Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default How to turn this team around?

What are your ideas for improving this team?

The Nets do have something positive to build on, and that's getting Brook Lopez at 10th in the draft. How many centers out there are capable of averaging 19/9/2/2 on 52% shooting(82% from the line)? How many of them are 21? Nevermind that, how many players in the league are not only great low post players, but shot blockers as well? And he should be able to get better.

Harris has been good enough in the past that he could be a fairly valuable trade asset. Personally I've never been a particularly big fan of his, though. He's been banged up(possibly due to his aggressive style of playand his jumpshot is suspect(though he was a pretty good mid-range shooter last season). I think his great season last year had something to do with Vince Carter's presence. I certainly wouldn't trade Harris for nothing, but if the Nets don't get John Wall and a team offered a solid young durable point guard with a 3 point shot, it'd be a good deal. Granted, if Harris can stay healthy he'd be a good starting PG himself.

Yi is also quite frusturating, he has potential, but he hasn't proven to be durable and he's extremely inconsistent. I wouldn't put much faith in a 25 year old power forward who shoots under 40%.

CDR and Courtney Lee are solid enough young shooting guards for now, but if one of them starts on the team next season then there certainly needs to be an upgrade at the SF position because that type of talent ont he wing isn't going to get it done.

The draft could really help because even if they don't get John Wall, there's a good chance they'd have a pick of either Demarcus Cousins or Derrick Favors to strengthen the frontcourt next to Lopez or Evan Turner to help the team on the perimeter.

As far as free agency? Obviously Lebron would be the best, but he'd be a long shot. I don't see Wade coming to Jersey either and he'll also be 29 next season plus he's injury prone and will likely demand a huge contract that takes him into his decline years. Joe Johnson would be a good player to add, but I have a feeling he's going to be overpaid this offseason. Bosh would be perfect because even though he'll get paid a lot, he's worth it. Unfortunately I haven't heard him mentioned as much of a possibility in Jersey, but you never know. Stoudemire would give the team a great big man duo on paper, even though it's questionable how well he'd play with Lopez and how well he'll age.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How to turn this team around?

nice post, mon. my take on this (the medium-length version)-

the nets have one legit NBA starter right now, ten picks over the next three years, oodles of cap room, very little enticement to star FA's, the richest owner in sports buying in, and a new venue that probably won't reach it's full profitability or attractiveness to the public and FA's for at least another five years.

in other words, everything is likely to change. a lot. so in less than two years, it's quite possible that not a single player from today's roster will still be with the nets. lopez is certainly the one guy i expect us to hold onto, but you never know in today's NBA. or to the point, tomorrow's NBA.

one thing we do know that's coming is a major impasse between the league and the player's union in 2011. unless the economy and/or one side's attitude changes, which i find unlikely, there is going to be a lockout. and then, who knows...? maybe even replacement players. the world talent pool in basketball is spectacular, so i certainly wouldn't rule it out. so tying these facts back to the nets, it once again suggests the possibility of major change, but from a slightly different angle.

long story short, IMO it's going to take patience being a nets fan. all kinds of new faces and all kinds of progress are coming, but it's going to be incremental. we need to be happy with that or risk burning out (hello, recspecs).
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
Chuck Thou NBA
That's Turr'ble

Chuck Thou NBA has decent reputationChuck Thou NBA has decent reputation

Y'all need to bring back Kerry Kittles and/or Kendall Gill.

It's the only way.
Chuck Thou NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

we have to wait and see what happens on draft day. Then things will be more clear.

In FA, i think realistically we should make a push for Rudy Gay and David Lee

PG - Harris or Wall
SG - C.LEE/CDR
SF - Rudy Gay / TWill
PF - David Lee /Yi
C - Lopez
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Personally I think we should build around mental toughness and a strong winning attitude. I think after all the losing we've suffered this year these young guys have adopted a losing spirit and way of thinking..and it's shown in our inability to keep leads and troubles to close out games..

We need a re-hauling of not only personnel, but of attitude. Too many lowered heads, shoulder slumping, and not enough fire from these guys. Maybe they feel the season's over and kicked in, but I'm not liking what I see.

If we bring in players this summer, lets also bring in some veteran presence. Guys who've won in the past and willing to lead to be a locker room leader. We have 0 right now. If we end up going for youth as our max guys (Lee, Gay, Amare, Boozer) then I want to see us also bring in smaller-contract veterans like:

Raja Bell
Marcus Camby (though we probably wont have enough to sign him)
Brad Miller
Mike Miller
Udonis Haslem
Nazr Muhommad
Etan Thomas

Just so we can have tough, never quit attitude guys who will shapen and alter the mindset of these young guys so we can get back to winning and get back to where we were not too long ago.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I agree that the players have adopted a losing attitude and that's hard to break. I mean as far as talent? The Nets shouldn't be anywhere near this bad, and that points to what you're saying, Wang4Three.

And I agree, Gigantes that Lopez is the only guy on the team I'd consider a legit starter moving forward. IMO, Lopez is legit, though. He's very valuable and from what I've seen he should continue to improve. I mean, centers usually don't peak until 27-28 and he's improved noticeably every year since his freshman year of college. He has the ability to do just about every thing you'd want a center to do.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i've been watching some games on replay lately to study certain players. is there a lopez game in particular that you'd recommend checking out?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Keepin it REAL
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Keepin it REAL has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Thou NBA
Y'all need to bring back Kerry Kittles and/or Kendall Gill.

It's the only way.

Keepin it REAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Not sure of any particular games Brook has had that stand out above the rest, he's pretty consistent.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

Pick 1 or 2 you take wall or motiejunas- pick 3 or 4 package w devin harris, c lee, and whatever else it takes for cris paul- might even have to blow up the cap and take peja and/or posey
-------
If no lebron than I say use the capspace in a trade or get randy foye, travis outlaw, and a decent price on someone like brad miller
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

I wonder what Brook's ceiling is.

20 years old 13 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 1 apg, 1.8 bpg, 53.1 FG%, 79.3 FT%, 1.8 TO, 30.5 mpg
21 years old 19 ppg, 9 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.9 bpg, 51 FG%, 81.4 FT%, 2.5 TO, 37 mpg

As a starter, he was already averaging 13.8 ppg, 8.4 rpg and 1.9 bpg on 53.8% shooting in 31.7 mpg. He hasn't really improved much as a defender/rebounder, his scoring and assists have gone up a lot, but that's to be expected when you go from the 1st option to the 3rd option and you play more minutes. In fairness, with the added focus of the other team's defense on him, his efficiency hasn't really dropped much even with the heavier offensive load.

But he already has a polished game, however it's tough to imagine him not getting better after just his 2nd season at only 21 years old. But how much better do you think he can get? Will he be a consistent 20/10 guy for years? Will he keep up this production in more meaningful games? It'll be fun to see how his career develops.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
I wonder what Brook's ceiling is.

20 years old 13 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 1 apg, 1.8 bpg, 53.1 FG%, 79.3 FT%, 1.8 TO, 30.5 mpg
21 years old 19 ppg, 9 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.9 bpg, 51 FG%, 81.4 FT%, 2.5 TO, 37 mpg

As a starter, he was already averaging 13.8 ppg, 8.4 rpg and 1.9 bpg on 53.8% shooting in 31.7 mpg. He hasn't really improved much as a defender/rebounder, his scoring and assists have gone up a lot, but that's to be expected when you go from the 1st option to the 3rd option and you play more minutes. In fairness, with the added focus of the other team's defense on him, his efficiency hasn't really dropped much even with the heavier offensive load.

But he already has a polished game, however it's tough to imagine him not getting better after just his 2nd season at only 21 years old. But how much better do you think he can get? Will he be a consistent 20/10 guy for years? Will he keep up this production in more meaningful games? It'll be fun to see how his career develops.

I'll tell you. Brook Lopez will be a top 3 center. If he can work more on his athleticsm and get quicker, the only competition he will have is Dwight Howard. He will be the greatest Center in Nets history.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

Trade Yi for David Lee. ^^
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

This is how it goes down. The Nets are going to have to get their leaders into an office once the lottery is over and decide what they're going to do. They have the following players to discuss:

Devin Harris
Keyon Dooling
Kris Humprhies
Yi Jianlian
Brook Lopez
Terrence Williams
Josh Boone
Courtney Lee
Chris Douglas-Roberts

They have them, plus 2 first round picks. Depending on how the ping balls bounce, the conversation they have will be very different. Not only that, but I think that if they get the 1st pick and John Wall, I think they do just about anything in their power to get another high pick to take either DeMarcus Cousins or Derrick Favors. That will probably involved trading Devin Harris, Yi, Dallas's pick, and a good amount of Prokhorov's money. At that point, going into free agency, this is their lineup:

John Wall/Keyon Dooling
Courtney Lee/Chris Douglas Roberts
Terrence Williams
DeMarcus Cousins/Kris Humphries
Brook Lopez

Then, they find a high profile coach. That high profile coach gets on a plane with John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Brook Lopez, Rod Thorn, Jay-Z and Mikhail Prokhorov get on a plane to Cleveland and make LeBron want to be a member of the Nets. By any means necessary. Then you stick LeBron James smack dab in the middle of that lineup listed above and make Terrence Williams your 6th man.

Still a pipe dream I know, but if they can get Wall at least, and go make a big pitch to LeBron, with Jay-Z there, and Prokhorov with is endless amount of money, I wouldn't put it past LeBron.
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
gigantes
A piece of fluff

i still don't see the lebron thing happening. nor wade, nor bosh. the nets have some positives and a nice future, but it's a future. it's not next season, or even the season after. because i think any of these ultra-competitive superstars are going to want to win now, not at some speculative date in the future.

no way do i see lebron wanting to leave an elite team for a less elite team, nevermind a young team coming off one of the worst seasons in history. with wade, even moreso since he's sick and tired of being a one-man show for a mediocre team with his prime years being wasted.

i say the nets are like a fine wine. their flavor will be excellent one day, but they will need time to mature.

OTOH, stoudemire has seemed like a possible for a while now. i think he changes his mind every few days, but at least he's the one guy who's actually shown interest in playing for the nets. of course, with him playing so well at the end of the season, that may change his plans yet again.

meanwhile, i can't help noticing that as t-will's stock goes up, CDR's seems to keep falling. he's already been called a cancer (essentially) by team officials, and now fans and even writers at ND have been pointing out the way the team has been playing better without him. not to mention, pointing out the many holes in his game.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: