Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Da_Realist
College superstar

Da_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation here
Default In Jordan's defense...

I present Exhibit A
Da_Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
TheAnchorman
Luchini from the sky

TheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: In Jordan's defense...

Great vid. You forgot his Game 7 1992 NBA ECSF sequence though.
TheAnchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
CantStop
Banned

CantStop has decent reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcgHqcRaJD8

In Jordan's defense...
CantStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
chitownsfinest
Local High School Star

chitownsfinest has decent reputation

Sick vid. I would focus on Mj's man on man D a bot more then his blocks/steals though but that's just me. For example, I would include some highlights of MJ's D on Drexler in the 92 Finals like some of the 4-5 airballs he forced Drexler to shoot in that series. People may come in and say how it's easy to compile a bunch of selected highlights but all the highlights you used are from playoff games and you chose specific playoff games/series to use for your highlights.

Great work though
chitownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
AirJordan23
Local High School Star

AirJordan23 is considered somewhat coolAirJordan23 is considered somewhat coolAirJordan23 is considered somewhat cool

Brilliant video. Though, I don't think defense is an underrated or forgotten aspect of Jordan's game. I feel he got the credit he deserved by the media and coaches except for not making the all defensive team in '87. But, I feel that hada lot do with his reputation at that point. Most people on this forum also acknowledge how good he was defensively and deserving of his DPOY other than a certain individual....The way he'd disrupt offenses, hound his man, force turnovers, play fullcourt pressure defense, provide weakside defense and play smart defense.

I feel that Jordan's underrated aspects of the game are the ones that the casual fan doesn't pay much emphasis to. Such as off ball movement. He was great at moving off ball and picked his spots to perfection. He knew where to be at the right time. Especially when Pippen was the primary playmaker in the triangle, Jordan's off ball game was brilliant. And his competitiveness and hustle is also sometimes underappreciated. Jordan had the hustle of the 12th man. He'd do some of the little things that mattered the most, give it all on the court and you knew how badly he wanted to win.
AirJordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Dave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop
I don't understand how scoring like 1 basket out of those on Jordan is at all relevant.
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
catch24
phal5

catch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postercatch24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3
I don't understand how scoring like 1 basket out of those on Jordan is at all relevant.

He wants spicy anaal buttsex from Kobe
catch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
chitownsfinest
Local High School Star

chitownsfinest has decent reputation

Kind of agree with AirJordan23 on this. I think his ability to get offensive boards was amazing for a guard and is a underrated part of his game. Also his feel his passing ability and court vision is another underrated part. Not saying he was close to Magic's level or anything like that but his passing ability was amazing for a 2 guard. In game 2 of the 93 Finals, MJ makes some sick passes.
chitownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Da_Realist
College superstar

Da_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnchorman
Great vid. You forgot his Game 7 1992 NBA ECSF sequence though.

I had to leave it on the cutting room floor. I tried to find clips that weren't so overused -- or at least seen from a different angle.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Da_Realist
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsfinest
Sick vid. I would focus on Mj's man on man D a bot more then his blocks/steals though but that's just me. For example, I would include some highlights of MJ's D on Drexler in the 92 Finals like some of the 4-5 airballs he forced Drexler to shoot in that series. People may come in and say how it's easy to compile a bunch of selected highlights but all the highlights you used are from playoff games and you chose specific playoff games/series to use for your highlights.

Great work though

Very true. Originally, I wanted to do just what you suggested but a lot of times the camera didn't follow Jordan when he played good man-to-man defense and I was having some difficulty finding clips that would be obvious to the viewer so I stuck with "highlights" type defense.

It still took me 5 days to edit this video because I used so many different games to piece together. Most of the time, I had a fuzzy memory of what happened and what game it happened in, so I had to speed-watch tons of games to find the right clips.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
Da_Realist
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJordan23
Brilliant video. Though, I don't think defense is an underrated or forgotten aspect of Jordan's game. I feel he got the credit he deserved by the media and coaches except for not making the all defensive team in '87. But, I feel that hada lot do with his reputation at that point. Most people on this forum also acknowledge how good he was defensively and deserving of his DPOY other than a certain individual....The way he'd disrupt offenses, hound his man, force turnovers, play fullcourt pressure defense, provide weakside defense and play smart defense.

I feel that Jordan's underrated aspects of the game are the ones that the casual fan doesn't pay much emphasis to. Such as off ball movement. He was great at moving off ball and picked his spots to perfection. He knew where to be at the right time. Especially when Pippen was the primary playmaker in the triangle, Jordan's off ball game was brilliant. And his competitiveness and hustle is also sometimes underappreciated. Jordan had the hustle of the 12th man. He'd do some of the little things that mattered the most, give it all on the court and you knew how badly he wanted to win.

Agreed. But it's tough to find the right camera angles. The camera usually followed the ball when Jordan was schooling someone with his off ball movement.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Da_Realist
College superstar

One thing I noticed when watching all these games back-to-back over the last few days...

Jordan was still a great defensive player in his later years, but his energy was unbelievable from 87 to about 92. He was ALWAYS in motion...ALWAYS anticipating the next play. I've never seen anyone play like that on both ends. He was always quick, but his anticipation made everyone else look like they were walking under water even when they were running full speed.

Last edited by Da_Realist : 08-03-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #13
TheAnchorman
Luchini from the sky

TheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Realist
I had to leave it on the cutting room floor. I tried to find clips that weren't so overused -- or at least seen from a different angle.
Ah, yeah I have seen that like a million times too but I was just wondering. Also another question, do you know when that last play where he stole the ball saved it from out of bounds got it back and did a circus shot on Laimbeer in the fast break occurred? Around 9:50 - 10:00 of your clip. (I was thinking 89 or 90 playoffs but I'd like you to clarify a specific game if you can ) I know it's also overplayed but I thought that was one of his best sequences as well.
TheAnchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
Fatal9
owwwww

Fatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Awesome video. Would have liked to see more man to man defense where he just shut down players and forced a bad shot (especially against some of the shorter quicker players), like chitowns said. I was thinking about making a similar one for Pippen but really don't feel like looking through tons and tons of games...

And yea, his energy is incredible which is why it's kind of funny when someone mentions Kobe has to carry the offensive load so he can't try on defense, but Jordan had more energy on BOTH ends than Kobe does on either one. Jordan's stamina, along with other things mentioned in this thread, was also underrated.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Da_Realist
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnchorman
Ah, yeah I have seen that like a million times too but I was just wondering. Also another question, do you know when that last play where he stole the ball saved it from out of bounds got it back and did a circus shot on Laimbeer in the fast break occurred? Around 9:50 - 10:00 of your clip. (I was thinking 89 or 90 playoffs but I'd like you to clarify a specific game if you can ) I know it's also overplayed but I thought that was one of his best sequences as well.

1989 ECF Game 6. Near the beginning of the game right after Pippen gets hurt.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: