Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
1manfastbreak
still hyphy

Default If the Warriors moved to San Francisco..

interesting article with a lot of good points. warrior fans dont see the team as Oakland's team, the bay just shares the Warriors, much like the sharks. but could you imagine a new arena in downtown frisco? could be a makeover this franchise NEEDS..

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...p=all&tc=pgall

Quote:
'SF Warriors' makes sense but isn't fair

Published: Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 7:07 p.m.

The idea is out there. The tycoon who buys the Warriors may move them to San Francisco. What is a person to think?

I can't tell you what another person should think but I sure can say what this person thinks. This person — as in me — is an Oakland resident. The idea of the crummy Warriors fleeing to The City seems disloyal in the extreme. It seems disloyal because the team has a state-of-the-art arena in Oakland along with a state-of-art practice facility. And more than any of that, the Warriors have state-of-the-art fans.

This season's edition of the Warriors is an embarrassment wrapped in an outrage enclosed in an abomination. The fans don't care about that. In spite of everything, the Warriors rank 12th of 29 teams in attendance. Last season when the Warriors had a disgraceful 29-53 record, they were ninth in attendance. So whoever buys the team can't claim fan indifference — as the Raiders and especially the A's claim from time to time.

There is the existence of a lease running through 2017. The Warriors signed this lease and it obliges them to play in Oakland, not in San Francisco. This is a fact any new owner must confront.

But there are other sides to this argument and if I stand back and take a deep breath I concede that. San Francisco has cachet and Oakland does not. I grew up in Brooklyn and compared to Brooklyn, Manhattan was the magic land. Oakland is Brooklyn and San Francisco is Manhattan with even more magic. San Francisco is the magic city of America.

If I were spending between $300 million and $400 million and maybe more for a franchise in the NBA, I'd have fantasies about moving it to the magic city. I'd feel disheartened about the current location of Oracle Arena — in East Oakland, a depressed, sad area. I'd do everything I could to place the new arena next to AT&T Park, a stunning San Francisco neighborhood improving all the time. This I would want.

I could charge more for tickets and attract better players and better coaches and better front-office people. I might move into the top five in attendance and have an easier time getting into the playoffs and winning a championship, although the Warriors won their only championship in Oakland.

Fans from San Francisco would come to the new hoops palace next to the Giants' baseball palace, and I bet East Bay fans would travel on BART to the new arena if I haven't priced them out. I know tycoons can buy themselves out of leases — I'm pretending I'm a rich guy buying the Warriors and I'm pretending I know how rich guys get things get done.

As an Oakland resident, I don't like the moving-to-San-Francisco scenario but I understand it and I understand it's just business, nothing personal against Oakland. And I understand “fair” and “unfair” are not relevant concepts in this conversation, although the Warriors moving to San Francisco seems distinctly unfair and disloyal. It disheartens me that loyalty doesn't matter a hill of beans.

So I am prepared for the Warriors to play in San Francisco some time or other. Recently, they wore throwback (throw up?) jerseys with “San Francisco” on them. They never wear jerseys with “Oakland” on them because the organization is disrespectful of the host city and insists on the weird “Golden State” designation, as in monstrosity.

I have a compromise move for the Warriors. I admit this is wishful thinking. How about a palatial arena near Jack London Square? It is an increasingly vibrant area with Yoshi's jazz club and the ferry and a bunch of terrific restaurants. And it's safe and beautiful and uniquely Oakland. Although no one could find space for an A's baseball park near Jack London Square — why? — basketball arenas are smaller than baseball parks and fit into urban environments just fine.

I am desperately trying to keep the Warriors in Oakland
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Blzrfn
Decent playground baller

Default Re: If the Warriors moved to San Francisco..

I have thought about that. I could see the Warriors playing in an arena in San Fran. It may have happened in the 70's if Mel Swig, the NHL Seals' owner at the time, could have gotten an arena built in the city. However, there was a mayoral election at the time, and the arena issue was overlooked, so the Seals moved to Cleveland.
Blzrfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
bagelred
Stare

The Warriors are going to move all the way to San Francisco from Florida?
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
QuebecBaller
Next Great White Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Florida?
QuebecBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
burnsy87
Local High School Star

Quote:

Haha...did you seriously think Oakland was in Florida?
burnsy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

San Jose would be a better spot. Many don't realize this, but San Jose is the biggest city in the Bay, and most of the A's, Giants, Raiders, Niners, and Warriors fans come from San Jo (south bay).

The A's tried to move to San Jo a few years back, and the Giants sued to stop the move.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Quote:

You realize that the Warriors are in the Western Conference?
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Quote:

Fail post of the year
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
IamSofaKing
I brick airballs

Quote:

I know everyone has brain farts every once in a while, but this is
IamSofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Rican_Havok
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:

I can't tell if he's being serious or not.
Rican_Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
cotdt
Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan

It's going to be filled with LA fans no matter where they go.
cotdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
DuMa
Canned

how bout playing half their home games at oracle and half at SF?
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
IamSofaKing
I brick airballs

They should move the Warriors to SF, most of the people watching the Warriors game are probably from SF you think people in Oakland can afford a ticket?
IamSofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
bagelred
Stare

Uh..hello? The Golden State? Florida?

Wake up everyone.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Kinda something I thought about when reading this:

I'm sure Oakland and San Fran have their own little "rivalry" Like, it would seem kinda strange to see someone so pro San Fran/anti-Oakland in the other sports, be able to drop that and be a Warriors fan, seeing as how they play out of Oakland.

I know that 49ers/Raiders fans don't really like eachother, but can said 49er fan get into the Warriors, being that they are still the professional basketball.....the ONLY professional basketball, representative in the area? Or, is most of the fan base from Oakland?

For me personally, I like the Reds/Bengals in the other sports. I hate the Browns, and could care less about the Indians, but like the Cavs. I mean, I'm loyal to my state. It's not like there is another NBA team to root for
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: