Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: Brandon Marshall traded to the Dolphins

The Holmes situation was a lot different because the steelers would have taken anything for him. They were just interested in getting rid of him and even considered just releasing him. Also he has the suspension to take away from his value too.

Boldin has had a ton of injury problems over the last two years and was never the man in Arizona so he doesn't hold as much value either. Marshall is younger and has proven he is arguably the best receiver in the league.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
It's just weird to me that a guy with similar off the field problems (Holmes) can go for a 5th round pick and a guy with great talent but injury problems (Boldin) can go for a 3rd and 4th...but Marshall was worthy of two 2nds. I know age is factored into that but still. Seems very risky. I think Marshall has the talent to be just as good as any receiver in this league and at the same time I wouldn't want him on my team.

Ginn won't be around much longer. Miami's going to ship him out.
Marshall is a diva. Holmes has an escalating series of issues with violence. Marshall last year just acted like a jerk, Holmes may have legal issues. its not the same. Plus, Marshall is much better.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

If Miami can stay healthy, they should have a great offense next year. They had no good receivers last year, teams focused on the run, and they still ran it down people's throats. Now, with Marshall to spread the field, they should be able to do big things. And unlike Pennington, Chad Henne can really throw the ball down the field. Miami should also be set at corner for the next 6-7 years with their first and second round picks from last year starting and playing well as rookies. I'm starting to like Miami's team more and more.
IlliniFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #19
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
If Miami can stay healthy, they should have a great offense next year. They had no good receivers last year, teams focused on the run, and they still ran it down people's throats. Now, with Marshall to spread the field, they should be able to do big things. And unlike Pennington, Chad Henne can really throw the ball down the field. Miami should also be set at corner for the next 6-7 years with their first and second round picks from last year starting and playing well as rookies. I'm starting to like Miami's team more and more.

Indeed. I hope they fuck Tom Brady twice. Truth though... their run could be even more dominant now with more coverage on the wideout, scary scary... pending Ronnie Brown's recovery but i'm sure he's doing alright.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

Highest paid WR of all time?...Him?
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Marshall is a diva. Holmes has an escalating series of issues with violence. Marshall last year just acted like a jerk, Holmes may have legal issues. its not the same. Plus, Marshall is much better.
Since when does Marshall not have legal issues, especially those involving violence? Are you serious?

Quote:
According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.

On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house. Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.

In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol. A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired. He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond. The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court. On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.

On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond. The charges were dropped the following day.

Terrell Owens is a "diva". Brandon Marshall is much more than a guy who just loves the attention. And this is the guy the Dolphins just made the highest paid WR in NFL history. The guy has immense talent and you could argue he's the best in the league, definitely top 5. It's a huge risk to throw that kind of money at him.

He's had suspensions by both the league and his own team. No way would I make this guy the highest paid NFL receiver ever. You can't even be sure if he's going to come and bring his hardest to work everyday, yet you give him 24 million guaranteed. I think with him acting like a knucklehead last year everyone put that in their head that it was his only issue, ignoring the legal troubles.

I think Miami made a good decision in getting him, but it's a huge risk. And I think they could have gotten him for cheaper than what they gave, speaking of both the picks and the contract they coughed up. It was like Rosenhaus went into Miami's office, said he wanted a billion dollars, and put their name on the deal without negotiation.

Last edited by Posterize246 : 04-14-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #22
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I thought the trade value was high but it was still pretty fair considering the type of talent hes got and the hole that he fills in their line-up. The contract on the other hand...its just far too much. I hope their are stipulation within it that allow Miami to cut some of the money off depending on his off field behavior. Giving him that much money with his history of domestic violence and the fact that he now lives in a city rampant with drugs and women is very risky. Its going to be hard for him to change lifestyle and become a more stable, responsible person while living in Miami.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #23
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

So Ted Ginn's gotta be available cheap right, even more than he already woulda been? Go get him to return kicks Indy.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #24
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Denver will be lucky as hell if either of those drafts picks turn out to be a talent like Marshall...

guess they had to do something though...

shame that clown got all that money...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #25
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I dont like B.Marshall, dude is a scumbag. However he is an elite talent. Much better than Boldin/Holmes so he warrants more in terms of value plus factor age. Holmes is never gonna be a legit #1 WR and Boldin injury history says enough. Marshall is a stud but I think he is a douche.

He is also close to getting a suspension for an entire year. So he's gotta be careful. Miami got a nice talent. Dont know if he'll do numbers like he did in Denver given the offensive setup. But he gives them a deep field threat. Run game is beasting that opens up play action. Good luck secondaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
Highest paid WR of all time?...Him?

It'll be shortlived. Give the production he put up that was the range he was gonna get. His contract will be topped. I never give much into the "highest paid ______" because its always topped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Denver will be lucky as hell if either of those drafts picks turn out to be a talent like Marshall...

guess they had to do something though...

shame that clown got all that money...

Dez Bryant. Nuff said.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #26
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

I think Holmes is a legit #1 wide reciever. He just put up 1250 yards, has an absolutely clutch resume in big games, and is a guy who can turn nothing into something.

He's not Randy Moss or Andre Johnson. He's not in that league.... doesn't demand that type of attention... but he's still a legit 1 guy in my opinion. He's at the last portion on the list of 1 recievers... but he's there.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #27
RoTM
Local High School Star

Dudes contract disgust me. He hasn't won anything. Hasn't even ever made the playoffs on top of getting benched last year. They should have just made him play a year under the tender since I think hes rfa right? Even if he isn't a franchise tag still would've been better considering there may likely be no football next year.
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #28
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoTM
Dudes contract disgust me. He hasn't won anything. Hasn't even ever made the playoffs on top of getting benched last year. They should have just made him play a year under the tender since I think hes rfa right? Even if he isn't a franchise tag still would've been better considering there may likely be no football next year.

3 straight 100+ catch season, 3 straight 1100+ recieving yard season, 23 tds over the 3yr span. Winning is a team oriented thing. He is getting paid based on his production, impact he brings and the market value of what he can do vs what others are paid at his position? It falls right in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by October 2008
The Buffalo Bills made Lee Evans one of the league's highest-paid wide receivers on Thursday.

Evans signed a four-year, $37.25 million contract extension Thursday which included $18.25 million in guarantees, according to a source. He is now the third highest-paid receiver in the NFL behind the Panthers' Steve Smith and the Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald.

I'm just saying.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #29
RoTM
Local High School Star

I know he has production Gobb, but imo hes a loser like Cutler who also had great production.
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #30
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoTM
I know he has production Gobb, but imo hes a loser like Cutler who also had great production.

Cant disagree there.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: