Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-07-2006, 04:23 AM   #31
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuxia
If I remember right, they each had 1 quadruple double.

I heard Hakeem had 4
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:35 AM   #32
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

No there's only 4:
* Nate Thurmond, October 18, 1974, Chicago vs. Atlanta; 22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, 12 blocks.
* Alvin Robertson, February 18, 1986, San Antonio vs. Phoenix; 20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals.
* Hakeem Olajuwon, March 29, 1990, Houston vs. Milwaukee; 18 points, 16 rebounds, 10 assists, 11 blocks.
* David Robinson, February 17, 1994, San Antonio vs. Detroit; 34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 blocks.

Near misses

There have been lots of notable near misses.

* Larry Bird, February 18, 1985, Boston vs. Utah; 30 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists, 9 steals.
* Alvin Robertson, March 18, 1989, San Antonio vs. Utah; 27 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 7 steals.
* Hakeem Olajuwon, March 3, 1990, Houston vs. Golden State; 29 points, 18 rebounds, 9 assists, 11 blocks.
* Lionel Simmons, November 26, 1991, Sacramento vs. Phoenix; 10 points, 14 rebounds, 10 assists, 7 blocks.
* David Robinson, January 11, 1994, San Antonio vs. Minnesota; 27 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists, 8 blocks.
* David Robinson, February 8, 1994, San Antonio vs. Washington Bullets; 31 points, 14 rebounds, 10 assists, 7 blocks.
* Clyde Drexler, November 1, 1996, Houston vs. Sacramento; 25 points, 10 rebounds, 9 assists, 10 steals.
* Chris Mullin, February 19, 1997, Golden State vs. Boston; 19 points, 12 assists, 10 rebounds, 7 steals.
* Mookie Blaylock, April 14, 1998, Atlanta vs. Philadelphia; 14 points, 8 rebounds, 11 assists, 10 steals.
* Kevin Garnett, December 14, 1999, Minnesota vs. Atlanta; 22 points, 15 rebounds, 10 assists, 7 steals.
* Mike Bibby, April 2, 2000, Vancouver vs. Dallas; 14 points, 11 rebounds, 11 assists, 7 steals.
* Shaquille O'Neal, June 8, 2001, NBA Finals, LA Lakers vs. Philadelphia; 28 points, 20 rebounds, 9 assists, 8 blocks.
* Tim Duncan, June 15, 2003, NBA Finals, San Antonio vs. New Jersey; 21 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists, 8 blocks.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:34 AM   #33
T21
I brick open layups

No way!!!
I have nothing against the Admiral, but Hakeem was far better and simply the best center of his era!
T21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #34
allball
National High School Star

man when I saw this title I damn near fell out of my chair. too stupid to respond.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #35
lakers-city
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL MAX
David Robinson was better than Hakeem because David had crappy players throughout his entire career. Hakeem was surrounded by a ton of good players like Clyde Drexler, Sam Cassell, Charles Barkley, Robert Horry, Kenny Smith, Scottie Pippen, Mario Elie and Ralph Sampson. If Robinson had all those good players like hakeem, David Robinson would have easily won 6 or 7 rings.

hahahaha !!!

ellie, horry, cassell : role players.
drexler: old and past his prime, he wasnt even there when hakeem SINGLEHANDEDLY lead houston to a championship in 1994.
charles barkley and scottie pippen: hakeem was old when he played with those players.

this was the team robinson had in 1995:

sean elliot: 3-pt making machine.
dennis rodman: rebounding king of the nba, defensive beast.

hakeem didnt have that kind of help, he had an inferior team and yet spanked robinson and his soft ass 6 ways to sunday.

hakeem was by far the better player and is not debateable and is not close either.
lakers-city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #36
lakers-city
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
*copy paste*

Olajuwon:
# Regular season: 21.8 points per game
# First 3 rounds playoffs: 25.6 points per game
# 17 Finals games: 27.5 points per game

David Robinson:
# Regular season: 21.9 points per game
# 100 playoff games: 20.4 points per game

Hakeem vs Robinson: 1995 Western Conference Finals
First, let’s set up the participants. David Robinson was the MVP in 1995, the league’s best player. The Spurs had the better team, and the home court advantage in the series.

Do you remember what happened?

The Rockets took the first two games in San Antonio. The Spurs came back and won the next two games in Houston. The Rockets won the next two games to take the series 4-2.

David Robinson in series: 23.8 points 11.3 rebounds 2.7 assists 1.5 steals
Hakeem Olajuwon in series: 35.3 points 12.5 rebounds 5.0 assists 4.1 blocks 1.3 steals

# Game 1: Olajuwon: 27 pts - Robinson 21 pts
# Game 2: Olajuwon: 41 pts - Robinson 32 pts
# Game 3: Olajuwon: 43 pts - Robinson 29 pts
# Game 4: Olajuwon: 20 pts - Robinson 20 pts
# Game 5: Olajuwon: 42 pts - Robinson 22 pts
# Game 6: Olajuwon: 39 pts - Robinson 19 pts

Hakeem is clearly the better... ask any GM who they rather have, 90% would pick Hakeem, the 10% would be fired.

post of the day.

hakeem punks the admiral, and is not even close.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #37
lakers-city
Good college starter

Quote:
Thats exactly my point. 95% of your entire post highlighted 6 games, while their career was so much more than that.

well, in his career hakeem LEAD his team to 2 championships while robinson was 2nd in command to duncan to the 2 he won, so even if you consider their entire careers it is still not close, if you dont have a finals MVP you dont deserve to be compared with hakeem.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #38
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!

at first I thought this thread was a piss take, then I read further and people actually believe it.

Damn youtube has youngins thinking they know the game back then.

DRob had NO big match temperment until TD took the heat off.

Hakeem owned Robinson on the regular

not even close
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #39
warriors23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Hakeem Had some quadruple doubles...he was very effecient.

Did D robinson ever get quadruple doubles?
drob had a 70 point game

did hakeem ever have a 70 point game
warriors23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #40
allball
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors23
drob had a 70 point game

did hakeem ever have a 70 point game

I saw that 70 point game. The Clippers were defenseless in the post and it was like the last game of the season. Instead of Robinson sitting out the second half of a meaningless game, his team force fed him every shot so he would win the scoring title. Robinson took 41 shots not counting the ones that led to free throw attempts which would have totaled to about 53 shots.

Two games before the 70 point game Hakeem held him to 6 of 24 shooting.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #41
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default some thoughts

Quote:
I'm a rational Spurs fan and I have always thought DRob was on par with Hakeem his entire career before he hurt his back and was never the same player. Offcourse everyone will remember the one series in 94 but their career was so much more than those 6 games. There is no doubt that Hakeem had a better career but its alot closer than what many people think.

this thread is a continuation of the topic from this summer where there were a number of good comments (and a bunch of knuckleheads too) :stupid:

it is amazing how similiar their career stats are-- overall and per game and 48 minutes.

check out: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...&submit=Select

statistically, hakeem just improved in the playoffs:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...submit=Compare

and was significantly better than drob in the playoffs but overall (not just in the highlights from the 95 which i do agree gets too much play in these type of discussions). david did not do badly in the playoffs, but hakeem just got stronger as compared to the regular season.

personally, i liked the young drob's style-- he had everything kg had but was even smoother and faster and was a better shotblocker. i also liked the way hakeem got better after age 30 until he hit 35; like most, drob declined with age after 30 but complimented tim d well in the championship years. he gave my sonics fits in the mid 90s

if i were a gm, knowing what we have seen overall from these two hof-ers, i would take hakeem in the draft, in his prime or for just one season- primarily because of his toughness and production when it came to the playoffs

the kg-duncan parallel to drob-hakeem somewhat works in terms of style; but kg is nowhere near what drob had done in the playoffs. also, hakeem is my choice over duncan
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #42
lakers-city
Good college starter

the worst part is that robinson isnt even the 2nd or 3rd best big man in the past 15 years.

1. hakeem
2. shaq
3. duncan
4. robinson
Old 11-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #43
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers-city
the worst part is that robinson isnt even the 2nd or 3rd best big man in the past 15 years.

1. hakeem
2. shaq
3. duncan
4. robinson
you forgot Pat Ewing, that makes Robinson number 5
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #44
herschel4heisman
I airball my layups

DRob was extremely talented but he was not as good as Hakeem. Beyond the issue of talent, Hakeem actually led his team to 2 titles while DRob needed Duncan to win. Hakeem at his best was WAY better than Robinson at his best as the 1995 playoff established.

As the Sports Guy succintly wrote:

Before this game, David Robinson was presented with his 1995 MVP award, so he gave a speech and thanked some of the centers who had won before him. Well, he didn't mention Hakeem. Big mistake. Hakeem exploded for 41 points and 16 boards, including 29 in the second half alone. For the series, Hakeem averaged 35.3 points, 12.5 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 4.1 blocks and 1.3 steals. You could even argue that Robinson's career was never quite the same. And it all started with that speech in Game 2.

If you want video evidence of this domination, here's an NBATV piece on Hakeem's domination of Robinson in the playoffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4uXlRGAF0
herschel4heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #45
eliteballer
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
you forgot Pat Ewing, that makes Robinson number 5

Ewing wishes he was as good as Robinson.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: