Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 AM   #16
Wuxia
Local High School Star

Wuxia has decent reputation

Quote:
*copy paste*

Olajuwon:
# Regular season: 21.8 points per game
# First 3 rounds playoffs: 25.6 points per game
# 17 Finals games: 27.5 points per game

David Robinson:
# Regular season: 21.9 points per game
# 100 playoff games: 20.4 points per game

Hakeem vs Robinson: 1995 Western Conference Finals
First, let’s set up the participants. David Robinson was the MVP in 1995, the league’s best player. The Spurs had the better team, and the home court advantage in the series.

Do you remember what happened?

The Rockets took the first two games in San Antonio. The Spurs came back and won the next two games in Houston. The Rockets won the next two games to take the series 4-2.

David Robinson in series: 23.8 points 11.3 rebounds 2.7 assists 1.5 steals
Hakeem Olajuwon in series: 35.3 points 12.5 rebounds 5.0 assists 4.1 blocks 1.3 steals

# Game 1: Olajuwon: 27 pts - Robinson 21 pts
# Game 2: Olajuwon: 41 pts - Robinson 32 pts
# Game 3: Olajuwon: 43 pts - Robinson 29 pts
# Game 4: Olajuwon: 20 pts - Robinson 20 pts
# Game 5: Olajuwon: 42 pts - Robinson 22 pts
# Game 6: Olajuwon: 39 pts - Robinson 19 pts

Hakeem is clearly the better... ask any franchise who they rather have, 90% would pick Hakeem.

Thats exactly my point. 95% of your entire post highlighted 6 games, while their career was so much more than that.
Wuxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:01 AM   #17
Nero
Great young streetballer

Nero has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21

i agree hakeem had a better career but david was a freak athlete...i guess a better comparison or analogy would be, David Robinson is to KG as Hakeem is to Tim Duncan. both Tim and KG are great players, KG has gotten the best of tim and tim has gotten the best of KG, but since Tim has won more and done more he comes out ahead. same was the situation with DRob vs Hakeem. Hakeem was more accomplished so he looks like the clear cut winner but the gap was not that big.

Hakeem/TD v Drob/KG may have had similar stats but different results. But what gets overlooked in these discussion is that the difference in style of play Hakeem/TD are both prototypical low post players that suck the defense in and create opportunites with the old inside/outside game. 90% of their teams offense was based on this. Drob/KG were mostly face the basket players and played farther out. They did not have the same impact that the other two did in creating open trey and driving opportunities for their teamates. Additionally, Hakeem/TD on defense, play closer to the basket protecting the cup against would-be layups. DRob/KG are more athletic roamers creating havoc in unexpected places (like taller AK's).
Whether these style differences are somewhat responsible for different successes or whether they're merely coincidental can be aruged.
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:03 AM   #18
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputationSsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default .

iam not denying that hakeem was better than DRob, iam just saying that they were closer than most people remember, mostly because they were too young to see both of them play...so in today's NBA a similar comparision would be KG vs Tim Duncan.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:05 AM   #19
SsKSpurs21

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
Hakeem/TD v Drob/KG may have had similar stats but different results. But what gets overlooked in these discussion is that the difference in style of play Hakeem/TD are both prototypical low post players that suck the defense in and create opportunites with the old inside/outside game. 90% of their teams offense was based on this. Drob/KG were mostly face the basket players and played farther out. They did not have the same impact that the other two did in creating open trey and driving opportunities for their teamates. Additionally, Hakeem/TD on defense, play closer to the basket protecting the cup against would-be layups. DRob/KG are more athletic roamers creating havoc in unexpected places (like taller AK's).
Whether these style differences are somewhat responsible for different successes or whether they're merely coincidental can be aruged.

interesting point of view. never really thought about it in that perspective...
Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 AM   #20
SsKSpurs21

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuxia
Thats exactly my point. 95% of your entire post highlighted 6 games, while their career was so much more than that.

and thats the problem...everyone ONLY focuses on that one series.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:15 AM   #21
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuxia

They had similar regular season numbers, but the thing that made Hakeem better was he excel in the playoffs, while Robinson continue his regular season trend.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:17 AM   #22
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hakeem Had some quadruple doubles...he was very effecient.

Did D robinson ever get quadruple doubles?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:22 AM   #23
Wuxia
Local High School Star

Quote:
Hakeem Had some quadruple doubles...he was very effecient.

Did D robinson ever get quadruple doubles?

If I remember right, they each had 1 quadruple double.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:23 AM   #24
Wuxia
Local High School Star

Quote:
They had similar regular season numbers, but the thing that made Hakeem better was he excel in the playoffs, while Robinson continue his regular season trend.

Thats why I ALSO give Hakeem the edge as far as GOAT.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #25
Nero
Great young streetballer

Nero has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
interesting point of view. never really thought about it in that perspective...

We could also throw a couple other players in the mix:

Style 1: Hakeem, Shaq, TD
- Hakeem has the most flair, Shaq the most power, and TD is a combo of the two, but all satisfy the same role for their team on both ends.

Style 2: Drob, CWebb, KG
- Again, these were all very similar players, althought CWebb was never the defensive force that Drob and KG were/are.

It's much more worthwhile to compare players within their groups OR the effectiveness of each style. Drob v. Hakeem or TD v. KG seem like apples and oranges to me.

A new guy playing Style 1 would be Yao. It remains to be seen how well he'll do. Some would say Dwight, but I don't think he has that kind of offensive talent. I can't really think of any new Drob/Webb/KG players.
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:29 AM   #26
Eldrunko247
Good college starter

Eldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat cool

Drob was a soft girly man. End of thread.
Eldrunko247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:57 AM   #27
asd
High school junior varsity star

asd has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldrunko247
Drob was a soft girly man. End of thread.

D.Rob will eat your babies. Yeah, that's right. Your babies.
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:26 AM   #28
EuJazz
Local High School Star

EuJazz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
We could also throw a couple other players in the mix:

Style 1: Hakeem, Shaq, TD
- Hakeem has the most flair, Shaq the most power, and TD is a combo of the two, but all satisfy the same role for their team on both ends.

Style 2: Drob, CWebb, KG
- Again, these were all very similar players, althought CWebb was never the defensive force that Drob and KG were/are.

It's much more worthwhile to compare players within their groups OR the effectiveness of each style. Drob v. Hakeem or TD v. KG seem like apples and oranges to me.

A new guy playing Style 1 would be Yao. It remains to be seen how well he'll do. Some would say Dwight, but I don't think he has that kind of offensive talent. I can't really think of any new Drob/Webb/KG players.

Please explain why Chris Webber is in the same argument as Hakeem, DRob and Shaq?
EuJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 AM   #29
Inspector Rick
Great young streetballer

Inspector Rick has an OK reputation so far

What arguement? He's talking about player styles. How they play, choice of moves, where they operate on the floor etc...
Inspector Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:44 AM   #30
EuJazz
Local High School Star

EuJazz has an OK reputation so far

Ah, it's late, for some reason I thought they were thrown in there as if you were comparing all of the players. I didn't even notice the 'style' part, I just skimmed through it. Ha...my bad bro.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm a moron. Must be bedtime. ;)
EuJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: