Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #31
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Mel Kiper is a f*ckin idiot...who let him on TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
How in the hell do you know who actually had the best draft? All the talk about draft grades and who had the best draft/worst draft always made me chuckle. You won't know for years. Yeah, I know, the draft is the time of the year when people pretend they're experts at evaluating talent and also psychics...
Agreed. It always makes me laugh when fans rail on their GMs for taking one guy over another guy when, in actuality, we have no clue how things are going to turn out. There are exceptions like the Raiders taking Darrius Heyward Bey last year. That was obviously a horrible pick, but still...

We should probably just wait to evaluate any team's draft or even attempt to give grades.

That said...

Browns - A+

;-)
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #32
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

you can grade drafts based on who made hoorrible reaches and who was able to fill their team's needs with players who are great prospects...

I don't think it is pointless...it just shouldn't be viewed as something that can tell the future...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #33
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
you can grade drafts based on who made hoorrible reaches and who was able to fill their team's needs with players who are great prospects...

I don't think it is pointless...it just shouldn't be viewed as something that can tell the future...
Not every team drafts based solely on needs, though. There are two philosophies... Needs or best available. In reality, all teams likely employ both of these strategies during the course of a seven round draft.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #34
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Reaches based upon what? Kiper's draftboard? How many team has he put together and coached up? Some teams fall in love with a player for whatever reason or just flat out take a risk on some kid's potential. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Draft grades are forgotten a couple days after the draft. I never really see anyone talking about old draft grades. I looked at some a little bit and there's plenty of things that would make you shake your head now.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #35
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Reaches based upon what? Kiper's draftboard? How many team has he put together and coached up? Some teams fall in love with a player for whatever reason or just flat out take a risk on some kid's potential. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Draft grades are forgotten a couple days after the draft. I never really see anyone talking about old draft grades. I looked at some a little bit and there's plenty of things that would make you shake your head now.
This is true. In fact, there is generally little talk about a team's past draft, good or bad. The only exceptions are when a team has an absolutely incredible draft that changes the face of their organization (or an incredibly bad one).

I'd love to see these 'experts' go back a couple years after the draft and re-grade to see how it matches with their original critiques.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #36
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Based on where they could have taken the player as opposed to where they did...I don't think any team is even aware of what Kiper's projections are, that is just for ESPN viewers...f*ck Kiper, lol

like Oakland could have probably traded down and still have gotten DHB last year...maybe Al tried who knows...

the Jags taking Alualu 10h overall...some had him as a 2nd rounder

Denver actually traded up for Tebow, unless they had inside info on a another team that wanted him, that is beyond confusing...

ect...

if a team competely falls in love with a player that is understandable, but they shouldn't draft the guy in the first round if he was a projected 3rd rounder...

Al drafted a saftey last year in the 2nd round that was a projected 7th rounder...Kiper didn't even know who he was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
This is true. In fact, there is generally little talk about a team's past draft, good or bad. The only exceptions are when a team has an absolutely incredible draft that changes the face of their organization (or an incredibly bad one).

I'd love to see these 'experts' go back a couple years after the draft and re-grade to see how it matches with their original critiques.
it seems like Dallas fans, and some Dallas haters, are CONSTANTLY talking about Jerry's drafting and comparing it to Parcells...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: