Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
Maize'N'Blue
Super Yooper

Maize'N'Blue has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Trainning plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
They'd raise your calf strength which would then raise your overall leg strength, but as an isolation exercise it would take longer and therefore be more inefficient to do them, when total lower body exercises will get more done. Calves 't really used for jumping or quickness. I'm pretty sure those two start at the core, then the energy travels down the leg, using the calf to transfer energy to the ground. So it would be better if you spent more time working on core exercises and full leg exercises than just an isolation calf raise.

So are calves really more of an appearance thing than anything?
Maize'N'Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #17
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize'N'Blue

Yeah you could say that. Some people think they look good, others, no. It's up to you, but it is added weight and being on the lower part of your body, lowers your center of gravity and will make you more stable, which is good for post players.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize'N'Blue
These are the two parts of the calves.

The Soleus is the smaller muscle and the side and used for balance. The Gastrocnemius is the big muscle back there and more used for getting vertical... but like we have said, they aren't used much. The Soleus is more important to an athlete and those are trained doing squats, deadlifts, and a lot of other leg exercises... So it's not necessary to train them, but you can if you wish as they will give your calves a more ripped appearance.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by koBEDABEST

For the moment when I go the court all I do is the mikan drill, then form shooting, 3 tier around the world, shoot jumpshots and then play around. I dont really know what to do.

I want to practice all parts of my game. I can dedicate 1-2 hours everyday during weekdays and unlimited time during weekends. I know theres some pretty good basketball players here and id like you to help me get a plan.

If ud like to know, right now I got a decent jumpshot and handles and im pretty fast and agile around the rim. I think my force is driving to the rim.

edit: im around 6'1 btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I would dedicate about 2 hours 5 days a week doing drills and hitting the weight room. I'd spend about 75 minutes on drills and 45 minutes in the weight room. I'd do 10 minutes of warmups (Mikan Drill, shooting around, etc.), 15 minutes of shooting, 15 minutes of slashing/layup drills, 15 minutes of ball handling, 10 minutes of footwork, and then end with 10 minutes of shooting .

Uh its hard to say. Swag that's a good generic workout I agree with it just not with a time limit. OP said he doesn't want many weaknesses. OP, looking at it you need to practice your handles, so it can be nice instead of decent.

Ball handling: Better Basketball has so good drills just pick a few,

shooting: also start out any time you practice doing mikans and slapping the ball hard so you get a feel then start in close and step back everytime yo make a shot. in no particular order Go wing to wing, elbow to elbow, fts, then curls deep in the paint elbow to elbow wing to wing, BANK SHOTs ( really important for 5-18 ft out on wings). Same as above also but with 3s, some off the dribble jumpers like pump fake one dribble pulls ups, but dont concentrate to much on that yet. When you get a good enough jumper ill start recommending fade aways.

post game: need to develope it no matter what your height is, but dont focuse too much on it. Practice low post face up banks, making a move, jump stops in the paint, baby hooks. then when you are backing down drop steps.

One-on-One/Driving: Not sure how good your dribble moves are, but Better Basketball gives you the basic. Have a few good to moves, dont overkill. Just practice quick crossovers, killer crossver, inside outside, inside outside crossover, hestitation, maybe 1 or 2 combos like between the legs then cross, behind the back cross. Just try to do the moves as fast as possible. Unless there is a scouting report on you all you need are like 3 or 4 one on onemoves, but just master them.

Vertical Jump: Practice it, you can do all the lifting you want, but it doesnt mean anything if you dont practice jumping. Just do about 3 sets of 5 or something small on the court and practice leaping at the rim, hang on it, grab it, touch it or touch the highest point depening on what you can do. I show it in my clip. I do it, it helps.

Triple Moves/First Step: Better Basketball 1-1 offense does a great job with Practice them pump fakes( get on tippy toes reall sell it), face up js, being able to explode both ways. Here is my favorite first step move i like to do it really burns the d especially since I can pull up. I call it

lilojmayo's first step like prime allen iverson blow past you move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfKwUARsac in the very beginning i paused it, notice i have my right hand out protecting the ball when he tried to reach.
The key is to wait until to d commits on a close out stare at the rim for a second and go, then you can either go all the way, fake a pass the layup it up, stop on a dime play with the d pull up, or just stop and pull up.

edit- practice the Euro step a break fastbreak one on one or one on two move.

Last edited by lilojmayo : 03-30-2010 at 09:29 PM.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:05 AM   #20
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

OJ Holy crap you said you couldn't really tell how long your arms are on vid... I can tell. Wow those are crazy long... You can probably wrap your arms all the way around your back and touch fingers huh? I'd like to practice dribbling drills against you... if you couldn't poke it away then I'd be set lol.

I love the Eurostep tho... it's one of those moves that I didn't really notice too much for whatever reason until watching Manu Ginobli's Signature moves on youtube... and then I really saw how effective it could be watching Tyreke Evans play. Anyway, on breaks I didn't used to know what to do if someone was back on D... usually I would just pull up for a jumper, slow it down, or take it right into them with mixed results. Ever since I have been Eurostepping tho it's no decision... I'm taking it right at them and it's very difficult to stop because their movement (or lack there of) and body positioning dictates what I do. Most of the time it's a simple right to left because they are expecting you to go right... but maybe they step a little to the left and then you just continue right and lay it up.

Bottom line... it's a good move

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 03-31-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 AM   #21
koBEDABEST
Banned

koBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected posterkoBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected posterkoBEDABEST is a pretty well-respected poster

lilojmayo that seems like a nice ass offensive plan! do you think i should take time to master all the 115 drills or should i skip to important ones?

im gonna watch all the videos, check some other stuff on youtube maybe and get back at you when i make a weekly plan(in 2-3 days after school project).

swaggin i asked my mom to get me a gym membership. ill get back at you soon.

edit: i dont rly get the euro step. u just put a foot on the front and blow pas the d? btw how old/tall r u mayo?

Last edited by koBEDABEST : 03-31-2010 at 04:25 AM.
koBEDABEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #22
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Nice man... just keep bugging her about it. Tell her if she loves you she will do it because it's really important to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS9ccjbFS3U

That's the eurostep right there. Basically you are faking one way and then cutting back the other. It's useful not only in help situations like that, but on the break as well. A help defender coming over like that and establishes position, the eurostep is a great move to get around them without getting called for a charge. On a fast break, if a defender is back he is going to do one of 3 things; he is either going to backpedal (and in that case the eurostep isn't necessary you can just go right up over him), try and take a charge, or try to block your shot. With the eurostep, the only way he can get in front of you is if he moves in front of you which of course will be a blocking foul... and trying to block the shot is just plain difficult because your body is in his way and he will more often get called for a foul. This move is as close to foolproof as you can get and almost always works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW0bBN9wfmI Tyreke Eurosteppin past Pierce.

When it comes to basketball, you want to get as good as you can moving laterally. Some people you just aren't going to be able to blow by so being able to move from side to side quickly and get them off balance is key.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 03-31-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by koBEDABEST
lilojmayo that seems like a nice ass offensive plan! do you think i should take time to master all the 115 drills or should i skip to important ones?

im gonna watch all the videos, check some other stuff on youtube maybe and get back at you when i make a weekly plan(in 2-3 days after school project).

swaggin
edit: i dont rly get the euro step. u just put a foot on the front and blow pas the d? btw how old/tall r u mayo?

Swaggin explained the Euro Step well. It is a simple move once you know how to do it and effective since it is rarely done. Im 18, 6'3. Try to make practicing as simple as possible. that's the only bad thing about instructional videos they make the game seem so complicated. For the ball handling only pick like 4-5 drills. You really don't need that much. You get better at dribbling by just dribbling and working on moves.

Just start of simple for now maybe even just practicing 30 min or more a day, then if you don't get tired of it pick it up little by little. It helps if you play on a team or pick games, because you need to see how real game situation works. Also if you have a friend practicing with you it helps a lot and is more fun.

Simple is better for right now. Then as you start getting better you can pick it up a bit. You know you want to work on shooting the most and driving moves and ball handling. And for the weight room. Swag workouts are pretty intense. If your just starting out like you say you are I would just do body weight stuff, until you are ready for weights. You can increase speed and vert by a lot just using body weight if your just starting up playing again.

Personally what your doing right now is fine, just shooting around and playing with it is great, mix that in with pick up games of any kind. Then when school ends and you still like it, that's when you should make a plan both on and off the court.

edit- lol, no i can't swag, maybe if i was more flexible i could touch it, also yeah it would be fun, i would probably be able to pick up a few things and i am pretty sure most dribbling drills your just trying to say in front of the ball handler not steal it necessarily

Last edited by lilojmayo : 03-31-2010 at 03:13 PM.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #24
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

It won't hurt him to get in there and start some light lifting but yea you shouldn't just dive headfirst into one of routines unless you have prior experience lifting. When you get that gym membership try some light squats with the bar to get the movement down... same with deadlifts. Maybe you can ask someone at the gym (a trainer or someone who looks like they know what the are doing) to help you with your form. Most people are open to that and like teaching people anyway. Once you have the form, then start adding weight. Eventually after a month or so you can really start putting on some weight and making some gains. That will be an exciting time for you (painful too lol) because you will see very quick results.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #25
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

MWF I have an hour of cardio with a basketball class and I lift afterwords, mostly upper. T/TH I do yoga and hit legs and go for a run. Saturday and Sunday are my days off and im honestly in some of the better shape ive been in for awhile.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #26
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo

lilojmayo's first step like prime allen iverson blow past you move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfKwUARsac in the very beginning i paused it, notice i have my right hand out protecting the ball when he tried to reach.
The key is to wait until to d commits on a close out stare at the rim for a second and go, then you can either go all the way, fake a pass the layup it up, stop on a dime play with the d pull up, or just stop and pull up.

edit- practice the Euro step a break fastbreak one on one or one on two move.

That move at 1 min was really nice i didn't expect it. I always wondered I know alot of people on ISH say your the best ball player on here, and a lot of them say you aren't. What is your take on that, anytime i watch you it gets more impressive 6'3 with a 6'11 wingspan can jump, shoot, dribble. I haven't seen anyone else that has impressed me as much out of all the videos I have seen. Your 18, are you going to play college basketball somewhere?

Swaggin918, I've wondered do you work at a sports complex of some sort. How did you learn so much about how to improve athletic performance.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #27
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.

My advice is play whenever you can. practice makes perfect.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #28
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Damn dude long arms man you're mad lucky. I have the most useless basketball wise body possible: short legs, short arms, long neck, no vertical

koBEDABEST:

Remember to practice using your eyes to deceive the defense. This is very underrated and easily overlooked, unseen by all but the defender. For example, if you get the ball in triple threat, drive hard then step back quickly, throw a glance up at the rim. I've done this and seen my man go flying over me so many times. Then, when you're at the rim, throw a glance at your teammate and see how the defense reacts.

To me, basketball is all about reaction and counter-reaction: like how quickly can you react to the defense and throw an offensive move right back at them. Also, some things you can incorporate into your life are using your off hand to do daily tasks, like brushing your teeth or opening a door. It'll make a difference. Also, dribble a basketball wherever you go. You'll have to look up to avoid hitting things and sudden things like people will force you to maintain control.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Damn dude long arms man you're mad lucky. I have the most useless basketball wise body possible: short legs, short arms, long neck, no vertical

Join the club man... I'm 5'11 with a 5'9 1/2 wingspan. My mom is 5'7 and has the same wingspan as me lol. I also have short legs... I'm not quite Michael Phelps but I'm close lol... Long neck, yep I have that too lol. As for the vertical... well I haven't been able to jump in weeks so yea I have no vertical right now but I'm not worried about that because I've had a good one before and it's the one thing (out of those) I can actually improve.

Bottom line... I ought to play with a chip on my shoulder, but I don't. Regardless of how many physical advantages some people might have on me, I still feel like with enough skill I should be able to beat them most of the time.

Quote:
Swaggin918, I've wondered do you work at a sports complex of some sort. How did you learn so much about how to improve athletic performance.

No I don't work at a sports complex or at any sort of gym, fitness has just been of great interest to me for the last 7+ years. I have done a ton of research on a lot of different things, especially vertical jump, speed, and power training (shit I might as well have a degree in it lol). I have a great love of sports so training for them has caught my interest the most.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 03-31-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #30
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Join the club man... I'm 5'11 with a 5'9 1/2 wingspan. My mom is 5'7 and has the same wingspan as me lol. I also have short legs... I'm not quite Michael Phelps but I'm close lol... Long neck, yep I have that too lol. As for the vertical... well I haven't been able to jump in weeks so yea I have no vertical right now but I'm not worried about that because I've had a good one before and it's the one thing (out of those) I can actually improve.

Bottom line... I ought to play with a chip on my shoulder, but I don't. Regardless of how many physical advantages some people might have on me, I still feel like with enough skill I should be able to beat them most of the time.

Hey at least your 5'11... I think I'm 5'7" but some people claim i'm not, my doctor said i was 5'5" a couple months back

My vertical is garbage also. I measured it 3 weeks back, and while I was tired I still measured on a 17 inch standing vertical. 17 inches! I thought I had a 24"

I don't play with a chip though. I don't really have anything to be mad about, I couldn't choose my body so I'm not pissed. I guess I should play like I have something to prove though... everyone's always talking trash to me and no one believes in me anyway.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: