Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
Ikill
i be killah swag

Default Re: Point Guard situation?

yeah rebuild what about getting mayo, and then getting the 1st or 2nd pick then getting harrison barnes or perry jones, then the pistons got their own big three. But hopefully they get rid of rip tay and gordon first
Ikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
idizzle
Good college starter

Pistons to address PG situation.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010080...ons-front-line

In the backcourt, Kelser agreed that the Pistons still don't have a lead guard, but the talent available should suffice.
"I think everybody agrees with the consensus that a solid, true point guard would be helpful with all these scorers and shooters," Kelser said. "Will Bynum, when he comes in, he has the ability to distribute and get other people involved. ... He's a combo guard. Rodney (Stuckey) is a combo guard. I'm not too worried about it if that's where they find themselves in October, because I think all those guys can handle the point guard spot if called upon."

The Pistons should do like the Warriors and find some undrafted players in D-League. The Warriors always strike gold finding players their especially guards.

The Pistons should look at these guys.

A.J. Slaughter
Willie Kemp
Ishmael Smith
Sherron Collins
Jerome Randle
Mikhail Torrance

Last edited by idizzle : 08-03-2010 at 05:24 PM.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #18
dd24
College superstar

I think Collins signed somewhere already. I guy from the D-League isn't going to change things around for us. I'd much rather give White a chance. Stuckey is the starting PG and we're fine in that position. If we get a different starting PG than Stuckey better be involved in that trade because he's not going to be a good SG. Let's see what he can do. He's put a lot of work in. It's really the first time the team has been his. With all the talk about him from the staff, I don't think we'll see a move at that position this year. Stuckey is the starter. If it doesn't work this year, then they will make a move.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #19
dealer77
I open layup bricks

i remember posting about how we should get ish smith back when we were talking about summer league rosters. i still think he's the type of guy we need. patty mills was also released from portland, and he's another guy i thought would be a solid NBA PG.

it just keeps going back to that analogy of fitting square pegs into round holes. joe D keeps seeing himself in all these combo/shooting guards and thinking he can turn them all into PGs. PG distribution can be learned, but it often takes too long for that development to take place at the NBA level, when a player is already adjusting to the bigger, faster, stronger players in the game in other areas.
dealer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
dd24
College superstar

It's funny we talk about this as there's a thread in the main forum going on about PG's and it is basically saying the complete opposite of all of you. While I think PG is an important position I don't think you need the best in the game to win, but I also don't think random 2nd rounders are going to get it done either. It seems like every time Stuckey has that potential and he is our PG...... period. They just resigned Bynum. He's the backup.... period. BG even though he is 6'3" plays SG but can be a 3rd backup when necessary. We have plenty of PG's!!!!!! Besides SG, it's obviously our most talented position. Did anybody go to a Pistons game last year? Stuckey was clearly their best player on the court. The funny thing is for the couple of minutes he played SG he was not. The kid is not a SG. Get this through your heads. The guy was asked to carry more of the scoring load because Detroit had nobody else to do it. Does anybody remember him averaging 16 points and 5 assists per game last year? That is not a bad season! Especially when you consider defenses had to focus on him, even more so when Ben Wallace is in the game because we are playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end when he's in there. I guarantee you Joe D isn't thinking he needs a PG. The only way something like that happens is if he can put Stuckey in a trade to bring in a superstar like Chris Paul, or even another player + a PG. I highly doubt that is going to happen. Read what Joe is saying, read what Kuester is saying. Stuckey is clearly now the leader of the team and they are going to give him every opportunity. We need a big man, not a PG.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #21
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
It's funny we talk about this as there's a thread in the main forum going on about PG's and it is basically saying the complete opposite of all of you. While I think PG is an important position I don't think you need the best in the game to win, but I also don't think random 2nd rounders are going to get it done either. It seems like every time Stuckey has that potential and he is our PG...... period. They just resigned Bynum. He's the backup.... period. BG even though he is 6'3" plays SG but can be a 3rd backup when necessary. We have plenty of PG's!!!!!! Besides SG, it's obviously our most talented position. Did anybody go to a Pistons game last year? Stuckey was clearly their best player on the court. The funny thing is for the couple of minutes he played SG he was not. The kid is not a SG. Get this through your heads. The guy was asked to carry more of the scoring load because Detroit had nobody else to do it. Does anybody remember him averaging 16 points and 5 assists per game last year? That is not a bad season! Especially when you consider defenses had to focus on him, even more so when Ben Wallace is in the game because we are playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end when he's in there. I guarantee you Joe D isn't thinking he needs a PG. The only way something like that happens is if he can put Stuckey in a trade to bring in a superstar like Chris Paul, or even another player + a PG. I highly doubt that is going to happen. Read what Joe is saying, read what Kuester is saying. Stuckey is clearly now the leader of the team and they are going to give him every opportunity. We need a big man, not a PG.

Absolutely dead on, plus Stuckey can at least competently guard any G in the league IMO.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 AM   #22
PistonsFan#21
College star

Do you guys know what kind of big man we could get in a trade involving Rip and Tay? We have no post scoring so far and without it we will remain the mediocre team that we are right now
PistonsFan#21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 AM   #23
dd24
College superstar

That's what everyone is trying to guess. I haven't heard of anything legit. We all wanted Chandler but we know that can't happen anymore.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #24
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
Do you guys know what kind of big man we could get in a trade involving Rip and Tay? We have no post scoring so far and without it we will remain the mediocre team that we are right now

We do need some post scoring, though its hard to attain in this day and age. Tyson Chandler is out there and Biedrins, but neither is really an answer. We could gamble on a Prince/Rip/Maxiell for Iggy/Brand deal, hoping that Brand bounces back from injury and offenses he didn't fit to become what he was. Kaman might be available eventually, but I doubt it. Maybe Okafor or West from NO, but the market is pretty dry
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #25
dd24
College superstar

I've been trying to think of some big men that might be available still. I think Portland would probably trade Joel Przybilla. They already have Oden and Camby. I like Camby better as a player but he probably only has a year or two left in the league. I know Przybilla's coming off of an injury but when the guy started he pretty much averaged 10 and 10 and that's not being any kind of focal point of the offense. He's 31 now but I still have always liked him as a player. I think he would fit in well here. The Grizzlies might part with Thabeet potentially too. I'm not necessarily saying trade Rip or Tay for these guys, but just throwing out some ideas that could possibly be included in a trade package of some kind.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: