Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Need help on dribble driving and shooting problem

The thing is I can dribble and stuff but the driving to the basket is the more difficult part. So today I was playing in a scrimmage during a basketball workout and this kid was not playing good defense he kept pushing and slapping at my hard so hard it echoed in the gym but the coach did not call and the fact that he was well built did not help because if was hurting everytime he pushed and slapped. How do I play physical on offense and be able to drive hard and finish with contact? I want to be able to execute a dribble move like a quick crossover
and go hard to the basket.

ALSO my coach said that I don't square my feet to the basket when I shoot but the problem is I am uncomfortable shooting that way like even in a real game I won't have time to square my feet to the basket. What should I do?
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Need help on dribble driving and shooting problem

Make sure your shoulders are at your defender's hips when your driving.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Make sure your shoulders are at your defender's hips when your driving.

but what if the defender is physically stronger than you and plays very physical.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller

Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far

This is kind of a mindset thing i did with myself (and still do) whenever there is something i don't like i make myself like it and before i know it i thrive off of it and i almost need it to play right. It worked for me with running, and playing physical.

You lie to yourself.

It is as simple as that. Whenever you are driving and the guy is hitting u and pushing u, lie to yourself and tell urself that you love it. It may seem stupid at first but trust me, after about 2 to 3 weeks u will truly love it and people will think ur a freak, but once u like it u will do it more, and u will get better at it and u will do it more often, and get more comfortable doing it.
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
The thing is I can dribble and stuff but the driving to the basket is the more difficult part. So today I was playing in a scrimmage during a basketball workout and this kid was not playing good defense he kept pushing and slapping at my hard so hard it echoed in the gym but the coach did not call and the fact that he was well built did not help because if was hurting everytime he pushed and slapped. How do I play physical on offense and be able to drive hard and finish with contact? I want to be able to execute a dribble move like a quick crossover
and go hard to the basket.

ALSO my coach said that I don't square my feet to the basket when I shoot but the problem is I am uncomfortable shooting that way like even in a real game I won't have time to square my feet to the basket. What should I do?

Anyone can drive hard, but if you don't actually go all out and truly love it you'll probably end up getting stripped, stuffed or throwing up a bad shot or a turnover. Also, you'll have to be careful with the shoulders. Just because a guy's feet aren't set doesn't mean they won't call a charge cause you just bowled him over. But if they're bigger than you, it shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to fool them first to get them off balance since you can't just run into them without killing yourself.

Do a crossover or some step backs to create space, then when they move at you, go at them and aim to crash your shoulder into their shoulder. Chances are you'll get wrecked and head to the line, but if you work on it you could be able to shove them out of the way.

Shooting is all about comfort. There's no point in having Ray Allen's jump shot if you don't feel right using it in a game. You could spend time changing it, but if your shot right now is working, don't bother. You'd get more out of practicing than switching form. For example, about 1 month ago I decided to raise my release point to a little higher, but somehow I overexaggerated it and it ended up over my head. I didn't even notice it was that high until someone pointed it out today, and I saw that it was literally above my head like Rashard Lewis. I'm aiming to lower it a bit so I can shoot further from distance, a la OJ Mayo or Gilbert Arenas.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
This is kind of a mindset thing i did with myself (and still do) whenever there is something i don't like i make myself like it and before i know it i thrive off of it and i almost need it to play right. It worked for me with running, and playing physical.

You lie to yourself.

It is as simple as that. Whenever you are driving and the guy is hitting u and pushing u, lie to yourself and tell urself that you love it. It may seem stupid at first but trust me, after about 2 to 3 weeks u will truly love it and people will think ur a freak, but once u like it u will do it more, and u will get better at it and u will do it more often, and get more comfortable doing it.

I have heard this advice before but I completely forgot about it... it's really good advice though and I can't think of anything better really. Most people have the skills to drive, but they lack the confidence/grit. If you have any sort of first step, you can blow by a lot of people... and those you can't, just either give them a counter move or just ride em into the paint. Sometimes you just have to be like "I am getting to the basket no matter what this MF does" but most of the time you just want to take what they give you. If they are up on you though... you need to take them to the hole and look to score... if help comes then dish it.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #7
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
but what if the defender is physically stronger than you and plays very physical.
Then work on quick footwork to get past your defender.http://www.guidetocoachingbasketball..._handling2.htm
Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Then work on quick footwork to get past your defender.http://www.guidetocoachingbasketball..._handling2.htm

I think footwork is a major part of dribble driving. Im trying to find like drills and exercises I can do to improve my footwork off the dribble to beat the defender
Old 04-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Honestly, you just have to be physical. As you get into higher levels of basketball, there is a lot more pushing, hacking, etc. This took me a long time to learn that sometimes you just need to shove back. You would really be surprised with how much you can get away with. When dribbling you always need to keep a strong arm bar with your off hand as well. put it into the guys chest while dribbling. Good defenders will always have a hand in your pocket.

As far as having your feet squared to the basket while shooting..i myself was always told to have your strong side (righty-right foot) slightly in front of the left. And that is the way i have always shot. honestly i would do whats comfortable
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
Honestly, you just have to be physical. As you get into higher levels of basketball, there is a lot more pushing, hacking, etc. This took me a long time to learn that sometimes you just need to shove back. You would really be surprised with how much you can get away with. When dribbling you always need to keep a strong arm bar with your off hand as well. put it into the guys chest while dribbling. Good defenders will always have a hand in your pocket.

As far as having your feet squared to the basket while shooting..i myself was always told to have your strong side (righty-right foot) slightly in front of the left. And that is the way i have always shot. honestly i would do whats comfortable

yea about the offhand my coach told me to put it right into the players chest but won't that be a off foul?

Also about squaring up to me my feet can be facing the opposite direction of the hoop and I will still make it in. I don't really need to be squared really im trying to adjust into more of a 'jump' shot
Old 04-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
yea about the offhand my coach told me to put it right into the players chest but won't that be a off foul?

Also about squaring up to me my feet can be facing the opposite direction of the hoop and I will still make it in. I don't really need to be squared really im trying to adjust into more of a 'jump' shot

no, like i said earlier you would really be surprised how much you can get away with by being physical. It's better to pick up a couple of fouls playing hard and physical then not and be soft.

honestly, if you have to think about how your feet are pointing and this and that your probably not going to make the shot. it should all feel right and smooth.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:41 AM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:

You won't get called for a foul if you don't extend the arm. Just keep it tight and away from your body a little bit. It seems to me that by doing this, you can really get anywhere you want to go cus once you get a defender off balance, then you can pretty much dictate where you want to go... and that off arm and shoulder are big factors in moving your defender around.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #13
SourPatchKids
Banned

The step back fadeaway is also one of my moves. Not too high percentage but easy to draw a foul.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Nice tips. Also been needing some help on this topic, as even though I'm primarily a big, I think I have enough skills to be able to take it in to the rack. I try to drive more to the basket in games, although I'm not exactly used to contact, also since most of the guys I play with here won't play a lick of defense unless they elbow you and shit. They'd rather focus on scoring.

As for shooting, just do whatever feels comfortable, although as for the feet, you shouldn't turn them too far away from the basket. It'll get the ball a bit off-direction. I don't know how, but that's what I've observed from myself and a lot of other ball players I've played with and/or watch. Just remember to do whatever' comfy and to get majority of the power from your legs. If you depends more on your arms to give power for your shot, it'll more likely go short or REALLY short.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #15
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Nice tips. Also been needing some help on this topic, as even though I'm primarily a big, I think I have enough skills to be able to take it in to the rack. I try to drive more to the basket in games, although I'm not exactly used to contact, also since most of the guys I play with here won't play a lick of defense unless they elbow you and shit. They'd rather focus on scoring..

Yea man it's like that with a lot of people. I play with my friend tho and he trys to block every shot... I mean I can pump him at will (no homo) and I do so for fun sometimes but sometimes I will go right at him just so I can feel that contact. If I don't make contact with him he will most likely block my shot cus he gets up there good... but I make sure I get that contact. Other people though... man they are lazy and don't want to contest. So many times I have easy layups when there are people literally standing right under the cup. The only thing they will do is try smack the ball out of my hands so I get fouled quite a bit. Just find somewhere to play where there are some other bigs... Easier said than done yea lol but where I play quite a few 6'6+ guys come around so they are out there lol.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: