Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Euroball5 has an OK reputation so far
Default playing college basketball for a european

It would be a dream of mine to play basketball in college in the states. Is it possible if yes what would i have to do ?(other than play well)

I'm only 14 ATM just wondering for later.
Euroball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: playing college basketball for a european

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroball5
It would be a dream of mine to play basketball in college in the states. Is it possible if yes what would i have to do ?(other than play well)

I'm only 14 ATM just wondering for later.

Simple answer IMO would be to get noticed. Other than that, your coaches network of collegiate coaches will help as well as sending prospective colleges your highlight tape. Also, I feel players should strive to play in the level they are best suited, i.e., Division I, II, III.

Be realisitic and do your research, if you feel you can hang with the big boys by the time you are a senior, shoot for DI, DII is no slouch in the basketball area either. Find the level you can get playing time in, while everyone wants to be in the higher level, for me it would be boring to be a practice dummy and sit the bench during games.

I persoanlly played DIII for a month before studies became the focus and I quit the team. I regret it now, but I feel that was the level I could play at and actually get playing time.

Lastly, don't forget about the studies, find a college that has the area of education you want as well.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Euroball5
I brick open layups

How i early should i start sending stuff to colleges (i heard sophomore year) cause i don't think they'll be recruiting kids in europe.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
How i early should i start sending stuff to colleges (i heard sophomore year) cause i don't think they'll be recruiting kids in europe.

Personally I don't know, but I would say junior year at latest. Remember, you are going for an education first, so do the research on what schools interest you.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Ok I'll post another thread in 2 years time (sophomore year).Till then I'm going to work as hard as i can I'm aiming for a big DI school (i think it's in my potential if i work hard.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
ElBronco
All that I can borrow

ElBronco has an OK reputation so far

Good luck, if that is your focus, then I'b bet you can make it.
ElBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

O.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryO.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Ok I'll post another thread in 2 years time (sophomore year).Till then I'm going to work as hard as i can I'm aiming for a big DI school (i think it's in my potential if i work hard.

now that's what i am talking about. This kid is halfway there first it is all mental. 14 isn't too young. This is where you have to start developing your actually on the court game. This is why so many NBA players kids are top players in their HS class, because they feel obligated to work on their game and are always around the game of basketball. Even start trying to increase vert and speed.

There is no better example of this than my OJ 6'4Mamba name. Guy was 13 year old in junior high playing against 17-19 teenagers on Varsity and scoring 23 points a game on them. And he was only 6'1. Mayo spent all his time on the court working on his game, he just didn't wake up being so good that's the misconception people have.I'll try to find this article on him later, back when he was your age.

My key advice:

Watch film of NBA players and yourself. Look at what the top guys that play like you do, and also watch yourself to see what you can do to improve trust me it helps. Even watching yourself shoot around you can pick up or so many things. Like How do my misses look like? Where do I miss? Is it normally too short or too long. How does my form look when i miss? How does my form look when i make? how much legs did i use? really break down both shoot around and gameeplay. I have gotten to the point where i can tell just by how i use my legs and form on film whether i make the shot or not before the shot goes in.

Practice working on your fundamentals/game: it helps if you have a partner or friend with you to keep you going at a good pace, but it is ok if you don't. Dedicate 1.5-2hours after school or before school ( if your a real gym rat) on working on shooting, dribbling, passing situation, pick and roll situation, driving, keeping your head up, condition, north to south speed, defense etc.

Then if your on a team try to emphasis one thing during that practice, pickup game, open gym. Could be moving without the ball, cutting, running the wings on breaks. If your in your off season i recommend a few pickup games every few days. In pick up you pick up a lot of bad habits, so limit pick up, but when you do play emphasize something.

Then off the court. Plyos to start now, weight training start of high school. Be as strong, fast, explosive as you can be. You are young and play a lot so you have a high metabolism so you don't really need to worry about nutrition until you start weight lifting in high school. hoped this helped, but i can tell you have the potential to be a great player without even watching you play. You have the "wants" to improve and be the best you can be especially at such a young age, most people i know didn't start until they were 17 and wanted to play college ball out of the bllew, but your will is more deadly as a basketball player than having a 6'7 body and a 37 inch vertical to go with it.

one more thing

Distractions- Not essential, but when your 15 and in HS. You need to limit distractions like hanging out with friends. Chillen with girls on weekdays. ( trust me when your a big time D1 player, they flock to you make up for the times you had to cut them out). Not saying dont hang out with your peeps, but you should be exhausted especially on the weekend from practicing and school work

Last edited by O.J A 6'4Mamba : 02-26-2010 at 02:02 PM.
O.J A 6'4Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

O.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryO.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

More Points:

Always be happy with things you can't control like height. If you only end up being 5'9 great learn to adapt, if you end up being a 6'4 combo guard great also. Too many times i hear guys saying if i was that tall ill be able to throw it down.

Gain confidence if, that means beating on scrubs then do so.

Be a team player in open gyms and pick up games. Look for your teammates, and do the little things righ like passing to the post and relocating or doing baseline cut, running wings well, cuts, don't be a ball hog 1 on 1 iso player you know what your capable of in terms of being the takeover, so there is no need to takeover pick up games. Then get your shine on in actually games.

If you do all this and the stuff in the first post. You won't just play D-1 Ball in the states for a big time program like Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, but you will dominate it ala Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Derrick Rose, and OJ Mayo. Remember that if you do your plyos right now, and actually work on your game for 2 hours a day. Your working harder that 99% of ball players your age. the 1% class that your in are the 14-15 year old OJ Mayo's of the world. Everyone wants to be the best, but nobody wants to work at it.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Wow thanks a lot for the advice man, great read, motivates me to practice even harder.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Euroball5
I brick open layups

Could you send me that article about oj mayo?I want to read it.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

Quote:
Could you send me that article about oj mayo?I want to read it.

yeah ill look for it. it was made like in 04' it was one of my favorite reads i believe it was a sports illustrated article h/o on let me look for it right now check back in an hour i should have it by then i am doing a few things right now

Last edited by O.J A 6'4Mamba : 02-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

i can't find the exact article. but if i eventually stumble upon it ill link you to it. here is an article though where Mayo says

Quote:
"Dwaine came in when I was 9, recognized my ability and was the only one who thought we could make it," says Mayo. "He took us under his wing. When everyone was outside playing, me and Bill were in the gym for four or five hours a day when we were 9 or 10 years old."

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool...ory?id=4030775

That goes back to the old saying everyone wants to be the best, but nobody wants to work at it.

Also too many time i see youngster go to the gym with no purpose. They go shoot around, laugh with friends, maybe have a halfcourt game, play knockout or do random dribbling drills in between shots, maybe run a pick up game. practice bad habits like not getting back on defense, not moving on offense, too much iso etc etc.

Develope a plan. Know what your going to be working on before you get to the gym. Have your first 5-10 minutes just shooting around loosen up. and running laps. spend 20 minutes on ball handling drills. Then ball handling moves, to layups, shooting drills, bank shots from various distances and angles in transition also, free throws, 3 pointers, post game, triple threat, moving without the ball ( conditioning) etc etc. Work on all aspects of the game, but concentrate more on shooting and putting the ball in the rim. My friend once told me when we played one on one back in the day. " How do you want it" meaning he could score anyway back to the basketball, facing up, driving, pull up. That's how you need to be have no weakness in your game. Don't be that guy where when the D plays zone your taken out the game because you can't shoot or when the D presses you become a turnover machine.

How's your vert training coming by the way.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 AM   #13
Euroball5
I brick open layups

I stopped because it was just too much too soon with restarting practice (coming back from a wrist injury) but I'll probably start again next week.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: