Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default 28 seasons of coaching without making the finals..

Really now....I am amazed Don Nelson still has people looking for some reason his teams dont go anywhere.

I hear tales of Larry Brown being stubborn....well hes won the NCAA title NBA title and made the finals 3 times. Maybe hes justified a lack of change.

But Don Nelson has coached for 31 years. Since 1976. Took a couple seasons off. Are people really not getting the common problem with his teams? The Bucks played D. Still flopped in the playoffs though. But in the 20 years since leaving them its been all offense and all playoff letdowns. Not literally "all" but damn close. I'll just repeat something I said in another topic since I dont feel like typing out a slightly modified version that makes the same point:

Quote:
In 31 years...31. since 1976...you know how many conference finals games hes won? Not series. Games. games in the conference finals.

Just for reference sake...

Sloan has 11.
Larry Brown has 18.
Lenny Wilkins has 11.
Larry Bird had 9 in 3 seasons.
Flip Saunders has 8.
Jeff Vangundy has 6.
George Karl has 10.

Best player(according to most) any of them ever had was choking ass Karl Malone. Or David Robinson. Not exactly dominant all time greats like Shaq, MJ, Magic, and Bird. Great players. not all time elites.

Im gonna give you a moment to consider what a reasonable number would be given 31 years of great coaching. Think about it. Really....

*Pondering gap*

*pondering gap*

Was your answer 3? Because mine wouldnt be.

In 31 years. In 31 years combined hes not won enough games in the conference finals to actually make the finals. 2 with the Mavs. 1 with the Bucks. And a sweep. 3 games. In 31 years.

8 50 win Bucks teams including a 59, 60, 57, and 55. 2 in Golden state including a 55. 4 50 win seasons in Dallas including 57 and 60 win seasons. Combine...for 3 conference finals games won.

Don Nelson has shown what he will do with a team. Make it score. Make it unusual. Then lose before it reaches the only point that matters.

Id love having Don Nelson if I had a boring team I knew didnt have the talent to win it all. The games would be great to watch...but you just wont win. Not when it matters.

31 years is way...way..waaaaaay too long to keep calling it coincidence.

Good coach? Sure.

Do I want him coaching my team?

Whole other story....

So the question is simple. Even knowing his history...if you could swap your coach for Don Nelson would you do it? I imagine the following teams fans would say yes:

Wizards
Celtics
Rockets
Knicks
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 28 seasons of coaching without making the finals..

Well Nellie has never had a real dominant big, unless you count Bob Lanier but he was in his last seasons.

We all know bigs win titles (most of the time)
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex has an OK reputation so far

At least he utilizes his player's strengths unlike Jackson or Van Gundy. Just needs to implement more offensive discipline...
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:51 AM   #4
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I like how I made this topic awhile ago and now that you've made the same topic people will go "wow... you know, you're completely right! god, I wish someone had brought me down to earth sooner!"

but yeah... you're totally right. man after the Dallas series all of a sudden Nelson was a top 5 coach and I was stupid to put Carlisle or Skiles over him. I think one guy even called me out for putting Avery Johnson over him and I was like you SERIOUS... then I made the "Nellie did not make Dirk" thread.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

kblaze ur factual/rational reasoning falls short of fabcasablanca's arguments, sorry.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't think there was a year where his team was favor to be in the finals though.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:53 AM   #7
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh and one more thing....

The more I hear Don speak and see how he operated the more I like him as a coach(as much as you can like a guy you know only through interviews and stories).

But he just doesnt seem to want to change.

He has a "**** it" mentality which I approve of. But im more a fan of the Red Auerbach kind of "**** it" style coaching and talking. The kind backed up by winning. Granted Red won with teams that probbaly would have won a bit without a coach at all. Just saying....Red sets the standard for "**** it" style coaching arrogance.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 AM   #8
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick

Diesel J has decent reputationDiesel J has decent reputation

Like I told Nexus and Fab before,Don Nelson gets too much praise for a guy that doesn't accomplish much in the playoffs.He only knows one trick and thats to create odd lineups that create mismatches on offense.It's exciting but it doesn't get you to the final stage for a championship.
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #9
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

As a Rockets fan, I would never trade Nellie for JVG.

I do want change, but Nellie is the last coach for the Rockets.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #10
LiL Stevie
Decent college freshman

LiL Stevie has decent reputation

He will never win one. His press conference just confirmed it for me. Seems like all he cared about was getting into the playoffs and beating the Mavs. Reporter asked him what he thinks it will take for the Warriors to get over the hump (AKA "What will it take for the Warriors to become legit contenders?") and Nelson just acted like it was a dumb question by using the "Well we got into the playoffs, I think we're over the hump" response. Your team just lost 4-1. Can't you address how to improve your team's weaknesses or something?
LiL Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #11
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

this feels like Deja Vu but I'll go through the motions again anyway:

do not excuse Nellie for never having a good big. HE DID NOT WANT ONE. tons of times he could have traded for traditional championship pieces and instead he traded for redundant players who run, shoot, and score. why? because that's what he wants. not a title. running and 3s.

Nellie teams do: let their guy blow right by them and get in position to receive a quick inbounds before their guy has even scored.

Nellie teams do not: win titles. Avery Johnson teams do. despite his poor first round performance, he will win a title and Nellie won't.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #12
nbapoints
Decent playground baller

nbapoints has an OK reputation so far

He's a hall of fame coach to be. One of the all time NBA greats as player and coach. You don't know sh@t. Next question.
nbapoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
As a Rockets fan, I would never trade Nellie for JVG.

I do want change, but Nellie is the last coach for the Rockets.
Y not, cant U imagine Skip pulling up for three everytime he pushes the ball up court.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:58 AM   #14
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
He's a hall of fame coach to be. One of the all time NBA greats as player and coach. You don't know sh@t. Next question.
no... try again.

nothing you said is wrong... but its irrelevant. so? HOF coach, fine. but would I want him coaching my title contender? no.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:59 AM   #15
LiL Stevie
Decent college freshman

LiL Stevie has decent reputation

Nobody is questioning his great offensive mind. He's a smart guy. Good coach/GM when it comes to finding players that fit his style. But what we're saying is that if you're looking for a coach to win a championship with, he's just not the guy.
LiL Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: