Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool
Default Marcus Camby

He's a restricted free agent, correct?

Should the Blazers bring him back and if they do then who do they move?
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marcus Camby

I think he is a true free agent (thus not restricted). However, we can offer him more than (or equal to) as much as anybody since he is currently on the roster.

Anyway, I definitely would like to have him back, but at what cost is the question. I don't expect much flexibility cap wise in the next year, so I have no problem throwing money at him short term, but at his age years may be the bigger concern. I think at most, I would be fine with a contract similar to the one we gave Andre Miller (2 year plus a 1 year team option for about $6-7M per year).

As for who do we move if this happens? Przybilla. Przybilla is also older, but had a major injury (and setback), and may never be the same. Plus, if Przybilla is out a long time, insurance will kick in, meaning teams may be interested in trading for him because of his contract. Our bigs that would get lots of minutes would be Oden, Camby, and Aldridge, while Juwan can get a few minutes here and there while remaining as a replacement in case of injury (much like this season).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
C-A-T-S
@Bobcats f o r u m PSD

C-A-T-S has an OK reputation so far

We have to keep Camby. He'd have to be crazy not to want to stay in Rip City!
C-A-T-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-T-S
We have to keep Camby. He'd have to be crazy not to want to stay in Rip City!

He has actually said that he wants to play for Portland next season.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Renegade
I hit open layups

Renegade has an OK reputation so far

Camby is keeping his options open saying he wants to play here next season (he is an UFA). He would be foolish not to say that. However, there’s a big chasm between that statement and signing a contract.

At his age I suspect Camby is interested in finding a team that will play him and has a reasonable chance at winning a championship. That may or may not be the Blazers. Teams that may be interested are Denver, Cleveland (may lose Ilgauskas), Phoenix (may lose Stoudamire), etc. There will a number of good options for him.

Given the injury history of Oden and Pryzbilla it may be wise to hold on to all of them. Oden three seasons, all injury plagued. Pryzbilla, history of injuries. Camby has had back and joint issues throughout his career. Camby has, in the past, played PF. Keep Pryzbilla as insurance.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
Camby is keeping his options open saying he wants to play here next season (he is an UFA). He would be foolish not to say that. However, there’s a big chasm between that statement and signing a contract.

At his age I suspect Camby is interested in finding a team that will play him and has a reasonable chance at winning a championship. That may or may not be the Blazers. Teams that may be interested are Denver, Cleveland (may lose Ilgauskas), Phoenix (may lose Stoudamire), etc. There will a number of good options for him.

Given the injury history of Oden and Pryzbilla it may be wise to hold on to all of them. Oden three seasons, all injury plagued. Pryzbilla, history of injuries. Camby has had back and joint issues throughout his career. Camby has, in the past, played PF. Keep Pryzbilla as insurance.

Why would Cleveland want Marcus Camby?
They already have a VERY crowded front court.

Camby in PHX would be deadly...

But you need to look at the fact that Camby does not like moving himself and his family from city to city and he likes to remain in a city for awhile.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Renegade
I hit open layups

Renegade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
Why would Cleveland want Marcus Camby?
They already have a VERY crowded front court.

Camby in PHX would be deadly...

But you need to look at the fact that Camby does not like moving himself and his family from city to city and he likes to remain in a city for awhile.

Cavs centers are Ilgauskas, O'Neal, and Varejao. Ilgauskas is an UFA. O'Neal is at best a shadow of his former self. Varejao, even with the other two centers, is a bench player. If the Cavs are not interested they should be.

To repeat myself: Camby will look for a team that will play him and has a chance for a championship. That may or may not be the Blazers.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

After tonight...

I think Camby wants to stay here.

He looks like he's having the most fun he's ever had in his career...even more than when he was in New York.

Blazers should be contenders next year if they retain Camby and sign a decent free agent back up PF to the MLE.

I'd say Pendergraph could take that position but he needs to work on staying under control, rebounding and his defense.

&& are you just saying that Camby wants to play for a contender and all those teams you listed or is there info out there that back it up? Not flaming you or anything. I just haven't been up on the NBA most the season.

Miller/Bayless
Roy/Fernandez
Batum/Webster
Aldridge/FA
Camby/Oden

If they manage to stay decently healthy with this squad then I don't think its out of the realm of possiblity to talk about a NW Division crown and a top three seed in the West next season.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Miller/Bayless
Roy/Fernandez
Batum/Webster
Aldridge/FA
Camby/Oden

Heck, I'm actually fine with the roster as is assuming we have less injury issues.

Miller/Bayless/Mills
Roy/Fernandez
Batum/Webster/Cunningham
Aldridge/Howard/Pendergraff/(Camby)
Camby/Oden/(Pendergraff)

^Plus throw in a draft pick or 2 that we have.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:46 AM   #10
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Heck, I'm actually fine with the roster as is assuming we have less injury issues.

Miller/Bayless/Mills
Roy/Fernandez
Batum/Webster/Cunningham
Aldridge/Howard/Pendergraff/(Camby)
Camby/Oden/(Pendergraff)

^Plus throw in a draft pick or 2 that we have.

I'm pretty happy with the roster as well but you know the Blazers will use the MLE for a position they feel they could upgrade, but the only power forwards that are unrestricted that I'd throw the MLE at would be Drew Gooden.

Maybe they'll look for a decent back up shooting guard incase Rudy gets into his antics about playing time and crap again to force his hand??

But I can see the Blazers letting Joel walk and resigning Camby.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
Myth

Quote:
I'm pretty happy with the roster as well but you know the Blazers will use the MLE for a position they feel they could upgrade, but the only power forwards that are unrestricted that I'd throw the MLE at would be Drew Gooden.

Maybe they'll look for a decent back up shooting guard incase Rudy gets into his antics about playing time and crap again to force his hand??

But I can see the Blazers letting Joel walk and resigning Camby.

Remember that Joel probably won't walk. If he's gone next year, it is most likely by trade. So that would add somebody to the roster as well.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Remember that Joel probably won't walk. If he's gone next year, it is most likely by trade. So that would add somebody to the roster as well.

According to ESPN he's an unrestricted FA.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
TheCord#20
I hit open layups

TheCord#20 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure he has a player option for next season. I could be wrond though...
TheCord#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
jbryan1984
Good college starter

jbryan1984 is considered somewhat cooljbryan1984 is considered somewhat cool

With Oden's history, I would start Camby next year and have Oden off the bench. I don't follow the Blazers much but unless he is a huge fan favorite, trade Joel P for someone. Then again, you may want to keep him around in case another Greg Oden cry incident occurs. I'm betting Juwan Howard retires.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
Myth

Quote:

I'm pretty sure ESPN is off on this one. Player option is what I've heard talked about all season. It became pretty big discussion among the Blazer broadcasters when Joel went down.

jbryan - I'm fine with either Camby or Oden starting, but if Camby is fine with coming off the bench, I'm good with that for the sake of Oden's development. It will be his fourth year since drafted #1, thus he needs to be getting out there thinking he can produce, not coming off the bench thinking he is a second tier center. But if starting Camby what it takes to keep him, then I'm all for it. Also, every indication that Howard gave in his weekly interview on 95.5 has been that he loves this year and wants to play for the Blazers again next year. I think he even surprised himself how much he has left in the tank.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: