Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 11-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
chrisw
Can barely lace up my sneakers

chrisw has an OK reputation so far
Default jumping excersizes for a one legged jumper?

I'm 5'10" 190, hands just big enough to plam the ball. I touch rim and thats it, and barley. I'm a one legged jumper. What are good excersizes to get me jumping higher and dunking?
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Star#9
Banned

Star#9 has an OK reputation so far

I think i'm missunderstanding. Are you saying you have 1 leg?
Star#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
chrisw

lol no, im just saying most jumping drills etc. are for jumping opff of 2.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
littlespyda
Decent playground baller

littlespyda has an OK reputation so far

grab a chair. put one foot on the chair and the other one on the ground . push off with the one on the chair into the air and switch feet. repeat. do like 2 sets of 15 reps.
littlespyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:01 AM   #5
mhg88
Local High School Star

mhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat cool

At 5'10" and 190 you are relatively heavy. I don't know what your body fat is but I would focus on bringing that down first if it isn't already around 10%. This will raise your vertical. If you are already at 10% or lower, and the weight is mostly muscle, then I apologize. In this case it would be beneficial to work on your strength. Squats are a key exercise in developing vertical leap. You say you are 5'10" and can barely touch rim. I'm 5'7" and I can grab it easily. The difference is strength. You need to start doing squats on a regular basis until you can squat at least 1.5X your bodyweight, ie. at least 285 pounds. Let me know where you stand as far as bodyfat % and how much you can squat, and I'll try to help you from there. By the way, I am a one footed jumper as well. It is better to focus on overall leg strength for both legs than to isolate your jumping leg. This will only cause imbalances that will be problematic in the future.
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
chrisw

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah, my squat is a bit more then that, and my 190 is a bottom heavy kind of build, also i think my body fat is more around 12%, I think its an issue of explosivness as opposed to pure strength, i can grab early on, but i mean after a while of playing i wear down and then im barley touching, so i guess conditioning plays a part in that.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
mhg88
Local High School Star

mhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat cool

Good to hear about your squat. Have you ever done any plyometrics, ie. Air Alert? I wouldn't recommend Air Alert, but plyometric exercises will definitely help build your explosiveness and increase your rate of force exertion.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #8
chrisw

no havent tried polymetrics
Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
mhg88
Local High School Star

That's actually good to hear. It means you still have a lot of potential for gains. You could gain maybe six or more inches with plyos if you've never done them. I would recommend getting the Vertical Jump Bible. The VJB is a great resource if you are serious about improving your vertical. It has tests you can do on yourself to determine what kind of workout mix will be most beneficial for your body. I personally am still in the strength phase. I am using a workout in the VJB, and my squat has gone up 70 pounds after only four workouts (once per week). My vertical has gone up six inches. I'm gonna keep working on my strength until my squat won't go up anymore, then I'm gonna do plyos and hopefully be able to throw down at 5'7".
Old 11-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
chrisw

wow thats awsome man, ill check it out. You know i recall barkley saying he did next to nothing, conditioning wise, harldley ever even lifted weights, had a less then steller body fat% and still jumped out of the gym. how?!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #11
littlespyda
Decent playground baller

littlespyda has an OK reputation so far

i once read when he was a kid he wanted to be able to jump high and rebound alot so he skipped alot of rope and jumped over some sort of fence.
littlespyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
mhg88
Local High School Star

That's the case for a lot of players. He may not have lifted a whole lot, but I'm sure he did it enough to get a decent strength base going. Then he obviously played ball a ton throughout his life. Every day most likely, for hours at a time. The thing is, just playing basketball (running, jumping, etc) is actually a plyometric exercise in itself, and your vertical will increase over an extended period of time if you play that much basketball. That's why almost all NBA guys have at least a 30" standing vertical without doing much outside work.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: