Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Shoo
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Shoo has an OK reputation so far
Default Can playing at too high of a level be bad for you?

I'm not good at basketball. Let's put it at that. I didn't start playing regularly until two summers ago. Then I took the whole winter off. Then I started playing again this past summer.

I used to play with friends. They were mostly better than me, but not so much better that I was useless.

This winter, I've been playing with another group of people that are way above and beyond my level. I feel pretty useless and my pride was shot. I felt like on defense, they would let me get my shot off and I'd still miss. I felt like my teammates secretly wished I wasn't on their team because my team would pretty much lose every single game.

I was about to give up.

But then I played one more game with them, and this time a NEW guy came out. Except he was WORSE than me. He had a better shot, but he couldn't catch the ball, he turned the ball over, he couldn't rebound, and had no defense. We were matched up, and I was able to play some solid defense against him and score points.

Once I return to playing basketball with my regular group of friends this spring, we'll see if I actually got better from playing with a higher level of competition...

..but that feeling that you are the worst player on the court by far... Is not a good one, especially when you've been practicing everyday by yourself.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Can playing at too high of a level be bad for you?

Well most of us are "role" players in that we need others to help us reach our full potential. One of the main things about playing is knowing the game tho. Knowing where to go when people drive, setting screens and either popping out or rolling, cutting to the basket at the right time... and then of course just straight hustle. When you aren't that great of a player you have to make up for it by hustling. If people see that you are trying, then they won't be too frustrated, and more importantly you will feel better knowing you at least hustled your ass off. I know for me when I have a ball handler on my team who can drive and dish then my play goes up exponentially and they love playing with me (as I do with them) because I am always in the right place and play off them really well. I hustle my butt off when I get those guys on my team because I know if I do we are most likely going to win. Just get after it though man and continue to work on your game. Don't be afraid to try some things. Maybe they don't work, but don't get discouraged just keep practicing and eventually it will come naturally.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

DarkSephiroth has an OK reputation so far

Only if you are mentally weak. Otherwise, use it to get better.
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
tgan3
Local High School Star

tgan3 has decent reputation

i use it to get better, in fact im getting pretty bored playing with weak competition in my court lol.
tgan3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
ferrdoggsmd
Can barely lace up my sneakers

ferrdoggsmd has an OK reputation so far

There's positives and negatives, as long as you are getting to play it should be better for you physically, just work on the mental part.
ferrdoggsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
1manfastbreak
B A Y A R E A , C A

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

if you are serious about your game and ever want to get better, you need to work on your game on your own. i'm pretty sure everyone who has ever played basketball has been in your position. it sucks..but just try to use that to motivate yourself to get better.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

well today I some what felt that way. I was playing 3 on 3 and was winning every game and I was the star on that court. Then someone picked me up to play full court. These guys were on a whole new level and I was feeling pretty tired. One of the players on the other team was like you suck, you suck, how did you make the team. So I ended up missing my first few shots and decided not to take anymore. Our team ended up winning but I felt like a non factor other than the fact I completely locked down the guy that was talking sht a few times. I need to get my mental toughness up.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

playing with people way better than you helps you recognize what kind of level you need to get your game up to along with your intensity. It won't make you much better if you overdo it, but it's a good way to benchmark your skills. I understand when I get matched up with someone whos just bigger, better, stronger, faster than me whichever it is. Thing is, I always play with very good teammates, at or above my level. So I know how to play off them to score and do what I need to contribute to a W. It's more competitive when I play with the big boys of our rec center, but it doesn't improve me much. It teaches me a lot of things mentally and focus wise though that playing with my other friends don't. Now when I play in all my asian leagues, and my other friends that I started playing the game with, I completely dominate them all, which is pretty boring. But I didn't improve my skills by playing with good comp/bad comp, I improved by working on my game by myself. Shooting hundreds of jump shots from every which way. Dribble side step pull up, step back pull up, up and under, turn around, fadeaway, in rhythm off a pass, off my own dribble, 1-2 step, jumpstop. you have to be able to shoot and finish from many angles to be effective. Sometimes you won't be able to shoot in your defenders face off your own dribble, but you may get some good screens and catch and shoots (yes they are 2 very different shots).
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

You get better and you get in shape when you play with better players. However, if they are waaaay out of your leauge, running circles around you and shiet then you may want to consider stepping it down.

OR

Shoot less, pass more, practice on your own.

-I would go with the second option personally.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

This may be just me but whenever i start playing with a new group of kids i usually start out just grabbing boards and setting screens until i realize that these kids arent really that much better than me, or i find out how each guy likes to play. Then i start to take more shots nd drive a little more to try and help my team win.
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Sticks has an OK reputation so far

Like it's been said before, it depends on how much they are out of your league. If you're a playgrounder and they're D1 ballers then it won't be a good idea. People will not want to play with you and they'll tend to ignore you.

If they are at a level you can see yourself get to via hard work then go for it. Especially if you're willing to put in extra hours of work it will pay off and you will become a better player from it.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: