Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
miniharrison37
"Go Big or Go Home"

Default Colt McCoy drafted so late

I mean i was very surprised when I found out that McCoy went like 85th or 86th. He was a heisman candidate, whyd he go down so late?
miniharrison37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Colt McCoy drafted so late

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniharrison37
I mean i was very surprised when I found out that McCoy went like 85th or 86th. He was a heisman candidate, whyd he go down so late?
Because he is 6-foot-1 and that is being kind. Also, he doesn't have an overwhelmingly strong arm.

However, I'm very happy with the pick. He does seem to have the intangibles and he is very accurate with underneath stuff. He should fit into the West Coast system very well.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniharrison37

He was being projected by many people as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. There's been Heisman WINNERS go much later than McCoy went.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Because he is 6-foot-1 and that is being kind. Also, he doesn't have an overwhelmingly strong arm.

However, I'm very happy with the pick. He does seem to have the intangibles and he is very accurate with underneath stuff. He should fit into the West Coast system very well.

6'1" isn't generous. It should be right on since that's what he got measured at the combine. I don't know how he could have manipulated his height to make himself measure out taller than he really is.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
6'1" isn't generous. It should be right on since that's what he got measured at the combine. I don't know how he could have manipulated his height to make himself measure out taller than he really is.
I'm not saying that he 'manipulated' his height to seem taller at the combine. Obviously, that is his actual measurement. I thought that he was going to come in smaller than that after watching him play for the past few seasons.

Some short guys can 'play tall.' McCoy isn't one of those. His height (or lack thereof) was always incredibly noticeable.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tim Couch all over again
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Tim Couch all over again

Tim Couch was the No. 1 pick overall. I still believe that Couch may have been a different player had he gone to a team that could have protected him and brought him along a little more slowly.

The Browns threw him right into the fire and the line was getting him killed every game.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
His height (or lack thereof) was always incredibly noticeable.

How so?

And I'm not asking to mock you, I really want to know. I can't break down and analyze football players that well. It's not something I've ever been that strong at, but I've never felt like I was watching a QB who is too short when I watched a Texas game. He's not 6'4"+ but he's in the 6'1"-6'2" range which isn't tiny.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
How so?

And I'm not asking to mock you, I really want to know. I can't break down and analyze football players that well. It's not something I've ever been that strong at, but I've never felt like I was watching a QB who is too short when I watched a Texas game. He's not 6'4"+ but he's in the 6'1"-6'2" range which isn't tiny.
Just the way he moved around in the pocket. I always got the idea that he may have been a bit bothered by the height and ability of defensive linemen and linebackers to get their hands on passes. I rarely saw him take a conventional drop back, stand tall in the pocket, and deliver the ball. He seemed more comfortable, to me, when they rolled out the pocket and let him move his feet to create the right passing lanes.

Clausen was the opposite, from what I saw. I was a bit surprised by his lack of height at the combine, because he always seemed to stand tall in the pocket and step into his throws like a conventional QB.

I'm not criticizing McCoy. In fact, I had him rated in front of Clausen coming in to the draft. There are a lot of excellent QBs with unconventional styles.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: