Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Default Re: Props to Vinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
The Bulls made a serious run at D'Antoni. It wasn't a bluff or something. He was considered the best coach out there at the time and the Bulls persued it. Ultimately, I do agree. It worked out. To me Vinny stresses both sides of the ball instead of Micky D's run and gun with no defense. I think D'Antoni would've done much better with Derrick Rose, Deng, and Noah than what he has in NY, but still, I'm glad we ended up with Vinny.

Ouch, you make a good point. I really didn't think about the "what ifs" from that situation until now. Noah and maybe even Taj could have been stuck in D-League with a D'Antoni system.

Quote:
This is a post after my own heart. Couldn't have been said more perfectly.

Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #17
tamaraw08
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas
I think targeting D'Antoni originally was more of a Paxson-Kerr, secret rivalry. I think even Mike D knew not to take it seriously. LOL. I think they both have made trade rumors, and teased each other, just to poke fun at each others GM'ing skills.

He wasn't the only proven coach available 2 years ago.
Ironically, that worked out, as Mike D ended up with 56 wins in 2 seasons as the Knicks Head Coach, and also with an owner willing to go far into the luxury tax. VDN had 82 wins in 2 years with a cheapskate, so at some point you have to question the motives of a proven coach looking for a payout. There aren't too many Pat Riley, George Karls, and Larry Browns in the league. Anyone can come in, with an aspiring staff and a talented roster, and make them look good.

Makes me wonder how good D'Antoni really is WITHOUT Steve Nash.
I still like Jeff Van Gundy who looked good with talent and even with decent players. His last year with the Knicks was a very difficult one, no more Ewing and yet, they fought hard and was still very organized. He went to Houston and managed to win despite the rash of injuries of Yao, Tmac etc.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #18
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I still like Jeff Van Gundy who looked good with talent and even with decent players. His last year with the Knicks was a very difficult one, no more Ewing and yet, they fought hard and was still very organized. He went to Houston and managed to win despite the rash of injuries of Yao, Tmac etc.

I'm willing to throw out the Mike D argument from any future debate LOL. But it is a good example nonetheless.

I think JVG is phenomenal with scouting and getting short burst talent. Lord knows we needed such insight at parts of this season. Hell, I wouldn't mind him as an executive. I just don't see the Bulls bringing in such a big part of the old Knicks rivalry to Chicago. Even if he was just an assistant for the bulk of that era.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #19
Go Getter
Wild 100's

I think JVG would have a tough time with our young players because he's an egg head little twerp sometimes and he never played the game.

Great basketball mind...good edfensive coach...but his offenses are horrible imo.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #20
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

So we figured it out! lol Lets make JVG our VP of basketball operations and general manager and Byron Scott our head coach! Sounds good to me.
ljsbb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #21
Starkonian
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08

Although I like Van Gundy he's a bad match for this team. He sloooows everything down and calls nearly every play from the side line. The Bulls strength lies in their fast break, run and gun ability and Van Gundy's style takes that away.
Starkonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #22
tamaraw08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkonian
Although I like Van Gundy he's a bad match for this team. He sloooows everything down and calls nearly every play from the side line. The Bulls strength lies in their fast break, run and gun ability and Van Gundy's style takes that away.

The main reason why the Bulls would like to push the ball and run is bec they don't REALLY have great set plays. Come playoff time, everything slows down bec possesions are a lot more valuable, that is why the Suns have not won anything.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #23
tamaraw08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
I think JVG would have a tough time with our young players because he's an egg head little twerp sometimes and he never played the game.

Great basketball mind...good edfensive coach...but his offenses are horrible imo.

Larry Brown is not a great player. Don't remember Popovich ever playing. Jeff is a genius who knows how to adapt and deal with the most difficult ones and has earned the respect of all the players that he coached. Is Magic Johnson a great coach.
Im not going to argue if he is a good offensive coach or not, but the main reason his former teams don't have high scores is bec he likes to engage in a grind it out game taking advantage of his vast knowledge on defense esp his lineup is not superior
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: