Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #16
24/7
Great young streetballer
 
24/7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 233
Default

No
24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #17
Younggrease
Banned
 
Younggrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
what a lame recovery. why do people who argue online spew utter nonsense when they know they have been beaten in an argument? is it a defense mechanism? or the fact that they know they have nothing to lose so they will say it anyway? sounds like a liberal.


you say "dissent" is key to a democracy.

dissent is what is causing problems in Darfur right now, one of the main issues your precious liberals care so much about.

dissent is what caused the Rwanda massacre.

dissent is what caused the French Revolution.

dissent from spheres of influence is what gutted China from the inside out.

dissent ruins nations. the original ideal of democracy in Athens is that citizens meet and peacefully discuss what is wrong in their society and how to solve it in committee. not "dissent" and strangle each other.


next time you want to engage in a political debate, you may want to look up in a dictionary what certain words mean, much less actually learn about precedent.

You are not getting the point. I never said dissent is "key" to democracy. I said it is "important". There is a difference. You are turning this into a big argument while putting words in my mouth. look at my post,

Im not going to argue with you over each individual point right now because im busy, but since poly sci is one of my majors i wouldnt mind maybe doing it later. But the reason you are wrong is because you dont understand the difference between the 2 words used. You are putting words in my mouth.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #18
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm
Very large generalization there. The people dissenting would be the black muslims in Darfur who didn't want to be neglected by Sudan's government, or (even worse) be subject to Sharia Law. Do you even understand what is happening in Darfur?



It also caused the American revolution.



you're going off on a tangent here.


bottom line:

do you agree "dissent" is key/important to a successful democracy?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #19
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
You are not getting the point. I never said dissent is "key" to democracy. I said it is "important". There is a difference. You are turning this into a big argument while putting words in my mouth. look at my post,

Im not going to argue with you over each individual point right now because im busy, but since poly sci is one of my majors i wouldnt mind maybe doing it later. But the reason you are wrong is because you dont understand the difference between the 2 words used. You are putting words in my mouth.



don't bandy semantics. in the real world, people would be careful to choose their words more properly. it's all about PR my friend.


anyway, i didnt mean to ambush you all of a sudden. sorry dude. it's just a lot of people on my campus complain incessantly and they sacrifice their jobs, their grades, and their futures to follow some foolish crusade which will never come to pass.

and I don't mean to imply you are one of those.



anyway, I think Colbert is pretty brave for saying that stuff.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #20
Younggrease
Banned
 
Younggrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
you're going off on a tangent here.


bottom line:

do you agree "dissent" is key/important to a successful democracy?

you cant say "key/important" because key = most important while one can say "important" and mean one of many different things that contribute.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #21
Younggrease
Banned
 
Younggrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
don't bandy semantics. in the real world, people would be careful to choose their words more properly. it's all about PR my friend.


Sorry you dont seem to know much about the political history.

Do you have a prob with the French REvolution????Was it wrong???

The American REvolution????

Democracy isnt perfect but without dissent it fails, why do you think flag burning is legal(even was voted so a noted war veteran on the Supreme Court). It fails without debate as well.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #22
pgm
I hit open layups
 
pgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
you're going off on a tangent here.


bottom line:

do you agree "dissent" is key/important to a successful democracy?

It depends on how much dessent. I don't want a rebellion, but I do want (as the British put it) a "loyal opposition".
pgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #23
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos
 
xxxSuperStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix via Chicago
Posts: 1,265
Default

That was the White House correspondent's dinner. The Bush people actually hired Colbert to do that performance. Bush is pretty good about making fun of himself and people making fun of him.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #24
24/7
Great young streetballer
 
24/7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar
That was the White House correspondent's dinner. The Bush people actually hired Colbert to do that performance. Bush is pretty good about making fun of himself and people making fun of him.

Yeah he doesn't seem to really give a phuck what people think of him. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but its the exact opposite of Clinton's enormous but fragile ego.
24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:48 PM   #25
embersyc
Lurker
 
embersyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,138
Default

If it weren't for dissent black people and women would still be second class citizens with few rights.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #26
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,765
Default

Quote:
dissent is what is causing problems in Darfur right now,
thats a really bull**** thing to say.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #27
24/7
Great young streetballer
 
24/7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
If it weren't for dissent black people and women would still be second class citizens with few rights.

They still are....in Africa.
24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #28
Zombles
Local High School Star
 
Zombles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
If it weren't for dissent black people and women would still be second class citizens with few rights.


woah, woah, woah buddy.

Don't try and bring logic into a discussion of American politics.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #29
pgm
I hit open layups
 
pgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 115
Default

Did anyone mention how old this is, btw?
pgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #30
reppy
Apparently likes anime
 
reppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,174
Default

Somehow, VC makes the connection between dissent and massacre.

dis‧sent  /dɪˈsɛnt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-sent] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used without object)
1. to differ in sentiment or opinion, esp. from the majority; withhold assent; disagree (often fol. by from): Two of the justices dissented from the majority decision.
2. to disagree with the methods, goals, etc., of a political party or government; take an opposing view.
3. to disagree with or reject the doctrines or authority of an established church.
–noun
4. difference of sentiment or opinion.
5. dissenting opinion.
6. disagreement with the philosophy, methods, goals, etc., of a political party or government.
7. separation from an established church, esp. the Church of England; nonconformity.

If you're going to blame "dissent" for massacres, might as well blame water. Might as well blame oxygen. Little known fact: Hitler drank water. Coincidence? I don't think so!

And hell, if there was some dissent in Germany, maybe World War II never would have happened.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy