Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-16-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far
Thumbs down Raptors still interested in Aldridge?

Aldridge ended up being ranked 28th out of 33 power forwards in the draft in terms of atheleticism and that is flat out horrible. This shouldn't be an issue if the Raptors want to play him centre but then again, we want to play a running game which he isn't suited for. He's a poor athelete and is a higher risk because he has no post moves to speak of either.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Where did you see that ranking?
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
houselog442
I airball my layups

houselog442 has an OK reputation so far

I wouldnt take too much into the athletic test. Aldridge scored low mainly because the test is biased toward gaurds and wing players. All the PF's that were in the compitition were smaller than aldridge. (most of the them were 6'8-6'9 whereas Aldridge is 6'11 1/4) The other part of the test that hurt him was bench reps test, only completeing it 8 times. This is normal for someone who is tall, lengthy, and only a second year college player. Look at the other guys who did well with the bench reps were 4-5th year seniors whoe were 6'9 like sheldon williams who did 26 reps its not going to make Aldridge look bad. I bet though he would have ranked much higher if he was put in with the Centers instead of the power forwards.
houselog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
the truth
...since 95

the truth has an OK reputation so far

Here's the results of the athletic testing:

http://nbadraft.net/2006campmeasurements002.asp#
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far
Lightbulb

The athletic tests are just one part of the evaluation process, and is not the main factor in drafting a player. From what I read, teams who don’t track a player’s progress during the season tend to put more emphasis on these tests.

There’s even some debate as to what proportion of those tests are actually transferable on the basketball court. There’s a lot more at play when a player rebounds, or slashes to a basket. There’s no measure for the instincts great players usually have.

It’s kinda like looking at a performance car and judging it strictly by the horsepower numbers. It doesn’t tell you exactly how the car brakes, how the steering feels, how the car rotates on its centre of gravity, or how it's mass is distributed.

In the 2003 draft, you’d think the best athlete would be either Wade or LBJ, but it was Troy Bell ---- a guy who only lasted a year in the NBA.

Chris Bosh finished 51st. TJ Ford scored lower in some footspeed tests than Chris Kaman.

Chris Paul was labelled as being slower than Sean May or Wayne Simien.

I guess for teams looking at a player, it would be ideal if his scores were high, but for me it all comes down the answer to the question ---- can he play?
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:48 AM   #6
Bosh4life
Local High School Star

Bosh4life has an OK reputation so far

So in other words these tests mean **** all?
Bosh4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh4life
So in other words these tests mean **** all?

Correct.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
the truth
...since 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Correct.

Incorrect.

They dont mean a whole lot but they certainly arenít meaningless. They at least give an indication (just an indication) of a players potential to be a good shot blocker/rebounder or a finisher at the hoop. Referring of course to the vertical leap tests.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth
Incorrect.

They dont mean a whole lot but they certainly arenít meaningless. They at least give an indication (just an indication) of a players potential to be a good shot blocker/rebounder or a finisher at the hoop. Referring of course to the vertical leap tests.

You don't need to be a good athlete to be a good rebounder and shot blocker. It's all about reading the other player and timing and boxing out and controling your man.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
Zalendar
Decent playground baller

Zalendar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
You don't need to be a good athlete to be a good rebounder and shot blocker. It's all about reading the other player and timing and boxing out and controling your man.
That is true, but if you're good at reading the other player and timing etc etc.. then being a good athlete would also be an additional advantage.

How fast you can run, how quick you are, how high you can jump, doesn't mean you're a great basketball player. But it certainly can enhance your basketball talents.

But, there is a lot more to basketball than just being a good athlete.
Zalendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:52 PM   #11
the truth
...since 95

Quote:

I thought I made it abundantly clear that the athletic tests arenít the be all and end all. I guess not.

Instincts without ability is useless. Ability without instincts is useless. But to totally discount the value of a high vertical leap on shotblocking, rebounding, and finishing just because it doesnít say anything about instinct is shortsighted if not idiotic. Obviously b-ball IQ is necessary for a player to succeed at the aforementioned skills, but youíre making it seem like athleticism is inconsequential.

Seriously Funk, what do you have against information? The more the better. You just have to know how to interpret and weight the information.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: