Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
High Roller
I hit open 5-footers

Default Help needed!

I'm 17 years old next month and in my final year of high school. I'm 6'1 now, and up until the end of last year, I was morbidly obese - probably around 115 Kilograms. I'm now at 91kg - still overweight but improving, and recently getting my love/passion back for the game.

Because of my lack of excercise when I was obese combined with asthma, my stamina is pretty disgusting. I'm starting out of position at SF due to my height (I'm pretty much a pure PG) for my high school team though, and averaging 10 PPG 7 APG 4 RPG 1 SPG 1 BPG.

On a good day after warming up, I can get just under half of my middle finger above the ring from a running jump, which is pretty pathetic I know. A few questions here for ISH:

How can I improve my stamina? Any methods besides continuous running?

How can I improve my vertical?

Can someone estimate my vertical? 6'1 with the same wingspan and half of my middle finger above the ring.

Thanks for anyone who can help me out here :)
High Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Default Re: Help needed!

Concerning your Stamina: Suicides, running miles helps your running stamina but I'm a firm believer of game stamina. Running suicides both helps endurance but also helps you turn quicker and go faster from 0-sprint.

Your jumping, there are many threads out here how to improve it. Your current reach would be about 245cm, with the basket at 305 and you getting about 5 cm above it your vert would be about 65cm or 25.6 inch.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Well one thing is to lose more weight and that starts with diet.

I would guesstimate your reach is 7-9 or 7-10 then with the same wingspan (although high set shoulders can make one's reach higher... and low set shoulders/long neck can make one's reach lower) and your vert would be about 28-30 inches. Not bad for a guy who needs to lose 10-15 KG.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
High Roller
I hit open 5-footers

Thanks for the help guys, will take on board.

@Swaggin916 - I guess I should clarify that I'm still muscular to a degree, and I think that 10-15 is probably too much. I'm thinking more along the lines of 5-8.

Also, when I jump off 2 feet or my right foot, it's no where near as high as I do when I leap off my left. Is there any way to focus more on the two foot jump in particular?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Roller
Thanks for the help guys, will take on board.

@Swaggin916 - I guess I should clarify that I'm still muscular to a degree, and I think that 10-15 is probably too much. I'm thinking more along the lines of 5-8.

Also, when I jump off 2 feet or my right foot, it's no where near as high as I do when I leap off my left. Is there any way to focus more on the two foot jump in particular?

You need to improve leg strength. If you do squats for few months (heavy squats) then your strength will overcome your natural reactive ability and you will become a 2 foot jumper. I've said this before, unless you have that natural bounce that is improved with simple plyometrics, then if you ever want to jump high you have to develop insane leg strength. My 1 leg jump hasn't got any higher since my freshman year in High School, but my 2 leg standing vertical jump went from 21 inches as a freshman to 29 as a senior. A little bit of that was getting older, but it was mostly because of going from a 150 pound squat to a 340 pound squat. If I had of known what I know now, I would have taken it more seriously and tried to get to over 400. I probably would have had a 34-35 inch standing vertical or so if I could have gotten to 420 lbs (about 200KG) at the same weight I was at when I got 340. Once my knee gets better I'm going to shoot for 500 pounds. You don't have to do anything else, just be able to squat out of this world, maintain a low body fat and decent weight, and you will be able to jump out of the gym. There are other ways to get your vert up, but I personally didn't have a good experience doing them... too many injuries. When just doing heavy lifting, I never injured myself.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 03-14-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Lancerballer21

Try jumping rope. It'll work on both of those at the same time.
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
Try jumping rope. It'll work on both of those at the same time.

Jumping rope is an endurance exercise... it's not meant for increasing vertical jump.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Lancerballer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Jumping rope is an endurance exercise... it's not meant for increasing vertical jump.

Yea but itll help your jumping stamina so that you can dunk in a game when your tired, which is really when everyone wants to dunk. I agree that he needs to be lifting weights, i was just saying that he could also jump rope. Sorry i didn't make that clear in my first post.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
Yea but itll help your jumping stamina so that you can dunk in a game when your tired, which is really when everyone wants to dunk. I agree that he needs to be lifting weights, i was just saying that he could also jump rope. Sorry i didn't make that clear in my first post.

It's not going to help him dunk when he's tired either... especially considering he can't even dunk in the first place. What jumping rope does is improve your stamina on little jumps... unless you are jumping high while doing it... but you might as well just jump without the rope if you are going to do that. You improve your vertical by doing explosive exercises because jumping is a very explosive movement. The last thing you want to do is stamina enhancing exercises because those build slow twitch muscle fibers which are counter productive to explosive movements. Go ahead and measure a marathon runners vert compared to a world class sprinter... it won't even be close. Trust me man... I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 03-17-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks
Concerning your Stamina: Suicides, running miles helps your running stamina but I'm a firm believer of game stamina. Running suicides both helps endurance but also helps you turn quicker and go faster from 0-sprint.

Your jumping, there are many threads out here how to improve it. Your current reach would be about 245cm, with the basket at 305 and you getting about 5 cm above it your vert would be about 65cm or 25.6 inch.

Can you help me calculate my vert? My reach is about 84 inches and I can just barely tap the rubber under the backboard (maybe 6 inches below the rim?). The reason I'm asking is because I measure my vert about 2 months ago and it was about 24" and I measured yesterday and it was 17"
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
nba11913
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Sorry for posting on this thread but for some reason i cant post new threads =[.
If im airballing the ball frequently does that mean my hand position is incorrect? I have enough strength to make the distance but i still airball, any ideas?
nba11913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
Lancerballer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
It's not going to help him dunk when he's tired either... especially considering he can't even dunk in the first place. What jumping rope does is improve your stamina on little jumps... unless you are jumping high while doing it... but you might as well just jump without the rope if you are going to do that. You improve your vertical by doing explosive exercises because jumping is a very explosive movement. The last thing you want to do is stamina enhancing exercises because those build slow twitch muscle fibers which are counter productive to explosive movements. Go ahead and measure a marathon runners vert compared to a world class sprinter... it won't even be close. Trust me man... I know what I'm talking about.

Ok i was wrong cause u definitely know what ur talking about. I just thought that jumping rope would help both...
Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nba11913
Sorry for posting on this thread but for some reason i cant post new threads =[.
If im airballing the ball frequently does that mean my hand position is incorrect? I have enough strength to make the distance but i still airball, any ideas?

It means you have a lot of issues. If you are frequently airballing, you need to examine everything you are doing... and completely change it

I had a friend who was in the same boat... He hadn't played basketball in a while and he used have a streaky shot when he was younger but he wouldn't catch air more than your average person. He would push the ball tho since he was small... he grew about 7 inches since the last time he really played seriously and he tried overhead shots and he just never really got it down. Just shooting around he would airball 1 out of 5 or so. In games it was about 1 out of 3... So he just drove all the time and just tried to play clean up since he didn't want to shoot. His shot was so damn ugly though... maybe your shot is real ugly like that and you just don't know it.

Quote:

Ok i was wrong cause u definitely know what ur talking about. I just thought that jumping rope would help both...

That's the thing with exercising... it may seem like it makes sense and you are doing a good thing, but it's not always the case. I had to learn all this stuff tho... before I was doing Air Alert like programs and never getting results. I was tired though and it felt like I had to be helping my vert. Nope, not at all. What I was doing was completely wrong actually and counter productive. The VJB may have messed up my legs and knee (hopefully only temporarily) but it taught me the correct way to train vert. Now, I have figured out (after more research and personal experience) that one program does not fit all. I couldn't handle the load that VJB had me doing... so next time I can train again, I will be doing my own program... one that is good for me. Just try to learn all you can with this. It's not worth doing all the work and not getting the results that you want.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 03-17-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #14
High Roller
I hit open 5-footers

Swaggin916: Thanks alot man, going to start squats when I next go to gym.

Also, my Jumper is EXTREMELY streaky. Streaky like make 5 threes in a row then miss 6 straight or something. This is actually a regular occurence, and I was wondering if anybody could tell me if it's the result of anything in particular? Without meaning to brag, my form is pretty solid....
Old 03-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
SourPatchKids
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Roller
Swaggin916: Thanks alot man, going to start squats when I next go to gym.

Also, my Jumper is EXTREMELY streaky. Streaky like make 5 threes in a row then miss 6 straight or something. This is actually a regular occurence, and I was wondering if anybody could tell me if it's the result of anything in particular? Without meaning to brag, my form is pretty solid....
You make 5 threes in a row in games or just practice?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: