadly not the case. I was playing a league game, playing zone defense, and someone passed the ball to the high post. Guy went up for a jumper, and I was backpedaling and blocked the shot while backpedaling. Somehow I lost my footing and when I came down from my small jump, I guess I stepped wrong and my right ankle went "wobble-SMACK!" into the floor and rolled out. That was April 7, right in the middle of a lot of important times of basketball for me. Sure, 5 leagues a week is a lot, but I figured that I could handle it now since that's mostly the only basketball I play. When I was playing College Ball I was on the court 3-4x as often as I am now, so I figured once I was done with that, my ankles would be able to heal. Unfortunately, this has not been the case. My right one, thankfully, is nowhere near as bad as my left one was, I can see myself getting back on the court this week. Of course, I probably won't be 100% for a long time, in fact my left ankle that I hurt in October is probably only at 75% now. So now I have two semi-bum ankles! =_=

I read a couple of interesting articles online that said you should change your basketball shoes MONTHLY, and that even if you don't notice a difference, the shoe wears out on the inside. The shoes I hurt myself in (Nike Zoom BBII Low, of which I have 3 pairs) I had been using consistently for 3-4 months. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #18
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0
Bro I think I played against you before. You ever play in PacRim or Superstar Basketball? I also used to play at Alpine alot on the weekends in my high school days (I went to Marshall class of 05).

I also remember Taiwan Center usually puts out their own team in PacRim. They played pretty good against us and we had a roster with D1 guys like Ruben Boykin and Rico Tucker that season.

EDIT: just watched the video, lol that Pacrim travel squad is basically the Flava team of Pacrim.

This was the PacRim team last year (Starting at 2:27). They had Lance Convento and Alex Cabagnot switch off guarding me this game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzUW17zzE3I

And yes, Taiwan Center is very good. They have 6 guys who played legit college ball, one who played overseas in Japan. They're just too good of an overall team, 1-10. They play smart, work together, and play great defense. They are one of the top 5 Asian teams in the nation.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 AM   #19
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

I want to see you play some lanky ass black dudes tho... see how you stack up. I'm sure you play other people but I mean get a video of it cus you seem like real good player.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

Yeah, all these videos were taken by the tournament organizers. So far, only the Taiwan Center tournament has videotaped all their games. I don't really have any easy way of videotaping myself at the moment. I'm sure I will eventually, though. I love watching game videos to see things from a slightly different perspective.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #21
a rock
I airball my layups

Aye Dark, I live really close to Chatsworth.
Maybe at somepoint you could give me pointers or help with my game... I would pay you ofcourse. No problem if you aint down, but let me know if this sounds good to you...

I can't PM here, I don't get why... but if it sounds good post here or email me at sashakanji (at) gmail.com
a rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #22
Splitz77
Good High School Starter

How old are you?
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #23
a rock
I airball my layups

a rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #24
OldSchoolBBall
NBA rookie of the year

You actually have a really quick change of direction for a 6' tall dude. I didnt read your profile description, so when watching the video I assumed you were 5'7"-5'10" based on the way you moved. Decent open court speed, not a ton of hops, good vision despite some risky passes, good range and accuracy on your jumpers but not the quickest pull-up I've ever seen or anything. Decent player overall.

EDIT: Just saw that you're only 145 pounds at 6' tall -- no wonder you change directions that quickly. That's crazy thin.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #25
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
You actually have a really quick change of direction for a 6' tall dude. I didnt read your profile description, so when watching the video I assumed you were 5'7"-5'10" based on the way you moved. Decent open court speed, not a ton of hops, good vision despite some risky passes, good range and accuracy on your jumpers but not the quickest pull-up I've ever seen or anything. Decent player overall.

EDIT: Just saw that you're only 145 pounds at 6' tall -- no wonder you change directions that quickly. That's crazy thin.

Yes, hesitation to freeze defenders and changing direction are my most-used offensive attributes. I'm not really physically fast, although people think I'm fast with the ball and I definitely am agile. I placed first in all the agility workouts in college when I was playing. Passing is what I do, I have good court sense and high basketball IQ.. (I have played basketball for 19 years now, so...) A lot of the teams I play for are straight run and gun, and I have a bunch of 6'5+ wing players who run the floor with me that I used to play college ball with. I usually average like 20 & 12 in most of the rec leagues I play in due to having a talented team and a lot of good finishers. I do have a very high percentage jumper, but I don't shoot the ball all that much. And yes, I don't jump very high. At peak athleticism, I can dunk the ball on a good day... sad considering I'm 6'0 tall. I get up quickly, but I don't get up very high.
And yes, I'm 145 lbs and not the strongest guy around. When I was playing in college, I had decent strength for a 145 lb guy, but when it comes down to it, sometimes you just need that extra weight. When I go up against those Baron Davis sized point guards, defending them is a nightmare for me because they can be physical and force their way where they want to go. My max front squat was 225, and my max power clean was 187 lbs. But that strength requires some motion and effort, whereas when you have extra weight you can just be big and not have to put that effort in. When in college, they had me on 3 protein shakes a day, lifting 4-5 days per week and I simply don't gain. I blame it on my Chinese metabolism. =D
But now that I'm out and done, I don't mind being skinny. In fact, I'd rather be skinny now and stay skinny when I'm 50, rather than be buff, get lazy, and have the muscle turn to fat at 50.
I'm playing in 6 leagues a week right now. That's a lot of basketball, but it's what I love to do! =D

Last edited by DarkSephiroth : 07-07-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #26
OldSchoolBBall
NBA rookie of the year

I'm not knocking your weight -- you look healthy, and it is what it is. I'm just trying to imagine what type of quickness being just 145 pounds at 6' would enable one to have. Iverson was 5'11"-6' and like 160-165, which was a big reason he was so incredibly agile. You're even less than he was. Even myself, in my younger days my change of direction was lightning, and I was 6'1"/185-205 (I'm very broad and have high muscle/bone density; I had a six pack at 190, to give an idea of body fat %); I can't imagine how much quicker I would have been with 40-60 pounds off me.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #27
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
I'm not knocking your weight -- you look healthy, and it is what it is. I'm just trying to imagine what type of quickness being just 145 pounds at 6' would enable one to have. Iverson was 5'11"-6' and like 160-165, which was a big reason he was so incredibly agile. You're even less than he was. Even myself, in my younger days my change of direction was lightning, and I was 6'1"/185-205 (I'm very broad and have high muscle/bone density; I had a six pack at 190, to give an idea of body fat %); I can't imagine how much quicker I would have been with 40-60 pounds off me.

Well with that logic you could be 100 pounds and be quicker than anybody... that just isn't the case. There is a point where your muscle will start to hinder you from moving laterally as quick because your body starts getting tighter. He could easily put on 10-15 pounds of pure muscle though and probably be quicker (especially if most of that muscle is in his legs). At 6'0, he should be able to handle 160-165 pounds very well... maybe as much as 175 with his frame (doubt much more than that tho). I would have him work on hypertrophy for the next 3 or 4 months to put on that muscle and then cut back to simply maintain. That would mean multiple leg exercises on one day, and then resting for a week.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
Kobe vs Lebron
Can barely lace up my sneakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CE1kwXREI
Kobe vs Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: