Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
HelterSkelter
OBJECTIVE

Default MORE QUESTIONABLE: Kobe on All-D team or LBJ for DPOY

Here's how I see it..

some are naming LeBron as DPOY because let's admit it.. He does block lots of shots and gets his share of steals..

Kobe on the other hand.. has been named to the All-D team almost every year.. because he's defensive.. and he's always on the passing lanes..

Now, it's questionable because.. DPOY is not all about blocking a guy from behind.. or chasing a guy on fastbreak and blocking him..

and being on the All-D team is not all about a player looking like he's really aggressive on D(LITERALLY).. covering the passing lanes..

both of them are questionable IMO.

LeBron for DPOY? IDK.. if he's getting it because of what he does.. Josh Smith or Gerald Wallace should've been winning it since 07..

Kobe on All-D team.. if he's getting it because of what he does.. All-D 1st team should be expanded to 10 guys.. I mean.. there are lots of guys who plays D like him.. Josh Smith again comes to mind.. it's unbelievable that he hasn't been named to that team. NOT ONCE. even the 2nd team..

Shane Battier.. one of the better D players.. 2nd team was the best he had? and Kobe on the 1st? No.

The Kobe being a defensive player is getting out of hand IMO.

he plays good D.. but not All-D team caliber.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Gotterdammerung
God-killer

Default Re: MORE QUESTIONABLE: Kobe on All-D team or LBJ for DPOY

Kobe is an occasionally great defender, especially when a rival superstar is in town. And that's when the voters watch the Lakers play.
Gotterdammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
TheLogo
Banned

In my opinion Kobe is all over the place....like game1 against OKC. He was very aggressive through out the game.

Lebron blocks a lot of shots and a very good defender but he's not aggressive enough. He hardly tries on defense that's why he doesn't get called for fouls.

You have 6 fouls to give to stop a score and he hasn't even tried.
TheLogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
OnceInADECADE
Banned

Lightbulb Re: MORE QUESTIONABLE: Kobe on All-D team or LBJ for DPOY

kobe is not a great defender anymore sorry kobe homers. i can name 5 better defenders than kobe
OnceInADECADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Bodhi
Local High School Star

Don't get your information from ESPN. LeBron averages one block a game. That is not a lot of blocks.
Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
TheLogo
Banned

[quote=OnceInADECADE]kobe is not a great defender anymore sorry kobe homers. i can name 5 better defenders than kobe[/QUOTE

Kobe is still very good.

Name 5 then.
TheLogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceInADECADE
kobe is not a great defender anymore sorry kobe homers. i can name 5 better defenders than kobe

What an idiot. So because in your mind you can name FIVE out about 400 players that are better than Kobe, that means he isn't a great defender? Dumb. Kobe is a great defender. Did you watch game 1 with OKC? Does he always play great defense? No, because he has to save himself for the offensive side. That's why the Lakers have a guy like Artest, who can focus all his energy onto the defensive side. But that doesn't mean he isn't a great defender. Come playoff time, like last year against Denver, he will go and guard who needs to be guarded. When Kobe needs to, especially 1 on 1 lockdown D, he plays amazing defense and is one of the best in the league in those situations. Another thing, so only Kobe "homers" think Kobe is a great defender? Making an asinine statement like that just makes you look like one of the people who are simply saying that to come off as "cool" and debase a group of people. Maybe he isn't a top 5 defender in your/others eyes, but that doesn't mean he isn't a great defender, unless you are so stupid as to think there are so few as 5 great defenders in the league.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
paperstreet
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
What an idiot. So because in your mind you can name FIVE out about 400 players that are better than Kobe, that means he isn't a great defender? Dumb. Kobe is a great defender. Did you watch game 1 with OKC? Does he always play great defense? No, because he has to save himself for the offensive side. That's why the Lakers have a guy like Artest, who can focus all his energy onto the defensive side. But that doesn't mean he isn't a great defender. Come playoff time, like last year against Denver, he will go and guard who needs to be guarded. When Kobe needs to, especially 1 on 1 lockdown D, he plays amazing defense and is one of the best in the league in those situations. Another thing, so only Kobe "homers" think Kobe is a great defender? Making an asinine statement like that just makes you look like one of the people who are simply saying that to come off as "cool" and debase a group of people. Maybe he isn't a top 5 defender in your/others eyes, but that doesn't mean he isn't a great defender, unless you are so stupid as to think there are so few as 5 great defenders in the league.

just because he can play great defense doesn't mean he should get all d-team.
paperstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Burgz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelterSkelter
Here's how I see it..

some are naming LeBron as DPOY because let's admit it.. He does block lots of shots and gets his share of steals..

Kobe on the other hand.. has been named to the All-D team almost every year.. because he's defensive

that's where I stopped reading
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
RazorBaLade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperstreet

good point. he shouldnt get on all star teams either just because he can play great
RazorBaLade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Fatal9
owwwww

Kobe was actually playing very good defense before his hand injury. There were a couple of games that I made the point of even mentioning in game threads that he had dominated defensively. After that it's been kind of average though. He stopped deflecting balls, stopped reaching to poke the ball lose (actually how he actually hurt his finger iirc), was less aggressive with his hands in general and this is reflected in his steal numbers (over 2 steals before hand injury and just half as many afterwards). Then the entire back injury, knee injury and other ailments piling on really affected his mobility on both ends after January too. I don't know if playing great defense for half the season is All-D worthy, but to act like he's not a great defender anymore is ignorant.

Lets not forget last year's finals btw. Kobe's (and Odom's too) help defense on Howard was one of the biggest factors in shutting down Dwight. He rotated any time he had a read on Dwight turning or going to the middle for his jumphook, and completely took those away from him (Pau also played Howard well). Contrast that with Lebron, who was very late in his help defense on Howard in the ECF last year, and on top of that left the guy he was guarding (Pietrus) open many times for dagger threes. In that situation you have to take away one thing and Lebron did neither, but I guess it's understandable considering what he had to do on offense to keep Cavs afloat (I do think Lebron has become an even better defender this year btw and probably better than KB now). And in the Nuggets series, when Melo was going off on the Lakers, who came in and started playing Melo really physically to slow him down, despite giving up height, size and strength?

Last edited by Fatal9 : 04-20-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperstreet

That wasn't the point of my argument, whether or not he deserves All-Defensive honors. My point is he is still a great defender and there are more than 5 great defenders in the league.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
NBASTATMAN
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelterSkelter
Here's how I see it..

Kobe on the other hand.. has been named to the All-D team almost every year.. because he's defensive.. and he's always on the passing lanes..

Now, it's questionable because.. DPOY is not all about blocking a guy from behind.. or chasing a guy on fastbreak and blocking him..

and being on the All-D team is not all about a player looking like he's really aggressive on D(LITERALLY).. covering the passing lanes..

both of them are questionable IMO.

LeBron for DPOY? IDK.. if he's getting it because of what he does.. Josh Smith or Gerald Wallace should've been winning it since 07..

Kobe on All-D team.. if he's getting it because of what he does.. All-D 1st team should be expanded to 10 guys.. I mean.. there are lots of guys who plays D like him.. Josh Smith again comes to mind.. it's unbelievable that he hasn't been named to that team. NOT ONCE. even the 2nd team..

Shane Battier.. one of the better D players.. 2nd team was the best he had? and Kobe on the 1st? No.

The Kobe being a defensive player is getting out of hand IMO.

he plays good D.. but not All-D team caliber.

Both are a joke.. I have no problem with Dhoward winning DPOY .. As for first team all defense..

RONDO AT PG
SEBOLOSHO OR AFFLALO AT SG
RON ARTEST AT SF
JOSH SMITH
HOWARD
NBASTATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
NBASTATMAN
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9
Kobe was actually playing very good defense before his hand injury. There were a couple of games that I made the point of even mentioning in game threads that he had dominated defensively. After that it's been kind of average though. He stopped deflecting balls, stopped reaching to poke the ball lose (actually how he actually hurt his finger iirc), was less aggressive with his hands in general and this is reflected in his steal numbers (over 2 steals before hand injury and just half as many afterwards). Then the entire back injury, knee injury and other ailments piling on really affected his mobility on both ends after January too. I don't know if playing great defense for half the season is All-D worthy, but to act like he's not a great defender anymore is ignorant.

Lets not forget last year's finals btw. Kobe's (and Odom's too) help defense on Howard was one of the biggest factors in shutting down Dwight. He rotated any time he had a read on Dwight turning or going to the middle for his jumphook, and completely took those away from him (Pau also played Howard well). Contrast that with Lebron, who was very late in his help defense on Howard in the ECF last year, and on top of that left the guy he was guarding (Pietrus) open many times for dagger threes. In that situation you have to take away one thing and Lebron did neither, but I guess it's understandable considering what he had to do on offense to keep Cavs afloat (I do think Lebron has become an even better defender this year btw and probably better than KB now). And in the Nuggets series, when Melo was going off on the Lakers, who came in and started playing Melo really physically to slow him down, despite giving up height, size and strength?

Good post until the end ... I hope you don't think Kobe had anything to do with slowing Melo down in last years wcf.. That was all ariza plus lots of help...

Laker perimeter players like Kobe and Artest are lucky as hell.. They have two seven footers waiting behind them.. Neither is Dhoward but both are pretty good at changing shots.. Even blocking a good amount as well..
NBASTATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
DuMa
Canned

Theres only talk of LeBron winning DPOY. It hasnt happened yet. so it remains questionable but ending the debate at a point because it hasnt been a reality yet.

While there is talk every year that Kobe makes the All-D team, he doesnt deserve it. its obviously more questionable how Kobe makes it since he only plays that doberman defense whenever its opportune for him. and that is probably a bad criteria to judge him on.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: